Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fear Of The Blank Page - Writer's Block, Etc., anyone got stories to share?
Elspeth 
Posted: 04-Mar-2004, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I don't paint, but I so know what you mean about overworking it. tongue.gif

And then you get to the point you no longer know up from down. I've sat back and reread sentences and thought - that is either stop the presses brilliant or the worst piece of trash ever penned. And for the life of me I could no longer tell which. rolleyes.gif

When I start writing, the story may be outlined, but the details are all vague as are the descriptions. So, luckily for me, I don't start with a definite image I am trying to achieve, just a general one. Good for my sanity. unsure.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Mar-2004, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ Mar 4 2004, 07:24 PM)
You're absolutely right - fearing failure is absurd! When I taught a drawing class, I always told everyone 'no project is a failure if you learned something from it'. That is true.

I guess the kind of failure I fear is the failure to put on paper the image I see in my mind before I begin something new... my tendency is to overwork things, so sometimes I get to a point where the drawing looks fresh and strong then I "pick at it" until it may have more detail - but I've destroyed the freshness of it.

My goal as an artist is to NOT overwork everything!!
artist.gif

Yes, SB I always learned that in class from you. However, so many times I invision something on a blank page for it to not turn out how I imagined it, sometimes for the worse! sad.gif I was told by another art instructor that I never knew when to stop on an art piece, so I also need to stop overworking my pieces too! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 15-Mar-2004, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Mar 4 2004, 10:22 PM)
I was told by another art instructor that I never knew when to stop on an art piece, so I also need to stop overworking my pieces too! rolleyes.gif

Hey, once I was in a painting class working on a portrait of a live model and the instructor came up behind me and growled "Do you want to borrow my mahl stick so you can finish that one off?!?!" I had overworked the poor girl beyond belief, but it made me mad for him to be so smarty pants about it!

Oh well. Maybe he's the reason I'm always so proud when I DON'T overwork something these days.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 22-Mar-2004, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Hi
I tend to dwell on the details of a story til it drives me mad. Then, I have other things going on and I don't work on it. All I have ever written are short stories, but I'm thinking of writing longer ones, over the summer. I have so much homework and practice for colorguard and strings class, I don't get around to writing that much. Unless I am writing for english class, which really annoys me sometimes, because you have to write about what someone wants you to write about. Over the summer, when I have some free time, I plan on writing more, but at times there are just so many ideas that are all accumulating in my mind, that I have to write. Which is perfectly fine with me, as long as it isn't at like, 2 in the morning on a Wednesday morning. (Has happened before.....) Right now, I am writing about a woman whose people were taken captive by their enemies. I only have a page written, cause I started it but haven't gotten back to it.. wink.gif ...I should probably work on that......
But, I also make up songs on my instrument, just so I can vent out my emotions in a song, of course, afterwards I never know what I played......
But over October and November, my brain just couldn't come up with any new stories. I only started writing in july, so it hasn't been that long....so I don't think that time that I couldn't think of anything was a writers block.....

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 22-Mar-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

it's almost funny how bad we tend to want to blow off writing something for class, and then turn around and do three times as much on our own time. Guess it proves that there is a fallicy in the way schools teach writing perhaps. One thing that cannot be taught, is one thing that is key to any creative endevor. And that is inspiration. Being forced to write or create something specific is unnatural and will not often result in anything that's any good IMHO.

Keep that pen moving on your own ideas =) Work them in your spare time. Then, who knows, maybe some of it might even match an assignment one day, and you can get some feedback. Just a thought.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 26-Mar-2004, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (greenldydragon @ Mar 22 2004, 12:48 PM)
Hi
I tend to dwell on the details of a story til it drives me mad. Then, I have other things going on and I don't work on it. All I have ever written are short stories, but I'm thinking of writing longer ones, over the summer. I have so much homework and practice for colorguard and strings class, I don't get around to writing that much. Unless I am writing for english class, which really annoys me sometimes, because you have to write about what someone wants you to write about...

Hope you find the time (and inspiration) to write soon - its almost always hard to find the time!

I think the only good thing about writing assignments is the discipline you're learning; it forces you to work in a structured situation: their subject, their length of story, etc etc... the discipline of it is good for you, even though its not much fun!
PM               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 03-Apr-2004, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

Yea....it keeps me thinking up ideas at least... it doesn't really help with making stories a certain length...cause the teacher never specifies. wink.gif So, I usually write as much as I think the story allows...or until my brains fried.. bangin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]