> Clan Affiliations
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:08 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Whoa! What a history Angel! Thanks for sharing! Interested in hearing the rest of the story! wink.gif smile.gif

Northernlass, I have a Watson in my family line too! Sheesh! I have so much to research it is rediculous. I am overwhelmed right now. wacko.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Sea Dog 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:14 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

male

Grandmother G was a Gilchrist ( Clan Ogilvy) also Campbells on that side, have to drag out my Dad's notes. We know that the Gillette current spelling was Gillett until around 1840 in Canada where a business was painted incorrectly and it was cheaper to change the family name spelling than the business painting. (Sounds like canny Scots to me)

Mothers side family from County Cork and also her aunt did her thing for DAR so that will come in handy. 13 generations in New England.

Wifes family has Irish roots also. Just starting to follow up there but having a lot of luck in finding relatives that have been studying

--------------------
Give me a fast ship for I intend to sail in harm's way. - John Paul Jones

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

OK, My Great Grandma was a Gilbert. Here is what is associated with that name.

(BTW - I will have to admit I do not take this very seriously. I have no clan affiliation, nor do I feel I need or want one.)

The Clan Buchanan

Arms: Or, a lion rampant Sable, armed and langued Gules, within a double tressure flory counterflory of the Second

Badge: A hand holding a tasselled cap

Branches: Arnprior, Auchmar, Carbeth, Leny, Spital.

Tartans: Buchanan, Buchanan Hunting, Buchanan Old.

Mottos: Audaces juvo (Latin: I help the brave); Clarior hinc honos (Latin: Brighter the honour hence).

Slogan: Clar Innis (Clairinch, an island in Loch Lomond).

Septs: Colman, Cormack, Cousland, Dewar, Dove, Dow, Gibb, Gibbon, Gibson, Gilbert, Gilbertson, Harper, Harperson, Leavy, Lennie, Lenny, MacAldonich, MacAlman, MacAslan, MacAslin, MacAuselan, MacAuslan, MacAusland, MacAuslane, MacAlman, MacAlmont, MacAmmond, MacAsland, MacChruiter, MacColman, MacCormack, MacCubbin, MacxCubbing, MacCubin, MacGeorge, MacGibbon, MacGreuisich, MacGubbin, MacInally, MacIndeor, MacIndoe, MacKinlay, MacKinley, MacMaster, MacMaurice, MacMurchie, MacMurchy, MacNeur, MacNuir, MacNuyer, MacQuattie, MacWattie, MacWhirter, Masters, Masterson, Morrice, Morris, Morrison, Murchie, Murchison, Richardson, Risk, Rusk, Ruskin, Spittal, Spittel, Walter, Walters, Wason, Waters, Watson, Watt, Watters, Weir, Yuill, Yool, Yule, Zuill.

The earliest family of this name came from the shores of Loch Lomond, which were granted by the Earls of Lennox to one Absalon around 1225. Absalon may have been a clergyman or from one of those families dedicated to the service of the ancient Celtic Church. Morris of Buchanan received a charter in 1282, confirming him in his lands with baronial rights. He also held the small island of Clarinch, the name of which was afterwards to become the battle-cry of the clan.

During the War of Independence, The Buchanans supported the cause of Bruce which assured the fortunes of the family. Sir Alexander Buchanan fought for the French against Henry V of England, and fought at the Battle of Beauge in Normandy in March 1421. His exploits during this battle are given as one explanation for the heraldry of the family. It's thought that Sir Alexander killed the Duke of Clarence and took his coronet as a trophy, this is the reason for the ducal cap held aloft in the crest. The shield differenced only by changing the lion and the double tressure of fleurs de lis from red to black. This is said to allude to the marriage of Sir Walter

Buchanan to the only daughter of Murdoch, Duke of Albany and Regent of Scotland. His estates were confiscated in 1425, and the regent was ultimately beheaded by his cousin, James I. His son had died childless and the Buchanans were the nearest relatives to this disinherited branch of the royal family. The arms are said to mourn the family's loss of status.

The Buchanans of Arnprior, who held lands in Perthshire around Kippen, are also descended from the chiefly family. The Lairds of Arnprior lived in some style and were nicknamed the 'kings of Kippen'. James V was fond of travelling in disguise, using a name known only to his close friends and attendants. When the king arrived at Arnprior, a grim retainer met him and advised him that the laird was having dinner and was not to be disturbed. The king asked him to tell the king of Kippen that 'the Goodman of Ballengeich is come to feast'. When Buchanan heard this, he knew the king was at his door and he begged forgiveness. The laird was killed at the Battle of Pinkie in 1547. When the last chief died in 1682, Buchanan of Arnprior was supposed to recieve the ancient lands of Buchanan, but they were sold to meet heavy debts. The Graham Dukes of Montrose now have the mansion house of Buchanan.

