Posted: 17-Mar-2007, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Here is the last update from the SP Kennels:

ďComing to you live from beautiful, downtown Nome, Alaska on Friday, March 16, here is the 2007 Iditarod Wrap Up show.Ē

Allen Moore, number 71, arrived in Nome at 11:45am, almost exactly 25 hours after Aliy arrived.  He passed through Safety at 9:11am, just 12 minutes behind Rick Casillo.  Aliy, Bridgett, Allenís mom

Donnie and the crew went out to the road crossing to cheer Allen on, and by that time, Allen was about a minute behind Rick.  As we were standing on Front Street, we didnít know who was in the lead.  When the musher popped up on the street from the pack ice, we saw someone with ski pole in hand, kicking and poling.  We knew then that Allen had passed Rick and we erupted in the shoot.  Allen had passed him about 50 feet from the ramp onto the street.  He had Imac and DoŮa in lead.  He also had Girlfriend, Mouse, Blossom, Heidi, Rose, Snickers, Petunia, Reeses and Betty in harness.  He dropped Hera in White Mountain with a shoulder injury.

After settling the dogs in, we headed off for lunch and laughs.  He said he still didnít know what was coming at him when he was hallucinating.  He just said they were coming from every direction.  When he told everyone the story of catching the sled seat on the tree, it sounded even worst!  I am sure that when he wakes up from his nap, he wonít even be able to move.  That is how Aliy was yesterday.

Aliy got lots of sleep since she got in.  She is now up working with the dogs.  Her hands are still swollen twice their normal size and her hip is very tender and blue.  She doesnít even remember doing that.  Waking up this morning, she came out of the room asking if it were morning or night.  I think she thought that she missed Allen coming in.

So how did everything go this year.  Aliy started the race with what she thought of as the best team she had ever brought to Iditarod.  Unfortunately, her team was plagued with injuries.  I am so proud of her for not following the trend.  Instead, she made it all the way to Nome.  Her knowledge, love and ability to care for her dogs allowed her to fight through and finish her journey to Nome.  I am so proud of her and her dogs.

Allenís team did so much better than we expected.  He made it all the way to Kaltag with 15 dogs!  Of the 11 he finished with, he had rookies on the team.  What an education for the dogs as well as for Allen.  He ran an excellent race.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 17-Mar-2007, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

An American Guardian of the Realm
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Thanks Swanny!

Does Aily even remember how she got injured?

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2013 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 20-Mar-2007, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

The race is winding down but it's not over yet! There are two rookie racers still on the trail.
stevenpd 
Posted: 21-Mar-2007, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

The race is finished!

HALVERSON WINS THE RED LANTERN!

by staff

The 2007 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog race officially ended at 2:56 this morning (Alaska Time) when Wasilla Alaska musher Ellen Halverson (Bib #41) ended her journey under the Burled Arch in Nome Alaska.  The 46 year old musher made the trek from Wasilla to Nome in 16 days, 11 hours, 56 minutes and 26 seconds.

Halverson was greeted by well wishers at the finish line including Loren Prosser Wells Fargo Bering Sea Community Bank President who awarded Halverson the coveted Wells Fargo Red Lantern Award.

Tonight, (March 21st) the Red Lantern Awards Banquet will be held in Nome at the Mini Convention Center beginning at 6:30pm (Alaska Time).  The public is invited to attend.

Congratulations to all! This year it seemed to be an especially hard run.

Swanny, what's the story with Ramy Brooks. It has hit the news wires big time, heard a blurb from our local station here in California?
Swanny 
Posted: 22-Mar-2007, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Sigh!!

This was THE topic of conversation at the Two Rivers Lodge last night. The general consensus among the mushers there (at least half a dozen, including 3 Iditarod finishers) is that the ONLY reason to hit a dog is to break up a fight.

Anyway, here is where the issue stands this morning, based on an AP report. The AP story is consistent with what I've been hearing through the mukluk telegraph:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- The issue of whether musher Ramy Brooks abused his dogs during this year's 1,100-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race is not over.

Stan Hooley, executive director of the Iditarod Trail Committee, said Tuesday that race officials will continue to look into a witness's account that Brooks hit his dogs with his fists, kicked some and struck some with a ski pole in a rant that lasted more than 15 minutes.

For now, however, it is one person's word against another, Hooley said.

That could change if race officials can verify the account reported by Maude Paniptchuk, an elementary school teacher in Golovin.

If her account proves true, Brooks could be permanently banned from the race, Hooley said.

Brooks' wife, Cathy, said her husband obviously disputes the eyewitness account but does not want to comment at this time. They do want people to remember several veterinarians examined the dogs after the allegations of abuse were raised, she said.

