> Civil War Re-enacting In The US
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Aug-2007, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ 17-Aug-2007, 07:44 AM)
Nice pictures, Rose!
There are quite a few re-enactments available here in Western NY--I'll likely be participating in one at Hamlin Beach this week-end.
I managed to spend the 1st week of July at Gettysburg--I suspect that it would be impossible to take in all that Gettysburg has to offer, no matter how much time is available. I hope to go back again in November for Remembrance Day.

Hey MMD! Did you participate in a re-enactment this past weekend or is it the next? Either I forgot or didn't realize you were a re-enactor. I would be extremely interested in what is your portrayal and so forth. smile.gif

When I lived in GA, we had several re-enactments. I was not involved in them at the time.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 21-Aug-2007, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 12-Aug-2007, 06:55 AM)
Sekmet, your too funny! Did you find your sense of humor behind the couch? (I am only joking cause you said it!) Ok, so you STILL are a CW re-enactor! For that long?! And your writing a book too? That is so exciting! Please let me know about your book, which story, fact or historical fiction and when you get it finished. Hmm...come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a historical fiction book written about the CW era. Do any exists? I might like to read them.

I did try on some dresses up in Oregon. I just want a simple day dress...if I get into this era or not. I would be on the confederate side. However, I still have to buy proper shoes for 18th century and I have been at that for 2 years!

How cool that you live near Gettysburg. There are several from my group who are going there sometime soon for a field trip. And they are going to re-enact somewhere close by as well.

I recently found the DVD, "Gettysburg" at the grocery store for real cheap. It was filmed in 1993. I am sure some of you have seen it. Since I am behind in my CW history, is this movie/documentary accurate at all? Or is it like "The Patriot" is to us 18thc re-enactors..... puke.gif

Now...to finally answer you...LOL

Yep, I'm a reenactor. I've been dressing in funny clothes and playing with various black powder weapons since about 1992 (so ok, it's been more than 14 years...). I have varying personae, but my main "impression" is Mariah Todd, who is actually an ancestor of mine. Her family moved to this area shortly after the war (but I fudge that for the sake of continuity) from West Virginia, where things were getting ugly. They had originally been from Weston, (West) Virginia. A lot went on for the family during the war, so she provides a lot of grist for first person presentations.

Beyond that, I also do first and third person presentations in tandem with my husband. Once upon a time we did an undertaker "schitck", which started off as a running joke and turned into a really popular subject for living history weekends and school demos. LOL

That's actually how I started my jewelry business...through reenacting. I started making jewelry for the women in my unit once I did some research and it snowballed. rolleyes.gif

I'm director of the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company I. We're really small anymore, and most of the events have turned to school demos and teaching events, but we're still here. We also have a sister group, the 1st West Virginia Light Artillery, Battery B. So yes, I play with artillery for fun and profit too. Got my certifications and everything. I'm also kicking around joining the Blue and Gray Brigade, but that's subject to me having time. Which I don't have. LOL

I also teach in and around Gettysburg from time to time, subjects ranging from basic show and tells, womens' issues during the period, local (Western Pennsylvania) units who were present and active during the battle, to ghosthunting. Just depends. tongue.gif

My research partner and I are in the process of writing a book about the 11th. He wants to broaden the scope to include their entire history, I want to do a separate one on their action at Gettysburg since it's not a unit that has seen a lot of attention (we ain't the 20th Maine). In either case it's been percolating, mostly at this point we're looking for more "flavor" information in the form of letters and diaries so that people don't die of boredom from the onslaught of dry information. *That*...has been a challenge.

I also write on my own, and I've done historical fiction off and on. I have a manuscript that's been sitting at about 330 pages for a few years now, dealing with the story (melodrama) of Ginny Wade, Wesley Culp and Jack Skelley. I've put it on hold for the time being, mainly because I need a few months of research under my belt before I can pick it back up again. Every time I think I have the story straight, I get a new source that changes the picture. LOL It's not quite the story they tell the tourists, I'll say that much.

There's a good bit of historical fiction about the period, it's just a matter of finding it. Many deal with just the battles and have little to do with the "back home" life. Though I must say Michael and Jeff Shaara's books (Killer Angels, Gone for Soldiers, Gods and Generals) are good ones. I look at the ones Newt Gingrich wrote and just twitch...I confess I've never cracked their covers yet.