Distinguished poet and protestant reformer George, is possibly the most famous Buchanan. He was born at Killearn in Stirlingshire in 1506, the third son of Buchanan of Drumikill. Around 1520, he moved to Paris to continue his education and travelled around the Continent, and began a literary career. Around 1560 he returned to Scotland and in April 1562 he was appointed tutor in classics to the young Mary, Queen of Scots. Eventhough he was in with the royals, he still made vicious attacks on the queen in his writings.

He was appointed preceptor and tutor to the young James VI after the abdication of his mother, and he is generally credited with laying the foundations for that monarch's considerable academic prowess as well, unfortunately, as poisoning the child's mind against his mother.

James Buchanan was the fifteenth president of the United States of America. There has not been a recognised chief since the seventeenth century.

Clan Contacts:
Clan Buchanan Society International Inc.
PO Box 1110
Moutrie, GA, USA
31776-1110

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Another Great Grandma was a Taylor

The Clan Cameron

Arms: Gules, three bars Or

Badges: Cameron of Lochiel, Cameron of Erracht

Branches: Lochiel, Erracht

Tartans: Cameron, Cameron Hunting, Cameron of Lochiel, Cameron of Lochiel Hunting, Cameron of Erracht.

Mottos: Aonaibh ri cheile (Gaelic: Unite), Mo righ's mo dhuchaich (Gaelic: For King and Country).

Slogan: Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheib sibh feail (Gaelic: Sons of the hounds come here and get flesh)

Septs: Chalmers, Chambers, Clark, Clarke, Clarkson, Cleary, Clerk, Dowie, Gibbon, Gilbertson, Kennedy, Leary, Lonie, MacAldowie, MacAlonie, MacChlery, MacLair, MacCleary, MacGillery, MacGillonie, MacIldowie, MacKail, MacKell, MacLear, MacLeary, MacLerie, MacMartin, MacOnie, MacOstrich, MacPhail, MacSorley, MacUrlig, MacVail, MacWalrick, Martin, Paul, Sorley, Sorlie, Taylor.

There are several theories concerning the origin of the name Cameron. The most probable is that the first chief, Donald Dubh was descended from the Macgillonies or from the medieval Cameron family of Fife. Donald Dubh married the MacMartin heiress of Letterfinlay and through great skill united the confederation of tribes that came to be know as Clan Cameron. Donald was born circa 1400 and he and his successors took on the title of Captains of Clan Cameron until the early sixteenth century when Ewan MacAllan had his lands of Lochiel united by charter into the Barony of Lochiel. Ewan's father, Alan MacDonald Dubh, the twelfth chief of the Clan Cameron was one of the bravest men of his time. It was under him that the long running feud between Clan Cameron and the Clan MacKintosh began.

The next prominent chief was Sir Ewen Cameron of Lochiel who was born in 1629 and died in 1719. Sir Ewen was an ardent enemy of the Parliamentarians and fought many great battles to preserve the independence of Clan Cameron.

He was knighted in 1682 and fought with Bonnie Dundee at Killiecrankie in 1689. Sir Ewan was beloved by his Clan and his grandson, known as the "gentle Lochiel" tried to improve the lives of clansmen.

In August of 1745, the Camerons fought along side Bonnie Prince Charlie as staunch supporters of the Jacobite cause. After that fateful year the Cameron lands were forfeit, their cattle were shot and their houses burned to the ground. In 1784 the estate was returned to the grandson of the "gentle Lochiel", Donald, subject to a large fine.

In 1793, Major Allan Cameron of Erracht raised the Camerons' own regiment, the 79th Highlanders, which became the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 1873 and then merged with the Seaforths in 1961 it became the Queen's Own Highlanders.

There is a Clan Cameron museum at Achnacarry and much information pertaining to the Clan may be found in the West Highland Museum in Fort William.

Clan Contacts:
Clan Cameron Association Online
Clan Phail Society in North America
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Antother ancestor is a Johnson.

