Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are You Doing What You Really Want To?, If Not What Are You Doing To Start?
gettin-away 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: Flushing Michigan USA

male

I work as a clerk in a small town post office.

When my daughter was around eight years old she asked me if I always wanted a career in the post office. I told her "the post office is just a job, my career is being your dad."

My greatest joys in life come from doing the dad things. Now that she is "grown up" and almost done with college, I find I still receive the greatest pleasures from her company.

JaneyMae Posted on Feb 18 2004, 01:03 PM
I am an English Teacher -- BS in English, Special Education and certifications in Individual Occupational Training, Career Development Facilitator, Office Occupations (college only), Career Administration, Chemical Awareness and Training Group Facilitator, Special Education Law, and some other stuff with a Masters in Human Resource Training and Development. 

My daughter will soon be a certified Special Education Teacher. The incredible thing is when she was only 3 years old I was told mentally she wasn't capable of finishing school. She is also diagnosed with cerebral palsy and this past Monday she told me she just found out she has arthritis and osteoporosis. This hasn't slowed her down yet and soon she will be living her dream. Her goal is to show others with disabilities that they can accomplish anything they put their minds too.

gettin-away

--------------------
Paradox...Dirty socks...Glacier Rocks...Goldilocks

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

DO I have the job of my dreams? not yet. But I've certainly found the set of co-workers for it and I think I'm on the right track. I like working with computers, and have invested the last four years of my life getting a foothold in the IT industry. I've been the last year on the recieving end of a 1-800 number, which sucks. However, I'm working on becomming perminant with one of the nations big IT outsourcing companies and job openings in the company have been appearing in my E-mail that are much closer to what I want to be doing. One a web developer and the other Remote Desktop Management support (my second chance at the RDM position). Both of these are closer to what I want to be doing, and the packet I just turned in today is the next step on the road to who knows what kind of oppertunity.

What is really important to me as far as what I do, however, is what I do in my spare time. My writings, my studies, and my own personal computer systems. These things make me feel better. I would like to publish a book in worldwide circulation, but I write for meself, so it wouldn't hurt me not to see another word of mine published. Just so long as I get to write them. Right now, I feel uneasy making my own decisions of this kind, but I feel like I'm on the path I need to be on. Time to just trust in the devine and take each day as it comes, one at a time. Remain true to myself, the focus will come.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
silverdragon 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

Danged if I know.... unsure.gif

The one thing I've become convinced of in the last few years is that I really don't know what's good for me or what I really enjoy. Had you told me, say, 15 years ago that in 2004 I'd be teaching at a community college and taking filmmaking classes on the side I'd have asked what you were smoking. partytime.gif

OTOH I am MUCH happier (or perhaps much less unhappy) as a teacher than I EVER was as a software developer/SQA engineer. How I got here is a long story... enough to say that if I ever find my work heaven angel.gif it will be by having backed away from work hell. evil.gif

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail Poster                
peckery 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I work for myself, and I like my boss. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

Right now I work in the IT industry as a UNIX/Linux administrator. For those of you who don't know what that is, I work on industrial strength workstations and servers. I really like working with computers and it is where my career is, but I don't have a clear direction on a permanent niche I fit in.

Now to what I would love to do. I've been a drummer in various pipe bands for 31 years. Drumming is not a hobby. It's part of my soul and one of the greatest gifts God has given me. I would love to make a living from music, but unless you're a world champion (or close to it) it is almost impossible. I have some definite plans for how I could augment my income, but I don't think there is enough demand to make a living.

I need to get back on the solo competition circuit to get my name back out there. I did have a name for myself back in the 80s due to my success in Grade 1 solos, but then I went in the Army and haven't competed since, so the only people who know me are those I've known for years. If I can get my name back out there, I'm hoping I can get some interest from area bands looking for some coaching. I'm also hoping I can attract drummers to my band. I know it sounds vain and egotistical, but I'm just being honest. With 31 years in the business, I've seen it and know the reality of it.

If there are any of you who have any other ideas for how I could make a living with my drumming I welcome any suggestions.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
Mayte2 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Hemel Hemsptead - originally nr LLantrisant

female

Am I doing what I want?

