Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What Is Home To You?, it's more than just four walls
ghost 
Posted: 17-Aug-2005, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Remember that storybook house you drew when you were six? You know, the square with a door, a walkway, two windows, a peaked roof and a chimney with a flourish of curly smoke? Turns out that between six and grown-up, our idea of home grows up too. It's more than just four walls, it could be PJ's or a friendly smile, maybe a faithful pet...

I'ved lived in quite a few places, like a gypsy, friends come and go, I have a revolving door set up. smile.gif I haven't found it yet but I remain optimistic, I know it's there, somewhere. Funny, it upset my mother a couple of years ago when I told her that I never felt at home growing up; I always knew there was somewhere else I was supposed to be. I figure when it happens, I'll just know.

What's yours?
PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 19-Aug-2005, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

My home is a haven for my family, a place where all are welcome regardless of their age or the time of day. A place where are pretenses are left at the door, and where you are always greeted with a hug, and where you are always told "I love you" when you depart. A place where you can share both tears of sadness or fear, and tears of joy. A place that no matter what you've done you will be accepted and loved.

This is our goal of how to equip and fill the four walls of our house. It also illustrates the difference between "home" and "house".

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

My home is where my heart is,it's where I want to come back after a long absenceThe house is the place , the walls and everything with it.My home is a place where I feel in security , free to do what I want.Everyone is welcome and don't need to call before they come in case they disturb.Like Shamalama said ,it depend of what we put with the walls and make a difference between home and house.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Sep-2005, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Eventide @ 17-Aug-2005, 03:05 PM)

I've lived in quite a few places, like a gypsy, friends come and go, I have a revolving door set up. smile.gif I haven't found it yet but I remain optimistic, I know it's there, somewhere. Funny, it upset my mother a couple of years ago when I told her that I never felt at home growing up; I always knew there was somewhere else I was supposed to be. I figure when it happens, I'll just know.

I understand what you mean by this. It gave me a little shock of recognition, to be truthful, and yes, it's sometimes hard to tell people you feel this way, because you know they will be hurt by it.

I found some kind of essential home in my work, almost in the abstract, and close colleagues are often more my family than my actual family. The concrete result is that my workplace always has homelike features to it -- snacks, coffee and tea making things, personal artifacts, a shawl, several pairs of shoes, fresh flowers -- and my home is always set up to work. There is no separation of functions for me. (I know that some people like to keep these domains very separate, and when they clock out at night they are somebody else, and that can be important too.) I also find that if I am in a foreign city, no matter where I am, if I want to feel a shot of "home", to get centered and oriented, I can just drop in to the local library and go hide in the stacks where they keep the journals of my field, and just read for a while.

In my house, the heart of the home is a huge table where people can come to eat, or talk, or study or work together. So I'm not a hermit smile.gif -- I need that kind of communal life too. Bit it doesn't seem to be attached to four walls.
PMEmail Poster               
ghost 
Posted: 07-Oct-2005, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Sorry it took me this long to read this!

It's just that I've moved around so much in my life that I can't afford to get too emotionally attached to four walls. My "home" would be talking my SO or seeing my brother smile...
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 07-Oct-2005, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

A place where my family and I can feel safe, happy, and like we belong. In other words, not Edmonton. tongue.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
urian 
Posted: 07-Oct-2005, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

Often times the word home is associated very closely with a physical place. A house or building where someone spent years of their life or a place where many good things may have happened to them.
I sat down the other day and counted up the number of times I remember moving and changing houses. 30. 30 times in 30 years of my life. So, by the traditional standard, I have no home to call my own. However, I tend to view the world a bit differently than most people.
A home for me has always been a place where I could feel comfortable, safe, and let my gaurd down. a place where I could be myself and express myself without ridicule.
for a time Celtic was a place where I felt that way. There have been place where I have felt like that in real life as well. My home town, for example. Mind you, its not a home town in the traditional sense because I only lived there for a year or so when I was around 3. But, most of my father's relatives are there and I have a great many happy memories about the entire town. Once I drive into it I feel my gaurd dropping and I know I can be myself and the people there love me no matter what.
I think, to make a short story long, home truly is a place of sanctuary, security, and love....where the heart is.

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]