RavenWing 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

The dreams thread got me thinking about this. How do you view death? Do you believe in an afterlife, or reincarnation?

Within 9 months my father, his twin brother (my uncle), an aunt, and a good friend from high school all passed away. This made me face my own fears on death, and helped me to form my own beliefs on what happens after death. (Most of which I am still not sure about, but I am always coming to new conclusions)

The biggest thing I had to realize was that death is only bad for those who are still alive, and death is as much a part of life as birth. I have learned to not fear it.

I do believe in reincarnation. I am not completly sure about what happens after reincarnation. I tend to see the gods as a pool of light, and each life is a part of the pool of light that comes back when we die.

Well, these are some I my ramblings. Please contribute if you desire.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

You learn quickly grasshopper!!

Death is not only an end but a beginning! Reincarnation or life after death, I do not see a difference for both are a continuence.

Our lives end in the present to make way for those who must live the future. Our energy will always be present in the scheme of things, how it manifests itself remains to be seem.

I have always held that grieving at death is a form of selfisness, Dont get mad, it is for ourselves we grieve and not the one gone. I have studied many religions and was brought up in the Judo-christian train of thought, which has changed greatly in the centuries. Death is a celibration time, remember the life, rejoice that the burdens of this life have been lifted, and pray that the spirit will find peace where ever it travels.

I also believe that what you do in this life will effect what your spirit must endure in the next level of existence, be it reincarnation, Valhala, heaven or hell.

I know I would like to come back as a well treated house dog or cat!!!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

It would be great to come back as my cat. He is the most pampered creature I have ever seen biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

Good topic Mary. esp. since samhain is right around the coroner. wink.gif

I have many thoughts on this subject. Where does the"soul" life force, energy go? Not sure. Maybe Valhala, avalon, the great hunting ground.. I could go on. There is a common ground for the afterlife in many faiths.

I personally feel, that there is somewhere we all go. But for how long we stay is another thing. It could be a lay over, before we are off to live and learn are next life. Or do we have so many challenges, we need to endure before we get "there".

I will agree shadows that grieving is selfish. But in a way it is a closure. When my grandfather died, some 8 years ago. He died and that was it. No funeral, no layout, nothing. It was like he never exisisted in a way. I know that when you die that is kindda how it is. If there is knowone to remember you, you almost didn't exisit then. But with my Grandfather, there is no grave, nothing. It just bothers me. There is nothing for the great gandchildern to see, to even prove he was here. He sits in a box, on a shelf at my aunts house. And that's it.
I know this is an unsusal example... but that is my only relative that has died. Aside from my G. grandmother...and I was very young, and my former wife's mom. That was not a good time for anyone... GEeezzzz

A few friends, over the past few years....

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
MDF3530 
  Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I'm not trying to be funny, but I think that the afterlife is like the Albert Brooks movie Defending Your Life. For those of you who've never seen the movie, I'll describe it as best I can:

Albert Brooks plays Daniel Miller, an advertising executive, who's killed in a car crash. Before he can pass on into the afterlife, he has to go through an examination to see whether or not he's conquered his fears and insecurities. Based on that, he either gets sent back to Earth or passes on.

A couple of months ago, I almost found out what the afterlife would be like. I was on a ramp going from one highway to another here in the Chicago area and I was between two trucks. The truck behind me was a lot closer than he should've been. If I'd had to stop for any reason, I would've been killed.

Personally, I made my peace with death several years ago. You just never know when your number's up. Look at two men who died on the same day last week: actor John Ritter and country singer Johnny Cash. Polar opposites of each other. John Ritter shocked me because it was so sudden. Johnny Cash shocked me too, but that was because with the way he lived for years, I thought he'd die sooner than he did.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Sep-2003, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

I find nothing wrong with finding humor in it. smile.gif

PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 23-Sep-2003, 05:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I believe completely in the words of John 3:16 - God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son so that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (forgive any paraphrasing) But I do wonder what we do in heaven.
The writer John Eldredge contents a new heaven and earth is formed. So we don't lose the familiar, it just becomes perfect - no sickness, no death, no oils spills, etc. but there are still things to be tended to. I can't imagine having nothing to do for eternity.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
Elspeth 
Posted: 24-Sep-2003, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Oops..... Didn't realize I was in the Pagan Forum. Still new to the workings of the site. Hope you didn't mind input from another train of thought.
I like keep an open mind while keeping my base beliefs unshaken. For God as I know Him, is so vast we cannot begin to comprehend all His majesty. For example, I belive God has written much in His creation of heaven and earth and therein lies many of the secrets to life and living. God speaks to all in their own language.
I'll shut up now.......... sorry if I intruded.
barddas 
Posted: 24-Sep-2003, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Sep 24 2003, 10:53 AM)
Oops..... Didn't realize I was in the Pagan Forum. Still new to the workings of the site. Hope you didn't mind input from another train of thought.