The Clan Gunn

Branches: Gunn of Banniskirk, Gunn of Kilearnan
Arms: Argent, on a sea in base undy Azure, a three-masted ship Gules, flagged of Scotland (Azure, a saltire Argent) sails furled Proper, on a chief Gules, a buckle between two mullets pierced Or

Badge: A dexter cubit arm attired in the proper tartan of the Clan Gunn, the hand Proper grasping a basket-hilted sword blad Gules, hilted Argent

Motto: Aut pax aut bellum (Either peace or war)

Tartans: Gunn

Septs: Allisterson, Anderson, Bain, Corner, Crownar, Crowner, Cruner, Davidson, Eanrig, Enrick, Galdie, Gallie, Ganson, Gauldie, Gaunson, George, Georgeson, Henderson, Inrig, Jameson, Jamieson, Johnson, Kean, Keene, MacAllister, MacChruner, MacComas, MacCorkill, MacCorkle, MacCullie, MacDade, MacDhaidh, MacEnrick, MacGeorge, MacHamish, MacIan, Mackames, Mackeamis, Mackameish, Mackean, Mackendrick, MacMains, MacManus, MacNeill, MacOmish, MacRob, MacRory, MacSheoras, MacWilliam, Magnus, Magnusson, Main, Mann, Manson, Manus, More, Neilson, Nelson, Robertson, Robinson, Robison, Robson, Rorieson, Sandison, Swan, Swanney, Thomson, Tomson, Will, Williamson, Wills, Wilson, Wylie, Wyllie

Clan Gunn's ancestral tree is mixed in origin with the earliest know inhabitants of the area, the Picts. Later the Celts, Scots, Teutons, Normans, Norse and others integrated to extend the ancestral tree.

Practically without exception, the Highland Clans chiefly lines claim descent from the Norse Vikings. Clan Gunn is no exception; tracing its beginning to King Olaf the Black of Norway. The surname Gunn derives from Gun, Gunnar, or Gunni (depending upon the intepretation of historian) who was a grandson of Sweyn the Pirate of Freswick whose family ruled the earldoms of Orkney and Caithness during the 9th, 10th and 11th centuries.

The modern lineage and Sept families stem from George Gunn, the Crowner of Caithness, born in the first decade of the 15th century and slain with several of his clansmen at the Chapel of St. Tears, near Ackergil, in July 1478.

Clans have existed in many parts of the world but it was in the Highlands of Scotland that the clan system developed most fully as a way of life. It ended with the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie's Highlanders on the moors of Culloden, near Inverness, on April 16, 1746.

Following this defeat, the Clan system was abolished by law and for many years all weapons were forbidden to the Highlanders, as were the tartans, clan dress, clan symbols and paraphernalia, clan music and gatherings. Even the bagpipe was forbidden as it was considered an instrument of war.. At the same time a program known as the "clearances" was carried out with the stated objective of "clearing the Highlanders from the land to make it fit for the raising sheep". It was this program that was largely responsible for the scattering of the Highlanders to the far reaches of the world. When the proscription of the Clans was lifted and King George IV toured Scotland in the 1820's (he was the first monarch to visit Scotland in 175 years), he and his court were adorned in full Highland regalia. Tartans blossomed everywhere, the Clans were revitalized and Clan societies were organized in an attempt to re-establish family ties.

Submitted by Peter Robson.

Clan Contacts:
Clan Gunn Society of North America
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

This Genealogy thing is very Interesting.

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh it is and a lot of hard work, wouldn't you agree? Looks as though you have done a lot of work on your family! Wow! ohmy.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

I started working on the family when I was 14, This mainly was to find my Father, Brother and 2 sisters. My Twin and I have constantly been searching for information. It wasn't until 2001 that we had any success ( I was 30 at this point). Ana (my twin) Found our Brother in California while I was on a business trip there. We found out that in 1996 Our father had passed but our 2 sisters were still alive. I contacted the eldest sister (Cathy, whom I call Sissy)and found out that the other sister was in an institution. she was seriously bi-polar and a threat to herself and those around her (her name was Pearl). Sissy came up for a weekend visit all the way from PA. After she left 9-11 happened, the day after that I got a phone call from my Brother Andre saying that Pearl had passed. There is alot more to the story but I won't bother you with the details. I am finding that Genealogy can be extremely confusing but more rewarding then most things I do. If I ask stupid questions please forgive me, It is mostly that simple answers elude me after working on the problem for so long.

Thanks,
angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

NEVER any stupid questions!! We have all been doing this for some time and it can be frustrating when you don't know where to look next. By all means, pick our brains. We all help each other out all the time.
Take the time to go through some of the postings in all the genealogy postings we have here and maybe that will give you some ideas on where to look next.

