Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The World Of Academia, Driving me crazy!
SCShamrock 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ 14-Sep-2005, 12:00 PM)
You can call me an old stick in mud if you'd like but this thread appears to belong in the Philosophy, Science & Religion forum.

Just my two cents,

MacE

Maybe, but I'll bet it makes its way to a religious discussion before too long. smile.gif

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
reddrake79 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 10:30 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: oregon

male

Can you have science without religion (or personal beliefs)?

--------------------
Friendship, Love, and Loyalty
PMEmail Poster               
Dugadelphia 
Posted: 14-Sep-2005, 10:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: The Pacific Northwest...land of tall trees, blue water, software and endless lattes

male

Without religion, yes.

Without personal belief or some degree of preconceived notions or bias, no.

--------------------
Welcome to the Machine...
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Sep-2005, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Dugadelphia @ 14-Sep-2005, 11:57 PM)
Without religion, yes.

Without personal belief or some degree of preconceived notions or bias, no.

True. I also think that even without a specific dogma, a scientist that is dedicated to his or her work is very likely to be moved by the phenomena being studied, and not just remain matter of fact about it. There's a baseline enthusiasm that turns into something like awe when it's confronted with the beauty, or the intricacy, or the elegance of whatever it is.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 15-Sep-2005, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Platypi are so funny.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Sep-2005, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 13-Sep-2005, 04:36 PM)
Some species of monkeys still have tails. What holds that in place? A tailbone. Humans have tailbones too, which is clear evidence that, at one point during the formation of the human body, it had a tail.

LOVE the picture!!! That makes me think God has a good sense of humor, like looking at a hippo does.

But as far as the evolution theory goes, I don't think the fact that humans have a backbone means that they ever had a tail. It just means that they just have backbones.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 18-Sep-2005, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

There is a vestigial tailbone in humans (coccyx) that has no practical function, except to get bruised and very painful and slow to heal when humans have sit-down accidents like slipping on ice and landing on their butts. Also, human fetal development follows the overall pattern of evolution, and embryos and early fetuses certainly do have tails. smile.gif

This need to split the issue into "either-or" really mystifies me. Is it impossible to postulate that God used evolution as a tool?

Is it that God isn't getting equal time in the educational system that is the issue?

Or is there a desire to separate the human species from all the rest of nature, so some superior (and therefore privileged) position and prerogatives can be inferred?

It's kind of sweet that you make the jump from YOU finding hippos and platypi funny-looking, to GOD has a sense of humor for making them that way. The hippos and the platypi, however, probably don't see it that way at all, and why should they?smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 27-Sep-2005, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

I've had similar questions Stoirmeil. Why isn't evolution the methodology of an intellegent designer? Why is creation thought of as finished not ongoing? Why isn't it thought of aesthetically, as a work of art so adroit that aspects of the creation also create, perhaps perpetually.

To me, its sad that intellegent design as a theory is so often hijacked as a surreptitious attempt to justify Christian dogma via science, and that there's a dearth of a more creative approach to possibilities which don't conform to Christian assumptions. Christian concepts seem to follow intellegent design everywhere like loyal pooch to master begging for biscuits of vindication.

Acknowledgement of a creator implies no specific intent except to create and facilitate continuity of an orderly functionality thereof. While amorality for example has affected the microchasm (human society), its effect hasn't circumvented the cosmic order, though I guess that would depend on your definition. I just have trouble gazing at the universe and imagining a teleological argument that includes a cosmic overseer fixated upon micromanaging the morality of mankind and enacting "His" judgements within a reward/punishment paradigm. Its a kindergarden idea bereft of beauty or intelligence, IMO, whereas the universe itself is not (understatement du jour).

The persistence of human tendency to parse viewpoints into opposite extremes, as if only those possibilities were worthy of consideration, is probably one of the most dysfunctional bits of pseudo-comprehension imaginable, not to mention frustrating to interact with. Considering the lack of utility of such encapulations (assuming a true and comprehensive understanding is sincerely desired to begin with), one wonders why such habits are held so tenaciously. Enlighten me Stoirmeilanandaji!

By the way, wasn't this thread about the pains of Academia? Come now, evolution vs. creationism can't be the ONLY arthritic restraint to intellectual mobility in that august body!

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 14-Nov-2005, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

QUOTE (SCShamrock @ 28-Jul-2005, 09:09 AM)
What's driving me nuts is the two classes I am taking right now: Religions of the world, and environmental science.

Just think of the classes in a way that you think of the stories more than the religious aspects. For instance, Mecca. This is a great story. Even if you don't believe in why it happened it still happened and it is history. Don't take the religions class as anything other than a history course. Think of it as understanding other cultures, and how can one see something wrong with that. What is really funny is that as a Christian you may still dissagree with what your book says about Christianity. As far as science goes, well I understand look at it with an open mind. Try not to look at it too indepth just memorize what the book/notes say and take the test.

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
SCShamrock 
Posted: 15-Nov-2005, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (Celtic cat @ 14-Nov-2005, 05:07 PM)
Just think of the classes in a way that you think of the stories more than the religious aspects. For instance, Mecca. This is a great story. Even if you don't believe in why it happened it still happened and it is history. Don't take the religions class as anything other than a history course. Think of it as understanding other cultures, and how can one see something wrong with that. What is really funny is that as a Christian you may still dissagree with what your book says about Christianity. As far as science goes, well I understand look at it with an open mind. Try not to look at it too indepth just memorize what the book/notes say and take the test.

Thanks Cat for the advice. Actually, I finished those classes and have since taken and finished two others.

So I'll give a little update. Currently, I have 30 credits earned since December 24 of last year. I received my first -A this last set of classes, and am now sitting at a 3.97 GPA. Now I am taking a break, the first since starting 10 months ago. I'll take a month off, and then get back to it and finish in another 10 months.
PMEmail Poster               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 15-Nov-2005, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

Opps sorry about the lateness then, but grats on finishing your "semester" well.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 11-Dec-2007, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

On the possibility of Evolution I have but 2 things to say. Firstly, man is not superior to the apes, they do not rob eachother nor steal eachothers mates. Second no ape would ever stoop so low as to try and rig an election to become the leader as George Bush did, thus Apes are superior, and yet that may prove Evolution for if you pile a load of wood and pipes and wires it does not evolve into a building it rots so in fact Evolution may be going from a superior form to an inferior!

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]