Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Traveling Suggestions, Need suggestions for my trip!
MattPayton 
  Posted: 28-Feb-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: Knoxville, TN

male

I'm going to Ireland and Scotland this summer and I had some places in mind that I wanted to see, but any sights that I don't know of that you think I should see do please let me know!

Ireland:

In Dublin- General Post Office, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trinity College and Library, National Museum of Decorative Arts and History, Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin Castle.

In Belfast- Falls Road Republican Murals, Peace Line, Ulster Museum.

In Derry- Bloody Sunday Memorial, Museum of Free Derry, People's Gallery Murals.

Other Places- Rock of Cashel, Blarney Castle, Kilkenny Castle, Dunbrody Heritage Ship in New Ross, National 1798 Rebellion Center in Enniscorthy.

Scotland:

Bannockburn, Stirling Bridge, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Edinburgh Castle, Melrose Abby, Inverness, Scone.

Thank you and God Bless!
-Matthew
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 29-Feb-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

QUOTE (MattPayton @ 28-Feb-2012, 09:04 PM)
I'm going to Ireland and Scotland this summer and I had some places in mind that I wanted to see, but any sights that I don't know of that you think I should see do please let me know!

Ireland:

In Dublin- General Post Office, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trinity College and Library, National Museum of Decorative Arts and History, Kilmainham Gaol, Dublin Castle.

In Belfast- Falls Road Republican Murals, Peace Line, Ulster Museum.

In Derry- Bloody Sunday Memorial, Museum of Free Derry, People's Gallery Murals.

Other Places- Rock of Cashel, Blarney Castle, Kilkenny Castle, Dunbrody Heritage Ship in New Ross, National 1798 Rebellion Center in Enniscorthy.

Scotland:

Bannockburn, Stirling Bridge, Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Edinburgh Castle, Melrose Abby, Inverness, Scone.

Thank you and God Bless!
-Matthew

Hey Matt, can I go with you? That way I could show you some cool stuff tongue.gif !

Sounds like you've got a neat, ambitious itinerary. Have a great time!

When the wife and I went to Ireland last year, we pretty much stayed in the west, so I doubt that your time frame would allow you to go that way. Of course, we loved the Cliffs of Moher, the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula. All fantastic and had a little bit of everything; scenery, history, etc.

We really enjoyed visiting Cong in County Mayo. It is known as the place where The Quiet Man was filmed, but it is more than just that. Very neat place. The one place we did not get to go was the Aran Islands. Maybe next time.

Have a great trip!!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MattPayton 
Posted: 29-Feb-2012, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

male

Haha, yeah I hope everything goes well on the trip! I'll definitely see if I can get to any of those places! Thanks for the suggestions!
PMEmail Poster               
heartsong 
Posted: 29-Feb-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Chattanooga, TN

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #68
53,040 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

Matt it sounds like you're going almost everywhere! I only made it to a few places on your list. Can I tag along?

If you can I suggest a visit to the Giant's Causeway, I haven't been there, but it seems to be an incredible place.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
morgana_l_f 
Posted: 01-Mar-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHolly

Realm: North Dakota

female

I second the Giant's causeway. It was very cool. Wear good walking shoes though, there is a bit of a walk if I remember it to get down to the actual causeway. I enjoyed going very early in the morning- around 7:30 or 8.
I also took in both of St. Patricks Cathedrals in Armagh(? It's been 5 years) and the town itself is nice to walk around.
The Mountains south of Dublin are beautiful in the morning fog- and really any time. and Glendalough is very haunting- though it can be a little crowded.

I absolutely adored Scotland. Edinburgh is so cool- check out the science museums- one at the top of the Mile and one near the bottom. They are almost cooler than the castle. Take in the Edinburough after Dark tour- It's a hoot! I also found it fun to travel in the country around Edinburough and Sterling.

Definately wear good walking shoes and get yourself used to walking around a lot. I am so jelous of you!! I want to go back so badly!!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
MattPayton 
Posted: 01-Mar-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

male

Haha, alrighty! I will try to get to as many of the places that you guys have suggested. This is going to be my first time going there, and hopefully not my last! I have always dreamed of going and now my family is finally taking me! Thank you for all the suggestions!
PMEmail Poster               
surfersully13 
Posted: 01-Mar-2012, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Venice, FL USA

female

Aren't the people here so nice & helpful? My first trip to Ireland will be next spring so I'm paying attention to all these responses. I only have 10 days including travel to & from US so we are saving Northern Ireland for another trip. How long are you planning? I am going with 3 of my daughters. 2 of them have been to Ireland and vividly remember how much time they spent waiting for sheep to clear the road. You need to figure more time than you might think just to get from one place to another, at least in the west & central part.
PMEmail Poster               
MattPayton 
Posted: 01-Mar-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

male

I think about two weeks, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to see everything I put down and everything everyone suggested, but I'll certainly try! And yes I do agree! Everyone on here has been very helpful to everything that I have asked and I am very thankful for all the advice.
PMEmail Poster               
surfersully13 
Posted: 02-Mar-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Venice, FL USA

female

Sounds like a lot for 2 wks, but I have a feeling if you are flexible you will be able to do a lot. Jim & I try not to make too many definite plans or reservations too far in advance when we are traveling across the US so we can adjust for weather or if we come across something interesting. Some of our best times have been in places that we just happened to see a sign and followed it. Of course we aren't real fussy about where we sleep - we don't travel to spend our time in fancy hotel rooms so that does make it easier to "play it by ear".

goireland.about.com has lots of travel info & they have a free budget travel newsletter.
PMEmail Poster               
fotogrl 
  Posted: 03-Mar-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

[COLOR=green]
    biggrin.gif i went on a tour group so ours a bit different than your plans... dublin trinity college, museum, go around areas of the liffey, kilkenney restaurant, , bewley's restaurant, the glendalough, the burren, ring of kerry, the stud farm gardens, powerscourt was awesome place,
    My mom got me the FODER'S book on ireland, helped a lot on sights, restaurants to see
    Had a blast so will you!!!

--------------------
    [COLOR=purple]Annmargaret [COLOR=purple]
    PMEmail Poster               
    0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
    Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
    TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
    All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]