Yes, I know all about the movie Gettysburg. LOL And I know quite a lot of people who were in it too. But that's another post. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 22-Aug-2007, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 20-Aug-2007, 07:11 PM)

Hey MMD! Did you participate in a re-enactment this past weekend or is it the next? Either I forgot or didn't realize you were a re-enactor. I would be extremely interested in what is your portrayal and so forth. smile.gif

When I lived in GA, we had several re-enactments. I was not involved in them at the time.

It was last week-end.
I usually base my impressions on my ancestors--my research to date has shown 3 gg-grandfathers, 2 ggg-uncles, and well over 100 cousins who served on both sides of the conflict, mostly in the SW VA, SE KY, NE TN, NW NC area, but also several in Missouri and Texas, as well as a few in other states.
I have a list of the units in which my ancestors served that shows just how divided families were.
Just to show how confusing thing could be, 3 of my Missouri cousins planned to meet in town to enlist at the same time. Somehow, 1 went to the recruiter for one side and the other two went to the the recruiter for the other side. They didn't discover until after the war was over what had happened. Missouri and Appalachia tended to be like that--with very divided loyalties among those living there, neither central government having total control and both sides operating in much the same area at any given time. Adding to the confusion was that the local "militias" or home guards on both sides tended to wear civilian clothing, and the Confederates often wore captured Federal uniforms. At the re-enactment this past week-end I portrayed a Confederate with a Federal uniform and Conferate accoutrements.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Sep-2007, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Mailagnus! I bet you had fun last weekend. It is very interesting how families were divided back then. The history is very fascinating to me. At one time I studied a lot of it, but have forgotten so much of that era.

I find it fascinating how you base your impressions on your ancestors. I know a lot of people do that and that is something I would like to do with my 18thc re-enactments. But my family history is different on both sides and I am confused on which I would want to be! I can't decide if I want to be a Quaker from PA or Scottish immigrant in NC. So instead, I am taking the easy way and portray a Scottish maid servant for French aristrocrats who are allies for the Jacobite cause and the Bonnie Prince! My friends portray the French Le Compte and Le Comptesse and I am their maid. biggrin.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 12-Sep-2007, 09:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Sekmet! Whew! I am finally getting around to answering you as well!

Your re-enactment career and history was really awesome to read about! You do a lot! It appears your involved in every aspect of the hobby. And, your in PA too! A lot of re-enactments seems to go on there or around. I have several internet 18thc friends who live there. They have been a tremondous help to me in every way.

Very exciting about your writing endeavors. I don't know how authors get anything written due to all the research involved, especially when they have deadlines by the publishers. My SIL is going through that right now. She has three books in the works!

So you make the jewelry as well? I have purchased some jewelry at the CW sutlers because some of it is so close to what we wore in the 18thc. And I find it a whole lot cheaper too!

I am acquainted with the authors you mentioned. Have looked through their books but have not purchased them. I did find a historical fiction novel by a female author. Now her name escapes me. will have to look it up again. I love reading historical books about women. What their lives were like, their diaries, etc. I have several of those from different periods.

Well hope your doing well! I have two events coming up in November that I am preparing for (research). Just that little bit for me is daunting. I can't even imagine what you have to do to write a book!

ChildoftheMist 
Posted: 02-Nov-2007, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

female

Vincennes, Indiana, has a few re-enactments.

Rendezvous takes place Memorial Day weekend, and has grown through the years. It's a wonderful fun time focusing on Revolutionary War re-enactments.

In September, a Civil War re-enactment takes place on the same ground (Spirit of Vincennes coordinates all of these). It's not as big, but they're only in the 3rd year or so.

Muster on the Wabash is this weekend, at Fort Knox II just north of Vincennes. William Henry Harrison and Tecumseh usually "go at it."

We don't have any Renaissance Festivals in the area, but I do wish we did.

--------------------
Say little but say it well.--Celtic proverb
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Nov-2007, 12:09 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

We'll be participating in the American Heritage Festival here in AZ in a couple weeks. It has all periods of American history, but the Civil war is a favorite.

www.wemakehistory.com

ChildoftheMist 
Posted: 19-Nov-2007, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

I don't know any details, but for the Lincoln Bicentennnial at Lincoln State Park this coming May (Mother's Day Weekend), there is supposed to be a Civil War re-enactment. Scouts are having a MAJOR event that weekend, also.
PMEmail Poster               
ChildoftheMist 
Posted: 19-Nov-2007, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

I forgot to mention, Lincoln State Park is in Southern Indiana, approximately 1 to 1-1/2 hours from Evansville, Indiana (or west of Louisville, about the same distance).
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]