No problem at all. smile.gif Everyone is welcome to post here. As long as everyone is repectful of EVERYONES beliefs. That is what makes us all a little different. wink.gif

Cheers
PMEmail Poster                
Elspeth 
Posted: 24-Sep-2003, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Being one who has adopted words as her medium, I must first modify this before I agree. smile.gif
I cannot promise to respect all of your beliefs, just as you may not respect all of mine. BUT, I do promise to respect you as a person and your right to embrace, without attack, the beliefs of your choice, be they ones I agree with or not.
Of course, I do love to debate. cool.gif
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 28-Sep-2003, 11:12 PM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

All I know is... I want to come back as a Brass Pole. Of course, with my luck, I'll wind up in a Firehouse.
biggrin.gif
Hey. You die. You rot. You're found 5,000 years later, and finally get your 15 minutes of fame.
biggrin.gif
Okay. Seriously. I'll let you know when I'm in heaven with my friends and family... atleast if St. Peter doesn't read this post. If that doesn't work... I'll have John Edward post on here for me!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Shadows 
Posted: 29-Sep-2003, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (Gaelic Bread @ Sep 29 2003, 01:12 AM)
All I know is... I want to come back as a Brass Pole. Of course, with my luck, I'll wind up in a Firehouse.
biggrin.gif
Hey. You die. You rot. You're found 5,000 years later, and finally get your 15 minutes of fame.
biggrin.gif
Okay. Seriously. I'll let you know when I'm in heaven with my friends and family... atleast if St. Peter doesn't read this post. If that doesn't work... I'll have John Edward post on here for me!!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

Brass Pole...interesting concept! I had always thought a bicycle seat on a womens bike would be good....BUT!

Visions of Rosey O'Donel and Janet Reno bring me back to reality! wink.gif biggrin.gif unsure.gif

Elspeth 
Posted: 29-Sep-2003, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

OK, this has gotten way out of proportion.

So, to get things back on track I'm going back to a quesion I asked a question before things got nutty.

If you believe in an afterlife, what do you think we do there?
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 30-Sep-2003, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

When I was a young girl death was always so frightening and looming. As I have grown through the years and lost my brother in 1997, death has taken on a whole new meaning. To me death is a doorway to the other side---a sort of passageway. It was said earlier in the thread that crying over the death of a loved one is selfish. Partly it is selfish, but it is also a sort of memorial of love to their memory. I've have cried many tears over the death of my brother, maybe because of the way he left us so suddenly it was like a kick in the stomach. Last night was really hard for me, because I thought I heard his voice and it brought in a flood of memories and emotions. We humans are strange creatures who form bonds of love and friendship. Those ties that bind are hard to let go of, because they have become intertwined with who we are. So I will cry my bitter-sweet tears---sometimes selfishly and sometimes over the ties that still pull at my heart.

As to where we go when we die? It is up to us. I personally believe one being created this expansive universe---it is a wondrous miracle! God or whatever you choose to call Him/Her (I believe God is neither female or male---God's both! Because we were created in His image).
Man has for centuries tried to connect with their creator, by reaching up or out with their own feeble comprehensions. I don't believe in religion. Religion is our human-ness of rituals and actions of trying to make sense of who/what God or god(s) are/is. I believe in relationship. I have a relationship with God not because I reached up to Him, but because He reached down to me.

I'm just sharing my thoughts on death. rolleyes.gif
Thanks Mary for opening up the topic. smile.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Oh my. Well, first of all I have to agree with Roisin-Teagan that grieving isn't selfish. It's an affirmation of the love that we felt(feel) for someone and an acknowledgment that they've truly had an effect on our life.

Secondly, I do believe in Heaven, but I'm not convinced it's reserved only for us humans. It would seem extremely sterile without the presence of animals (especially those that have been dear to us). Also, Elspeth has made a good point about an Eternity with nothing to do. Vacations are wonderful, but eventually I imagine we would need a purpose to continue. Maybe that's the time when we're sent back here???? That's a question I've never been able to come to terms with.

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]