"Our dogs are happy and healthy and well taken care of and not abused," she said.

Brooks was disqualified from this year's race after admitting he "spanked" his dogs with a wooden trail marker after two refused to get up and run outside of the Golovin checkpoint, less than 100 miles from the finish in Nome.

A three-member panel of judges responded by voting unanimously to disqualify Brooks from the race.

"We weren't trying to discredit her allegations. They just felt as though they needed additional information," Hooley said.

The following statement was posted Tuesday on Brooks' Web site:

"Brooks regretfully acknowledges this unfortunate incident and accepts the disqualification decision of the judges. Brooks is passionate about his love for his dogs and Native heritage as an Alaskan."

Brooks, 38, a popular Native musher from Healy, was the 12th musher to cross the finish line in Nome. After completing the race, he admitted to race officials that he had "spanked" his dogs with a wooden trail marker.

Hooley said Brooks was disqualified for one year based on what he admitted doing. Brooks vehemently denied Paniptchuk's account, he said.

Iditarod officials were aware of Paniptchuk's version of events when making the decision to disqualify Brooks for a year, Hooley said.

"Obviously, the witness has a different account of the chain of events and we will be pursuing those as well," he said.

Race officials will try to find other people to corroborate the school teacher's account, he said.

Hooley also said that race officials were aware of an allegation that Brooks' mother, famed sprint musher Roxie Wright, got on the back of her son's sled and got the team up and running out of Golovin. Race rules prevent mushers from getting help. The penalty for such an occurrence would be a fine, Hooley said.

"One of the issues on the table is Roxie Wright getting on the back of the dog sled," Hooley said.

Brooks was not fined, but race officials enacted what is called the 8-hour rule when he arrived at the finish carrying a dead dog in his sled bag. Brooks' placement fell from 12th place to 15th place while race officials investigated the death -- a loss of about $7,000 in prize money. The first 30 race finishers receive prize money. The subsequent disqualification dropped him from all prize money.

Brooks had notified race officials that the dog, Kate, a 3-year-old female, died between White Mountain and Safety, just 22 miles from the finish. He was told to bring the dog to Nome.

Hooley said he was not sure whether the veterinarian who conducted the necropsy on Kate was aware of the allegations against Brooks. The necropsy was inconclusive. Race officials said they had no reason to believe that Brooks' account of striking his dogs with the trail marker and the death of the dog were connected.

Brooks' main sponsor is wireless phone company Cellular One. The company has sponsored Brooks for three years, said spokesman Craig Davis, who refused to reveal how much money Brooks gets from the company.

"Obviously, we are watching the situation," Davis said. "It is an issue that Ramy has to work out and go through the right process with the Iditarod."

Brooks also receives about $40,000 a year to be a spokesman for the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority and make appearances to talk about his experience with depression as a teenager that led to a suicide attempt. The authority is standing by Brooks, said Jeff Jessee, the authority's CEO.

"From my personal connection with him over a couple of years it is hard for me to believe he would have reacted like this teacher seems to think he did," Jessee said. "What we have to go by is the work that Ramy has done for us. He has been just awesome. He has an ability to reach people that really is pretty amazing."

Roxanne Brooks, an aunt who lives in Fairbanks, said people are forgetting all the good things her nephew has done. She also said she would like to see someone at the Iditarod stand up for Brooks.

"We will continue to support Ramy, no matter what," she said.

Nenana musher Jerry Riley, the 1976 champion, was banned for life in 1990 for mistreating his dogs. Riley said he was trying to break up a dog fight when he accidentally hit a dog with a steel snowhook. Judges banned him for life, citing past allegations of abuse.

Despite the lifetime ban, Riley was allowed to race in 2001. He has since been told he can't race again because of the level of care he provides for his dog team, Hooley said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

It's worth noting that a permanent ban is a VERY serious issue, because nearly all major sled dog races honor bans enacted by other organizations. So, a lifetime ban in the Iditarod is equal to a lifetime ban from ALL major races, even locally organized sprint races. It is a very big deal.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 22-Mar-2007, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

What's the consenses of PETA's invlovement?
Swanny 
Posted: 22-Mar-2007, 11:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (stevenpd @ 22-Mar-2007, 11:22 AM)
What's the consenses of PETA's invlovement?

Folks in Two Rivers have a pretty consistent view regarding PeTA. We've all noticed that in their official correspondence the "e" in their acronym is always lower-case, reflecting their lower case ethics.