Job wise .. nope .. I used to have a great job .. well .. not so much the job but the people I worked with made it good:) Then I moved .. and had to change work. I now work for the Inland Revenue (only good thing about that is that I get to make nasty bosses squirm). The people aren`t as friendly although my boss is nice.

As for home life .. I`d love to live out in the country with the view of hills and mountains from my balcony when I wake up in the morning. At the moment I live in a 1 bedroom flat. Although its nice .. its on a main road and there`s never any quiet. (I can be in the countryside whithin 5 or 10 minutes if I want to .. so its not too bad).

Emotionally ... I have got a fairly low self esteem although I seem to others to be quite confident. Always thinking my partner can`t possibly love me cos I`m not attractive etc .. Stupid I know .. But at least I know what my problems are!!

On the positive side (yes I knew I`d get to the positives eventually!!!) .. I`ve given up smoking (6 weeks and not counting any more!!) and I`m also trying to lose weight (its coming off!!)

Eventually .. I want to

live in a cottage in the country ..
have loads of dogs to walk (labradors preferrably) ..
expand my reptiles (snakes) to include some bearded dragons ..
not to have to go to work .. (although I would be happy working part time)
be a decent weight
maybe even get married to my partner

Mayte

--------------------
If it breaks when it bends, ya better not put it in!!
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Well, I am not nessecarily doing what I want yet. I am doing what I am supposed to be doing right now. I am in school learning the stuff that I need to learn to do what I want eventually. I want to walk down the red carpet at the oscars and receive best original screenplay someday. Hopefully I'm not stuck in a lame job for a long time before that happens.

usaflag.gif

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
urian 
Posted: 24-Jun-2004, 11:03 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

Am I doing what I want? hmmm no.
Am I doing what I enjoy and will want to do until I retire? Hell no!!! I hate it ..but..I do write on a regualr basis in hopes that I will get a book deal one day..so ..anyway..

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 25-Jun-2004, 12:02 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

What I would really like to do is travel the world at whim. Wouldn't it be great to meet all of you face to face? However, I am at present almost the sole support for a 4 generation family, except for my mom's small Social Security check, so it ain't gonna happen any time soon!
Now don't get me wrong, I like my job, it just seems to interfere with my real life! tongue.gif I love what I do as a nurse in an extended rehab hospital to help people heal and get back to THEIR real lives. The people I work with are great. It just seems whenever I get in the middle of some project at home, I have to stop and go to work. wink.gif
Something else I would like to do is become a better musician, which requires practice, which, unfortunently requires time, which I don't have but so much of!
I try to squeek in a little practice time every so often, but I still sound rough! Ouch! My poor ears! And everybody else's poor ears! tongue.gif
I also need to take better care of me, and that is a goal I am working on. The dog and I made an agreement......we each take one end of the leash and go for a daily walk. wink.gif
Not quite sure what the next step is...my friend gave me the name of her financial adviser, I am going to set up an appointment soon, really I am......

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Madadh 
Posted: 25-Jun-2004, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

YES. I enjoy both my job, my home life, and my hobbies. I found a hobby while I was young (Computers) and have found a way to get paid while I play biggrin.gif

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Shamalama 
Posted: 25-Jun-2004, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

Doing what I really want to do? Oh geez.

I started off wanting to be a doctor. Two years at Emory University in Atlanta as Pre-Med Chemistry major. I found out that medicine was not for me. Tons of study, and lots of unseen politics. It left me bitter.

I knew I had to get some sort of college degree, so I turned to my favorite hobby: the theatre. I graduated from the University of Georgia with a BA in Theatre. But during my VERY LAST semester I discovered that I didn't want to wait tables and drive taxis in New York City for the rest of my life waiting to be discovered. So what do I do?

During my last years of college my girlfriend wanted to get married. I wanted to wait until after I graduated. She didn't want to wait, so one afternoon I got the dreaded "Dear John" letter. I was sad and angry. I got drunk. The next morning (in 1982) I found around $2000 worth of computer equipment in my room. Apparently I had bought a home computer during my drunken haze. So I figured out how to put it together and plug it in. The only thing on the screen was "C:>". From there I learned how to write little programs. That hobby became my career.

