Elspeth 
Posted: 23-Feb-2006, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Those of you who have studied art, do tell who you love.

I know so little, but I have become aquainted with Renoir.
I love....

"Spring Bouquet" or is it Grande Vasso di Fiori?

"Girls at the Piano"
"Deux Jeunne Filles"
"La Lecture"
"In the Meadow"
"Girls Picking Flowers"

Did he use his daughters as models for these? They remind me so much of my own girls.

Who else painted in the same style and what is the style?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 24-Jun-2007, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Renoir is a French Impressionist painter. " Impressionist painters were considered radical in their time because they broke many of the rules of picture-making set by earlier generations. They found many of their subjects in life around them rather than in history, which was then the accepted source of subject matter. Instead of painting an ideal of beauty that earlier artists had defined, the impressionists tried to depict what they saw at a given moment, capturing a fresh, original vision that was hard for some people to accept as beautiful. They often painted out of doors, rather than in a studio, so that they could observe nature more directly and set down its most fleeting aspects—especially the changing light of the sun.
The style of impressionist painting has several characteristic features. To achieve the appearance of spontaneity, impressionist painters used broken brushstrokes of bright, often unmixed colors. This practice produced loose or densely textured surfaces rather than the carefully blended colors and smooth surfaces favored by most artists of the time. The colors in impressionist paintings have an overall luminosity because the painters avoided blacks and earth colors. The impressionists also simplified their compositions, omitting detail to achieve a striking overall effect."
Encrata
© 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Monet is also a French impressionist. He is one of our favorites. Jean-Thomas always love his gardens. They are so full of color and light. Jean-Thomas always said he could walk in Monet's gardens and smell the beautiful flowers all around him. He loves the light and bright colors and says that is how his garden shall be. Full of light and color and wonderful smells.
RebeccaAnn

PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 24-Jun-2007, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Renoir, Monet, Gauguin, Manet, Toulouse-Lautrec, and van Gogh are my favorites. I've never cared for Picasso or Degas.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 26-Jun-2007, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

I really like Leonardo Da Vinci works because this man was able to capture reality and put it on canvas and also because he was way ahead of his time, he was simply a genius. And Michelangelo who was also a great artist.
Nobody today can paint like this anymore unfortunately.
Videos and digital cameras replaced them.

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
thecelticgiraffe 
Posted: 15-Jan-2008, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: South-Central Pennsylvania

male

One of my favorites has always been the spanish painter Francisco Goya. As an amateur painter myself, when I was younger, I many times copied his paintings in a vain effort to imitate his style. While in Spain, after seeing the real paintings from his "black painting" period near the end of his life (1793-94), I realized I would never achieve that kind of passion and technique and gave up painting forever!

He began as a painter to the Spanish Crown, with courtly paintings and ended a madman, isolated, deaf, painting dark semi-impressionist paintings of fantasy, witchcraft, war and nightmare! This obviously marked a change in his technique and it later influenced several impressionist period painters. He is sometimes considered the last of the great masters and a transition between them and impressionist painters.

Pennsylvania Celtic

--------------------
PMEmail Poster                
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Jan-2008, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

JMW Turner. There is something in the essence of his work that crosses a line between media into pure artistic intention, somehow -- looking at Turner is like hearing Beethoven, or perhaps reading Melville.

This is my favorite:
http://www.tate.org.uk/product/P7-3102_4.jpg
"Peace: Burial at Sea."

I have seen the original in the Tate gallery in London -- the subtlety of the colors is not really in this web representation.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]