Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Makes A Clan?, Don't you have to be of Highland origin?
longshadows 
Posted: 28-Feb-2006, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

male

Let's have some straight talk here. Is is enough to be "Scots", but doesn't one have to also be of a Highland family line? I confess to a sadly deficient knowledge of Scotland and the Clans, but I thought only Highland Scots had clans (wore tartans and kilts).

In that regard, what is a Sept?

Must one be a member of a clan in order to wear that family's tartan with integrity?

Finally, is there any hope for the poor sucker who happens not have been born (to his or her knowledge) from a Clan family? Can anyone "join" a clan? If so, what do you do?

This is a lot of stuff, but I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering about this.

Regards,

Michael in Maine
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 28-Feb-2006, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

One of many Clan and Tartan FAQ's may be found at Electric Scotland Clan and Tartan FAQ, which states that:
"belonging" to a clan is not about the percentage of your blood but about an emotional bond. So if you feel Scottish and you have a Scottish ancestor, however remote, welcome to the Scottish family!

Links for a number of clan websites may be found at Electric Scotland Clan Names.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 12-Aug-2006, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

No , a clan is not necessarily from the highland region.A good synonymous for clan will be family.The sept are branch related to the family.If you do not have any scottish blood , you can possibly join a clan but if you want this officially you have to place a request and it must be accept.The question is waht implication you want to do and how much important it is for you.

For wearing a tartan,this question can be debate a long time.You have a few tartan which are from some specific region, district or country and some are international.Wearing a tartan from a family is a delicate question.Some don't even care about it and have no problem of consciousness, some like me do not approuve it.A tartan are from a family and have an history and taking it with no right or permission it's wrong.Well that's my point of view but hope it answer a few questions.
PMEmail Poster               
rmann 
Posted: 25-Mar-2007, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

You are right on when saying that a Clan is basically a family lineage. Septs are families who may or may NOT be blood related. Mnay times they were families who lived close to a particular Clan and wished to ally themselves for political or defensive purposes.

As far as what tartan is right to wear, each clan may have one or more tartans. The most common of these variants on a tartan are referred to as Modern, Ancient and Hunting. Anyone in the Clan or in a sept of the Clan can wear these.

There are also regional or District tartans. For instance there is an Inverness tartan which anyone with some link to the region can wear. There is a "Maple Leaf" tartan for Canada, and many states have there own offical tartan. There are several tartans for anyone from the United States.

There are also organizational tartans. The Salvation Army has a tartan, the US Marine Corp, US Army and the US Air Force have tartans...probably the Navy too.

Then there are the Universal tartans which anyone is permitted to wear, like the so-called Government tartans. Black Watch falls into this category. Some manufacturers have come up with their own tartans. Stillwater Kilts has one called "Nightstalker" which is quite nice.

If you start looking through Electric Scotland and other places you can quickly come up with several tartans you can legitimately wear, no matter who you are or whether or not you are Scottish. Failing all else, and if you have some money at hand, you can design and register your own tartan.

--------------------
Ray Mann

Mann Family/Clan Gunn
"Aut Pax, Aut Bellum"

Is mios' an t-eagal na 'n cogadh
(Fear is worse than fighting)
PMEmail Poster               
Boudica 
Posted: 14-Nov-2007, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

No, Clan member does not automatically equal Highlander. One of my clans is proof of that. I'm a member of Clan Hamilton, we're Lowlanders. As a matter-of-fact, the head of our clan, the Duke of Hamilton, is the Premier Duke of Scotland. So, no, you don't have to be a Highlander to be a clansman/woman.

--------------------
Twelve men and a piper make a rebellion. - Scottish proverb
PMEmail Poster               
Perkeo 
Posted: 15-Nov-2007, 01:41 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Drink
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #1
2,778,574 Gold!

King of CelticRadio!

Clan: AWARE

How hard do you think it would be to get permission from a clan to wear their tartan?

