Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Best Websites For Research, What's Your Favorites?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 26-Jun-2005, 01:46 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah! I know what you mean. laugh.gif I don't have that kind of cash either so I had quit and let my cousins take over who were willing to spend the money! angel_not.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MsKaty 
Posted: 02-Aug-2005, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

female

I haven't had a chance to utilize this but a lot of Scottish Clans have their own resident geneologist. From what I understand they are able to do & find quite a bit of info.
Just thought you'd like to know & maybe already did!
MsKaty
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

No, I didn't know that. Thanks MsKaty for the information. How do you go about it? Do you contact a clan society on the net or what?
MacSimoin 
Posted: 16-Sep-2005, 04:53 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Just a brief opinion:

For the money, features, ease-of-use, support and depth of available information, Ancestry.com is by far the best of the listed subscription-based sites. I've been using Ancestry.com for several years and I'm more than happy with the site. biggrin.gif

For non-subscription use, the LDS site can be fairly useful as well but be cautious of incomplete information and records.

As always, I'd recommend you validate and cross-reference any information you find on any of these sites (subscription-based or not) with other available records to ensure you're on the right path. Occasionally, you'll find that information posted at these sites can be misleading and downright inaccurate (even on subscription-based sites). Be cautious who you communicate and share records with and by all means do not divulge any personal information about yourself or your immediate family.

If you have the time, money and patience, invest in the skills and experience of a reputable genealogist---and ask for references if you choose to enlist their help. If they're not willing to provide references, move on and find someone else who can and will.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Sep-2005, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh thanks so much, MacSimoin! That helps tremondously as I have always liked ancestry.com as well. thumbs_up.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 19-Oct-2005, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I've just got a second today and thought I'd ask here - does anyone know if Bell is a Scottish name?

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 19-Oct-2005, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 19-Oct-2005, 02:06 PM)
I've just got a second today and thought I'd ask here - does anyone know if Bell is a Scottish name?

This should give you the info you are looking for: http://www.clanbell.org/

Motto: I Beir The Bel
Names associated with the clan: BEAL, BEALE, BEALL, BELE BELL BELLE BEL MACMOIL

PMEmail Poster               
Gwion Bach 
Posted: 27-Nov-2005, 07:35 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

male

I am trying to find records that precede the Easter rebellion. It seems a lot of records were 'lost' (destroyed) during that time.

I've run into I dead end. With common surnames such as McGrath in Clare and Lyons in Mayo it is difficult find any information.

Any points to sources will be greatly appreciated.

I have been able trace the family in the USA, but that is only three generations including myself. Some arrived here prior to 1916, but not by much, so the tracing is difficult.
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 27-Nov-2005, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

One of the hardest things about researching, is going through page after page of postings from others on genealogy pages. If you take your time and read each one, it can be rewarding. With that said, you will stay very busy with the two names you are searching. Start here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll...f3=&f8=&sx=&f6= and here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll...f3=&f8=&sx=&f6= When you get burned out and frustrated mark your spot that you left on and switch to the other name. Since Lyons has over 26,000 posts alone, you will be very busy there.

Also, post whatever you do know under those names and don't be vague. If you post useless info, people viewing your post will have no idea what you are really looking for.

You are correct about lack of official records. Both counties you are dealing with, lost most of their records, either, through the riots or during WWII when Ireland recycled the paper that the records were on.

Check you PM box. I'm sending you an e-mail address for you to contact that person who should help a bit for County Mayo info.
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 26-Jun-2006, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

I'm back into geneology mode again...always seems to happen after a family reunion. Anyway my family actually has a book published with the lines verified up until the 1900's. Work in process now to create the coverage for the past 100 years or so. Anyway there are tons of published geneologies out at http://www.higginsonbooks.com and some are very reasonably priced and some like mine are a bit more but well worth the investment if it's something you're going to base your searches from.

I think I'm actually going to pick my great grandparents and work forward in time so that I can at least get all the information I can on the new generations so that when it's time to pull the new book together I'll have already compiled all the information I need from my aunts and uncles and their kids and grandkids....

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
olsongayle 
Posted: 01-Jun-2014, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

female

Thanks for posting these resources! There are several that are new ones to me. I will definitely check them out.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]