PeTA is out to grab publicity, and therefore solicit more donations to support their, um, pastime. The Iditarod Trail Committee tried to placate the ARFs (animal rights fanatics - NOT animal welfare fanatics) and gave up a few years ago when they finally figured out that PeTA, SDAC, FOA and all the other radical animal rights organizations will be satisfied with nothing short of banning all human interactions with animals.

None the less, like it or not, we need the fanatics out there to keep the rest of us awake, alert and oriented to what we are really doing with our animals.

At the end of the day, PeTA's involvement will be like the organization itself, immaterial. The ITC will investigate as thoroughly as they can, and they will try to be fair about it. No matter how fair they try to be, they will end up taking whatever action they feel is in the best interest of the race, regardless of PeTA's opinion.

They have banned former Champions for animal abuse (Jerry Riley), so they certainly won't hesitate to ban Ramy Brooks if the allegations stand up under scrutiny.

Swanny

PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 24-Mar-2007, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

What an ending for such a career . . .
Swanny 
Posted: 19-May-2007, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

According to a story just released by the Associated Press, The Iditarod Trail Race Committee has decided to suspend Ramy Brooks for two years, and place him on probation for 3 years. Here is a link to the story -> Iditarod board suspends musher for dog abuse

I can't say I'm particularly happy with the Committee's decision, but of course I wasn't at their closed-door meeting and an A.P. article is unlikely to report all the facts accurately.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 19-May-2007, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Swanny,

With such a cloud hanging over him, do you think he will continue to race?

What disturbs me the most is that there are several witnesses stating that they saw him hitting and kicking his dogs. Not just a single eyewitness but several. Of course, due to the limited nature of the news report, the situational detail is lost. Could there have been sufficient level of detail conflict to cast doubt on the incident?

What would you have done? What is everyone's reaction to the situation?
Swanny 
Posted: 19-May-2007, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Well, Steve, this has been on my brain all morning. My knee-jerk initial reaction was that the Ramy should have received a lifetime ban, but as I've mulled it over it occurs to me that a two year suspension followed by 3 years probation probably is very appropriate.

Here's why. Mr. Brooks is a very rare person in that he is a full-time, professional dog musher. It's a tough way to earn a living simply because the prize money offered by even the most prestigious of races is not particularly great and no one, not even Lance Mackey or Jeff King, can win every race they enter.

Nearly all major sled dog race organizations honor censures placed by any others. Consequently a 2 year suspension by the Iditarod is tantamount to a two year suspension from sled dog racing, at least in events that offer a significant purse. So, by suspending Mr. Brooks for two years the Iditarod board has in effect deprived Mr. Brooks from his primary livelihood for at least that long.

If Mr. Brooks decides to continue in sled dog racing he will face some huge challenges trying to maintain a competitive team during his suspension. The demands of maintaining a team of sled dogs are huge, both in terms of time and money. Based on my own experience, I'd estimate that the typical musher, either recreational or professional, must spend approximately $1,000.00 per dog per year just to meet the basic needs of the working dogs. If Mr. Brooks were to maintain only 25 dogs (an unreasonably low number for a long-distance racing kennel) his dog care expenses would be $50,000.00 over the course of his suspension.

Meanwhile, it is unlikely that his major commercial sponsors will continue to support his operation. Most will run for cover rather than risk the wrath of the ARFs. Consequently Mr. Brooks will have to pay those expenses out of his own pocket, literally taking money out of his family's budget in order to support the kennel.

Mr. Brooks reputation has taken a HUGE hit as a result of this issue. It is going to be very, very difficult for him to outlive his actions. No matter how long he lives, it will be more difficult for him to gain important sponsorships and I think it is unlikely he will ever regain the full respect and trust of his fellow competitors. Certainly he won't be mistreated, but it is equally certain that he will always be viewed with a certain degree of mistrust.

Professional animal trainers define 'punishment' as "a consequence to a behavior in which something added to or removed from the situation makes the behavior less likely to occur in the future." The key phrase in this definition is "makes the behavior less likely to occur in the future."

I honestly believe that if Mr. Brooks sled dog racing career survives this punitive action at all, that the two year suspension and three years of probation levied by the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race board of directors will indeed achieve the goal of punishment and Mr. Brooks will never again strike a dog during a race.

PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 19-May-2007, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

All right! Lets combine threads! Declare open season on dog teams! A bag limit of 2 would be good!

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Swanny 
Posted: 19-May-2007, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

I'm dense today. Not following the track. Which two threads would you like to combine?

PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 20-May-2007, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Although the punishment, in the end, may be correct. I am not convinced that it will change him. Can't teach an old dog new tricks, so to speak. But I do think he has a very difficult time ahead of him and he is scarred for life. He might as well as find another line of work.

Ignore him, I think he's referring to hunting and fishing.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt