Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Hey guys. Annham gave me an idea with her mention of alternative renewable fuels. I'm sure some of you have heard of using corn based Ethanol as a fosil fuel replacement, but how many knew you already burned it in your vehicle? I didn't. Here's an article to put things in perspective.

ETHANOL
Ethanol, a pure alcohol made primarily by the corn refining industry, is today's alternative fuel. Henry Ford first suggested running cars on ethanol from corn, but it took the oil shortages of the seventies and the environmental problems of the eighties to turn ethanol into an important component in the American fuel supply. Ethanol-blended fuels account for 12% of all automotive fuels sold in the U.S.

Ethanol is made by fermenting sugars produced from corn starch. Many corn refining factories produce both ethanol and other corn products like starches and sweeteners so that capital and manufacturing costs can be kept as low as possible. While they are making ethanol, corn refiners also produce valuable coproducts such as corn oil and corn gluten feed.

Ethanol plays three major roles in today's economy and environment. First, it replaces about $2 billion dollars of imported oil with a secure, domestic fuel. Second, it is an important component of gasoline reformulated to reduce pollution in cities which are not achieving air quality standards mandated by the Clean Air Act. And finally, it provides a major income boost to farmers and rural communities where most ethanol is manufactured. Ethanol, blended with gasoline at a 10% level or in the form of ethyl tertiary butyl ether (ETBE) made from ethanol, is effective in reducing carbon monixide levels, ozone pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from automobile exhaust.

Corn Refiners Association Ethanol development
Ethanol Timeline
Canada catching up and using Ethanol in all fuels
A view against the exclusive use of Ethanol

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

When I lived in Pennsylavania, several of the gas stations I used to frequent used Ethanol in their fuels. It was marked right on the pumps.

It would be nice if it's use was a little more wide spread. Politics. That's all I have to say.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

guessing it wouldn't be safe to use 100% without modification though, would it?

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

oldraven 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I imagine it would take some modifying, and you'd probably go through a lot more of it than gasoline. But read that last article linked at the bottom. Ethanol is by no means the perfect replacement for fosil fuels, but more a step in the right direction. I honestly think once a hydrogen fuel cell can be made ultimately contained, and impenetrable, that will be the answer. A renewable resource that creates nothing but pure water and steam.

As it stands now, driving with a tank of Hydrogen is like having an H bomb in your back seat. No, really. If one of those things went off, it would clear a pretty big chunk of highway. This is where we should be turning our attention. Safe containment of portable hydrogen.
birddog20002001 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I have heard that ethanol needs to have a heated engine in cold weather due to the spark tempature which is one slight problem. Many people that have converted vehicles use a std engine start with gasoline and then flip a swithch after the engine warms up to run ethanol.

Ethanol can be made out of any material that contains cellulose so instead of just the corncob you can use the entire stalk, it wont be quite as efficient due to the lower sugar levels throughout the plant; but you could also use sugar cane or sorghum. You just have to turn it into beer and then run it through a still. The DEA (in the US) allows people to have and operate a still with a permit if it is to be used only for vehicle use, meaning that there must be a combination with ethyl alcohol making it poisonous to drink. There is also the issue if you make it your self of tax evasion. Taxes on fuel run @ .40 to the gallon and fuels that no taxes are paid on are barred from highway use. Leaving only farm applications.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

Hello All,
Thanks Oldraven for starting this thread.. I didn't realize ethanol use was already so popular either.
Interesting information...
Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 05-Oct-2004, 12:39 PM)
As it stands now, driving with a tank of Hydrogen is like having an H bomb in your back seat. No, really. If one of those things went off, it would clear a pretty big chunk of highway.

Brings back memories of the Ford Pinto.
oldraven 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Avonlea22 @ 05-Oct-2004, 02:12 PM)
Brings back memories of the Ford Pinto.

Except this time, Ford can't use a plastic shield to solve the problem. tongue.gif
Shadows 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 04:01 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I drive a 1991 Geo Metro XFI! I have been getting 50 -62 miles per gallon of gas since the day I bought it new... it now has 269,000 on it and is still going strong. This car was made as a throw away car after 5 years... trouble is it was made to well and now can not be found on the market... repairs are minimal and the industry and gov could not stand that!

Makes ya think dont it!?!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 05-Oct-2004, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Oh yeah. It makes me think a lot. (kind of like the Corvair. The point at which America left the rest of the world with the task of making cars more efficient) They made the Corvair sound very unsafe, while it was perfectly fine to drive a VW bug. (and seat belts weren't standard on most vehicles then either).

My Turbocoupe get's amazing milage, considering how large of a vehicle it is. The 3.8's and 302's would guzzle back the juice, to no end, but the 2.3T, (a European engine, also found in the Merkur XR4ti, a german company. Who's leading the world today in fuel efficiency? The germans), needs to be filled once every 10 or so days as a daily driver. Meanwhile, it's got more power (40hp more) than the engine 2 1/8 x bigger. But it ended up costing more (hmm, shipping taxes and tarifs for foreign components), and coupled with the mentality 'no replacement for displacement' it didn't sell well. Now we're back up to sports cars with 8.3L V10's. Trucks that get 9 mpg.

We spend less for gas over here. Why? Because we buy more of it. Something to think about.

Oh, I just thought of something. Something that will peve a lot of oil buddy's off. The Germans are at it again. Not only do they have the most fuel efficient production car on the planet, but they've broken records recently with a hydrogen fueled internal combustion powered vehicle. The '04 BMW HR2.

Hydrogen does not only mean top performance in rockets traveling to outer space: BMW has proven what the hydrogen car is capable of, setting 9 records for cars powered by a hydrogen-fuelled internal combustion engine. "Nine records marking the start into the hydrogen age. BMW technology has already come a long way. Now, together with politicians and the energy industry, we must turn our vision of sustained mobility into reality", stated Professor Burkhard Göschel, Board Member of the BMW Group, during the speed record trials in Miramas. Achieving this amazing success at the high-speed Miramas Proving Grounds in France, the BMW Group has clearly proven its conviction that hydrogen is able to replace conventional fuel without requiring the driver to compromise dynamic performance.

You want specs?

285hp 6.0L V12 (yes, that's a big motor, but hydrogen is in the pioneering stage)
1/4 mile 14.9 @ 97 mph
0-60 in 6
185.5mph

user posted image
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Oct-2004, 04:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

sweet! As you say though, it's the carrier and the weight that are still the issues. Weight is drastically decreasing though. Containment of the fuel is another matter. I wouldn't want to ride around on today's highways with a tank of Pure H on board.
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 08-Oct-2004, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Has anyone seen the fuel cell??

We had on of the 7 series drive through about a year ago.
A hughe square tank, takes up where the spare tire would be, plus approximately the lower third of the trunk.

The guys at BMW were saying at that time that it wasn't the issue of contanment so much as it was an issue of infrastucture for fuel stations.

On a side note.....
BMW was leading the world in electric vehicle when "they had a fire" in thier R&D department and distroyed the car and the researh (does this sound funny to anyone else??)
It wasn't a few months later that they announced a breakthrough in hydrogen fuel (hmmmmmmm)

That was back in the mid to late 90's

--------------------
Careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

House of Gordon

PMEmail Poster               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 17-Mar-2005, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Hay All,
Anyone interested in this subject, Sceince Channel is having a special this weekend on BMW's hydrogen race car.
PMEmail Poster               
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 08-Oct-2007, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Cincinnati, OHIO

male

This may be old news to some. Did you hear that some are now using straight vegetable oil for diesel engines. I heard over the weekend that a few stations are popping up on the east coast.

Also see
http://www.dancingrabbit.org/biodiesel/veg...le_oil_fuel.php

I'm not sure how you could take a road trip, but local driving might be ok.

--------------------
GO KENTUCKY WILDCATS
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
© Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Ye O' Celtic Pub, Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With Chrome (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]