So here I am today, a former pre-med and actor, working with programming, system administration, and software application support for a major international airline. At 44 years old I solve computer problems during the day, and play games (Diablo 2:LOD and MechWarrior 4) at night. And watch over my sweet bride and three children (one out of college and 'on her own', a Marine currently stationed in Hawaii, and one that just graduated high school. And two cats. And three dogs.

God has blessed me many times, and has rescued me from the firey furnace more time than I care to admit. And even though my job is in jeopardy, and money is always tight, I enjoy life. My job tries to pay most bills, it's fun and challenging. But it's just a job.

I'd like to be "a drummer in various pipe bands" like tsargent62!

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
lgvroe 
Posted: 25-Jun-2004, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I am not doing what I want to be doing - but I am close! I am Associate Director of Financial Aid at our local community college. I am also an advisor to several student organizations, and I also get to teach. That is what I want to do full time - teach!

I am currently working on my Ph.D. in Education in Community College Leadership so when that full time faculty position comes available, I am ready! Higher education is where I want to stay!

I will soon have a new role - as mom! My husband and I are expecting our first child in December.

Just like Todd, I also play in a pipe and drum band. I would like to have more time to practice and compete in solo competitions. Music will always be a part of our lives (my husband started out as a band director).

So, I am on my way to where I want to be, and for now, enjoying the ride!

Lori
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 26-Jun-2004, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

I had no clear picture of what I wanted my life to be some 30 odd years ago, but I am so very thankful for what it is today.

Twelve years ago we left the hustle of life in Michigan and started a new life in the foothills in Kentucky. I have a wonderful husband who shares my joys and my sorrows; we live in a beautiful place with our children and their families within walking distance. My parents, who are in the twilight of their lives, spend 6 months a year near us. We are still young enough to have dreams and the time to see them through. We are rich in all the things that are important to us. I know that I am very blessed! So, I would say "yes" I am doing what I what to be doing at this stage of my life! smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 26-Jun-2004, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Am I doing what I really want? No

Slaving away in a factory 12 hours a day 60 hours a week is NOT what I care to do! Especially when it averages around 100-110 degrees inside and I HATE heat!
I dread going to work so bad sometimes that, if did what I felt like doing, I'd be crying.

What would I like to be doing?

Well, I love to sing. Especially praise and worship music. I'd love to be making a living by praising the Lord in song. I sing in church when possible and lead p&w at an interdenominational prayer meeting group in our town every other Thursday night (only around 6-10 people attend), however I don't get paid to do either. And the fact that I have TERRIBLE stage fright doesn't help much! Without God's help I'd never be able to do what I little I am able to do. This gets me depressed sometimes.

I'd also love to be my own boss, running either a book or music store. This is an impossible dream though, since we have no money and just survive from paycheck to paycheck. This depresses me too.

I do get to work at learning Gaelic and learning to play piano and tin whistle (long-time dreams of mine), but I have a very short attention span, so I end up woking on them for a few weeks, get incredibly bored and work on something else for awhile then go back to the dreams. So the learning has been very slow-going. And that depresses me too.

Another dream would be to go to Scotland and spend some time there. However, as I said, we have no money. And I'd have to go alone anyway, since my wife is afraid of flying and has no interest whatsoever in Scotland. Guess what? Yup, that depresses me too.

I get so discouraged and depressed sometimes. I feel like I'm working my life away and getting no closer to attaining any of my dreams than when I first started. I do enjoy spending time with my wife and daughter. That and serving the Lord are the only joys in my life just now. If only hte rest of my life would just go away...

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 26-Jun-2004, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,629 Gold!

Still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up (I was only born in 1951). Have been a darkroom tech, oiler in a rock quarry, lithographer, baker, salesman, auto sound system installer, brick kiln fireman, environmental tech, computer tech support and a few other odds and ends. Raised two sons (one's a chemical engineer other one's a theater techie). All the stray dogs and cats around think I run an animal shelter. Was a Boy Scout leader for a few years. And oh yeah... many years ago was a Scottish heavy athlete.

If any of you have ideas as to what I should be, let me know.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]