If you are really stuck, ask for some help. That's why we started this.
PMEmail Poster               
Shamalama 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

Clan McCullough

user posted image

The majority of those who bear the name descend from the sept of Mac Cu Uladh or Mac Con Uladh. The Gaelic form of the name has also been Anglicized as Mac Cullach and Mac Culloch. The majority of bearers of this name are to found in Ulster, in particular in counties Antrim (where my folks left to come to America), Down, and Tyrone. The Ulster plantations were populated heavily from Scot immigrants.

The most common spelling of McCullough in Scotland was MacCulloch. It seems that the MacCullochs were spread out all over the place. They are listed as septs to the clans of MacDougall, Ross, Munroe, and Gunn, as well as living in Galloway. If you look at a map of Scotland you will see that these clans are roughly spread along the "Great Rift" going from the Irish Sea, through Loch Ness and Inverness to the North Sea. Galloway, of course is in southern Scotland. The coat of arms is McCullough of Myerton which is in Galloway.

user posted image

The first McCullough listed, it turns out, was the King of Scotland right after MacBeth (Lulach, 1057-1058). Of course, he only lasted six months, but you can't have everything.

Donald McCullough of McCullough Higlands commissioned Peter MacDonald, a tartan designer in the UK, to create a MacCulloch / MacCullough tartan and register it with the Scottish Tartan Authority.

user posted image

I have a John McCullough (1710-1799) coming over from County Antrim to America (South Carolina), but don't know how I'll get from Ulster back to Scotland.

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (shamalama @ Feb 9 2004, 09:56 AM)
Clan McCullough

The most common spelling of McCullough in Scotland was MacCulloch. It seems that the MacCullochs were spread out all over the place. They are listed as septs to the clans of MacDougall, Ross, Munroe, and Gunn, as well as living in Galloway. If you look at a map of Scotland you will see that these clans are roughly spread along the "Great Rift" going from the Irish Sea, through Loch Ness and Inverness to the North Sea. Galloway, of course is in southern Scotland. The coat of arms is McCullough of Myerton which is in Galloway.

My McCulloch connection (through my mother) is to Sir Godfrey McCulloch of Galloway, baronet of Nova Scotia, who met an unfortunate end.
See Clan McCulloch
When they reached Virginia, some descendents changed their name to McCullough, which makes me wonder whether they seeking to disassociate from their ancestors, about whom the folks on the Isle of Man are reputed to have prayed: "Lord, save us from the Devil and Cut McCulloch."

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted: 29-Feb-2004, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: New York, USA

male

Clan MacKinnon is my clan. It is one of the four original families of Scotland and we are desended directly from King Alpin the 1st, the first king of Scotland. My family hails from Skye, where some of the MacKinnon's still reside. If there are any MacKinnons out there I would love to hear from you.

--------------------
Highlander, 2004

"Fortune favors the Daring"
Neither draw me without cause, nor return me without honour
Clan MacKinnon
PMEmail Poster               
Crowned1 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The rolling green hills of North Carolina's Piedmont region.

female

Well.... the sad thing is that the name "Soutar" never fits under any clan as far as I know. That is my Grandfather's (who was born and raised in Dundee, Scotland)surname. I think that my Great-Grandmother's maiden name was Anderson though, so that would associate my family with the Anderson clan...

~Crowned One king.gif

--------------------
~THE SELKIRK GRACE~

SOME HAE MEAT AN' CANNA EAT

AND SOME WAD EAT THAT WANT IT

BUT WE HAE MEAT AN' WE CAN EAT

AND SAE THE LORD BE THANKIT.

*BY ROBERT BURNS*
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Crowned1, it appears that many names are associated with Soutar. Haven't come across an actual clan but these names are linked to the main name, Soutar: FAGARD, FAGETT, FARET, FERETT, FRETTE, Hugenot families in south-east of England, mainly 17th & 18th centuries.

There doesn't look like there is any organized research for the Soutar name. No meaning or the orgin of the name. The little bit I came across, all showed that they were the head of the clan of the names above but no other real info to go with it.

Soutar even has a tartan: http://www.tartans.scotland.net/tartan_inf...?tartan_id=3982

Hope that helps you out a bit.
PMEmail Poster               
Crowned1 
Posted: 17-Apr-2004, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The rolling green hills of North Carolina's Piedmont region.

female

Wow! I never knew that!!! Thanks so much! biggrin.gif
We even have a tartan!! That is so great! My mom will love to see that!
*Is very excited* clap.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]