--------------------
Member since 2004
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
sisterknight 
Posted: 15-Nov-2007, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

i imagine it would depend on the clan/sept, if you want to get technical...but alot of people just wear them without permission!

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 16-Nov-2007, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

As far as I know there are no Tartan police. If you like the tartan wear it. Some of us are fortunate that we have multiple clan associations ( I have about 10) but if you can't find one that you like with a clan you are associated with just wear what you like.

gwenlee
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 16-Nov-2007, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (gwenlee @ 16-Nov-2007, 12:43 PM)
As far as I know there are no Tartan police. If you like the tartan wear it. Some of us are fortunate that we have multiple clan associations ( I have about 10) but if you can't find one that you like with a clan you are associated with just wear what you like.

gwenlee

True. On the other hand --

Nancy-Raven (see post above) had a lovely experience, as I remember, a few years back when she decided to go to the clan to ask permission to wear one of the old MacLean tartans. She wrote to The MacLean, who was very charmed by her request and the respect it showed, and the contact was really pleasant for both of them. Of course she could have worn the tartan anyway, but what a nice feeling to have communicated with the family behind it.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 16-Nov-2007, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 16-Nov-2007, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (gwenlee @ 16-Nov-2007, 12:43 PM)
As far as I know there are no Tartan police.  If you like the tartan wear it.  Some of us are fortunate that we have multiple clan associations ( I have about 10) but if you can't find one that you like with a clan you are associated with just wear what you like.

gwenlee

True. On the other hand --

Nancy-Raven (see post above) had a lovely experience, as I remember, a few years back when she decided to go to the clan to ask permission to wear one of the old MacLean tartans. She wrote to The MacLean, who was very charmed by her request and the respect it showed, and the contact was really pleasant for both of them. Of course she could have worn the tartan anyway, but what a nice feeling to have communicated with the family behind it.

I agree that was a great show of respect. I guess that most people would not think about asking permission I know there are some who get so hung up on the thought that you have to have a connection with a clan in order to wear their tartan.
The Wizard of BC 
Posted: 28-Nov-2007, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Victoria, BC

male

If I may add a quote from Matt Newsome, curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum.

"Find a Tartan you like.
Know what Tartan you are wearing.
Wear it with pride."

It is true that there are no Tartan cops. You need no ones permission to wear the Tartan. However, most people prefer to wear a Tartan that they have, or feel, they have a connection to.

That being said, there are currently approx. 4000 Tartans. Only a small handful of those are Clan Tartans. There are Regional & District Tartans, (Tartans for US States, Canadian Provences), There are corporate Tartans,(Fed Ex and WalMart have their own Tartans), and there are Fashion Tartans (The Burrbury Check that is so popular right now is a good example).

There are Tartans for those with no Clan affiliation. They are popularly known as Universal Tartans. (The Black Watch and Stewart Tartans are the most popular).

The only Tartans which have any restrictions are the Balmoral Tartan that is owned by the Royal Family and those Tartans which have a copyright by their designers and are for specific uses.

--------------------
Steve Ashton
Owner/Kiltmaker

2nd Laird of Lochcaber
www.freedomkilts.com
"I wear the Kilt because;
Swish + Swagger = Swoon"
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 10-Dec-2007, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

Though I am of the Clan Cathcart the tartan is quite expensive so I opted for a cheaper and soemwhat universal Tartan, the "Pride of Scotland" Tartan, it can be found in an inexpensive kilt from www.kiltmart.com I hope this helps, and as for being part of a Clan if you do not know your exact clan or Sept you might like the Clan Cathcart-USA which has Associate memberships, for those that love Scotland and yet do not know their hereditary Clan. We can also help you find your correct Clan if you want. Feel free to contace me for more information on that.

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
MelissaDawn7 
Posted: 27-May-2014, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacOak

female

This is a very interesting topic. It can be confusing when you are looking for a tartan. I always get confused about mine because there are different colors and patterns depending on the region they are from.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]