Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ Jan 19 2004, 05:06 PM)

Just to be equally argumentative, Jehova's Witnesses are about as "Judeo-Christian as one can get, and it was the Jews that put the "Judeo" into the term. The Mormons also profess the belief that Jesus Christ was the literal son of God (Jehova). Thus from a Christian perspective, the Muslims are the only ones of the group that might be considered "pagan". On the other hand, their beliefs are also derived from Judaism, so maybe they can be described as Judeo-Christian as well????

One may be a "heathen" without being "pagan". I just happen to be the heathen pagan married to the JW (whew, you ought to be at my house when the discussions turn to religion and matters of spirit!!! starwars.gif smile.gif

Swanny

From the point of view of a Buddhist, Judaism, Christianity and the Muslim faiths are all basically the same monotheistic religion: The differences are rather minor. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I have used the quote " A heathen yes, but not an unenlightened one"
When I have been on the recieving end of a religious "debate" wink.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

hehe.. I usually side with the receiving people of a religious debate.. If there is something I hate is the over-piousness of some "Christians" *retches*

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 05:50 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jan 19 2004, 07:02 PM)
doesn't have to be, I think.

btw: I've been reading in an online copy of the book of the dead, but I don't think that's all.
I mean, what I mainly think is a wee bit "off" in so-called "neo-paganism" is that many sources are lost. let's take the example druidism: what we have a tacitus notes and caesar's bello gallico (and the different traditions and little things taken over into christianity). there is simply not enough known in my oppinion. I don't want to insult any of those that practice this but I think it's a wee bit pointless, however inventive those people may be.

I totally understand what you are saying. Todays "Paganism" is only an interpritataion of that of old. I do not practice wicca. It isn't my thing.

I tend to be more attuned to the Shammanic belief system.. which in some ways Druidism could fit into that. But I also tend to get my information from anthropolgy/archeology books more so than books specificly on "religion" They seem to be a little less biased about the religious practices.
I guess what I am trying to say is I read alot and pick and choose alot
PMEmail Poster                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

hehe.. I understand that, I'm the picky type as well. I'm not religous but there are some things I have a very deep respect for. I have never and will never photograph in a church for example because I have respect for the beliefs of other people. I love thinking of the dead in old graveyards that maybe have been forgotten by now and many things more.

I may criticise but I feel very deep seated respect for those that actually can believe in things. I sort of can't. I don't know why but I could not walk straight over a place that has a meaning for others. it just doesn't work with me.

But most pagan practices seem to be very weird to me thinking of it. We don't know how it worked so it doesn't really make any sense for me to interpret it in any other way. I just grieve for the knowledge that has been lost.
PMEmail Poster               
Jaxom 
Posted: 19-Jan-2004, 11:11 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Wales

male

Having had Jehovahs witnesses beliefs rammed down my neck by my mother for 20 years [ I've now escaped] they are most firmly followers of Jesus Christ and commemorate each year the anniversary of his death. which is held on the same date as the Jewish Passover. this is the only festival they celebrate at all.
As they refuse to celebrate "Pagan festivals" they will not celebrate the following Christmas, Easter, New Year, Birthdays, Halloween, Bombfire night, [most Christian celebrations find their roots in Pagan beliefs]

Hope I have not now started a fire.... sorry
Jack
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jan 19 2004, 06:43 PM)
hehe.. I usually side with the receiving people of a religious debate.. If there is something I hate is the over-piousness of some "Christians" *retches*

Where did you get the self portrait for your avatar, my friend? biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Jaxom @ Jan 20 2004, 12:11 AM)
Having had Jehovahs witnesses beliefs rammed down my neck by my mother for 20 years [ I've now escaped] they are most firmly followers of Jesus Christ and commemorate each year the anniversary of his death. which is held on the same date as the Jewish Passover. this is the only festival they celebrate at all.
As they refuse to celebrate "Pagan festivals" they will not celebrate the following Christmas, Easter, New Year, Birthdays, Halloween, Bombfire night, [most Christian celebrations find their roots in Pagan beliefs]

Hope I have not now started a fire.... sorry
Jack

Don't apologize for starting a fire here. Our fires are fun and friendly! GO Dude!
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 19 2004, 09:15 PM)
Just to be argumentative - I don't believe that the following non Judeo-Christian religeons Muslims, Mormons, Jehovas witness, Jews etc....fit the pagan catagory. wink.gif

In the grand scope of religions, these actually do fit in the Judeo-Chrisian category.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

you mean bonfire night as guy-fawkes night? That's not very pagan, it's commemorating the failed plot of said Guy Fawkes to blow up the English Parliament on the 5th november (can't remember the year...)
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

btw: I got a friend who recently managed to get out of Jehova's Witnesses (his parents were both in that)..
When we were younger I always enraged his parents by asking silly questions why they didn't have a telly and such wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Jan 19 2004, 08:33 PM)
mmh RW.. do you know about ancient egyptian religion? I mean, there's not an overly lot known.. there were local deities and such and how to worship and such...

I only know a small amount. I wish I knew more. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Jaxom @ Jan 20 2004, 05:11 AM)
[most Christian celebrations find their roots in Pagan beliefs]

I know someone who is not JW, I think she belonmgs to a Christian Assembly church, anyway, we were talking about Christmas and she came up to us with a sneer on her face and said "you celebrate that pagan holiday". I laughed in her face. Celebrating something pagan is by no means something bad to me. I was angry about how she made my other co-workers feel.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Isn't paganism generally polytheistic?

Because paganism describes a wide range of beliefs and practices, it's not possible to answer the question directly. A few pagan belief systems are polytheistic, some are pantheistic and others are monotheistic.

When one thinks on it, though, even some Christian belief systems could possibly be described as polythesitic. You have the trinity of Father, Son and Holy Ghost, plus a plethora of angels and demons and such.

My personal feeling is that we probably all worship the same diety, but use different names and perceive it's manifestations in different ways. What one refers to as a "miracle" another may describe as a "blessing" while a third may call it "magik".

It's sort of sad to think that many religious conflicts may be nothing more than a fight over symantics, eh?

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Jan-2004, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Swanny - the voice of religious reason. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]