Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Save Net Radio Coalition, Help Save Internet Radio!
CelticRadio 
Posted: 29-Jun-2007, 04:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,789 Gold!

It's not looking to good right now. Read the latest today from the Internet Radio Newsletter:

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/062...907/index.shtml

"Small webcasters intent on keeping Internet radio stations from going out of business best not look to Congress for help. That's the message from a June 28 House of Representatives hearing aimed at resolving a dispute over efforts to increase the royalties paid by Web radio stations to musicians and record labels for spinning their songs..."

In addition, it appears things are getting nasty with a YouTube video and SoundExchange witnesses being harassed. I've stated this in a previous post, but my fear is that the passion, anger and emotion could boil over into something nasty....

The whole idea of SoundExchange and the RIAA is to rid the U.S. of small webcasters and make deals with mid level and high level webcasters. Live365 will probably strike a deal and we will be able to continue.....

But something is definitely lost here without Congress nor the Senate even understanding what the real issues is..........

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 29-Jun-2007, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,023 Gold!

If the new rules go forward, could they be challenged in court as unconstitutional under equal protection?

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 29-Jun-2007, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,789 Gold!

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 29-Jun-2007, 09:26 PM)
If the new rules go forward, could they be challenged in court as unconstitutional under equal protection?

Yes, the SaveNetRadio organization is launching this on a number of fronts. There are legal challanges and lawsuits planned.

Who knows, maybe things will turn around - but it seems that the bill requires 50 sponsors in the senate and it only has 4? Not sure of the numbers here.

Congress and the Senate don't want to resolve this issue. As stated by one congressman they want a WIN WIN situation. My understanding is that sometimes leadership requires making the difficult decisions and not taking the middle road.

"Lets just leave everything the same" is a poor and lame excuse.

The purpose of Congress and the Senate should be to foster an environment of innovation and competition with the best interests of the American People - not Corporations.

This is just another piece of America going to the highest bidder. Our elected politicians are creating policies that see jobs by the hundreds of thousands leave the U.S. While we have millions of people living at or below the poverty level in the U.S. - we choose to hire chinese and indians to service our products and build our systems.

If Congress and the Senate do not save Internet Radio, then webcasters in other countries will gladly fill our shoes; and they will have the benefit of laws passed by their countries which support them!

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 30-Jun-2007, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

How do we stop it. Our senators and representatives say they represent us yet are voting against everything good. Their stand on the marriage amendment was we have to think of all our people and making it law that marriage can be between a man and a woman only is forcing jewdao-christian beliefs on all people which we can't in rights do. Our country was founded on God's law. Whenever it has come to a vote for the people most have voted that marriage is between a man and a woman only. There is nothing Jewish-Christian about this because I am finding it in all religions, including so called pagan religions. All people throughout time teach to have life you must have male and female together. It is the same with the abortion law most the people ban partial birth and many want to ban all abortion.
Seems to me our so called representatives are against, not for the people. They want us to do what they want and see and hear only what they want. They want to line their own pockets at the expense of the common people. The American Revalution was fought because of taxation without representation. Now the government has gotten too big, forgot the people and the God our founding fathers knew. They care only about themselves and are taking everything good away from us, replacing it with their politics and greed. How do we fight them? Letters and phone calls don't seem to help much.
I am glad to have Celtic Radio and the few other stations we have. But with high cost of living and taxes, etc. we have no money to spare. We shall lose everything good and uplifting we have just because powers that be want to line their own pockets and not work like we have to. I don't see any of them struggling to put children through school or food on their tables. This is not the way of our founding fathers. There has to be a way we can join together and fight the evil and keep the good even if we haven't money.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 30-Jun-2007, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Revolution! Thomas Jefferson once said something of the sort ( not a direct quote ) ... a little revolution once in awhile reminds those of who put them in power...

This can come in many forms!
Civil disobedience
boycotts - would it not be nice if we all ignored commercial radio and the adds?
voting the SOB's out of office ,
etc.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,789 Gold!

Here is a response I received from my congressman. I also understand that Senator John Kerry is one of the few senators to sign-on.

Dear Mr. MacArthur :

Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 2060, the Internet Radio Equality Act of 2007, introduced by my colleague, Rep. Jay Inslee (D-WA).  Please know that I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this important issue.

As you may know, the Copyright Royalty Board ("CRB"), a three judge panel that establishes rates and terms for copyright statutory licenses, announced new royalty rates for commercial webcasters, e.g., Internet-based radio stations, on March 9, 2007.  Specifically, the CRB established a new per-song per-listener rate formula, under which commercial webcasters must pay a royalty rate each time a listener hears a song.  Previously, webcasters could pay royalties as a percentage of their earnings, rather than each time a listener hears a song.

H.R. 2060, which has been referred to the House Judiciary and Energy and Commerce Committees, seeks to reverse the Board's determination.  Under the bill, the CRB's ruling would be declared ineffective.  In addition, H.R. 2060 would allow webcasters to satisfy their royalty fees by choosing to pay a percentage of their annual revenue, rather than pursuant to a per-hour, per-listener basis.

Please know that I share your concerns regarding the detrimental impact that the CRB's decision may have on commercial webcasters and particularly, small Internet radio stations, whose royalty rates could increase up to 1,200 percent.  For this reason, I have signed on as a cosponsor of H.R. 2060.

Again, thank you for contacting my office.  Please feel free to contact me if you need additional assistance with this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

STEPHEN F. LYNCH

Member of Congress

MDF3530 
  Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 04:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I just emailed Senators Dick Durbin and Barack Obama's and Congressman Dan Lipinski's offices to try and get them on board.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
MDF3530 
  Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Here's an email I received from Senator Obama's office:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Copyright Royalty Board’s rate increase decision and its effect on small webcasters. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue.

The royalty rate for webcasters has proven to be a controversial subject, with small webcasters hoping to become viable, competitive alternatives to large commercial radio stations. As you know, many of these small webcasters offer a variety of music unavailable to a wide audience through other sources.

Regulations set by the enactment of the Small Webcasters Settlement Act of 2002, which favored small webcasters, recently expired and the regulations had to be revisited. As you are aware, in March, 2007, the Copyright Royalty Board issued its decision, which establishes new rates for commercial and noncommercial webcasters. The Board considered the comments of small commercial and non-commercial webcasters, who sought continuation of a fee based solely according to revenue. Ultimately, the Board rejected this benefit for small webcasters, opting instead for a flat-rate fee and a per song per listener basis. When making this decision, the Board cited the difficulty of distinguishing small and large webcasters, as well as their own lack of statutory authority to carve out royalty rate niches for the emergent business models promoted by small webcasters.

The Internet Radio Equality Act (S. 1353), introduced in the Senate on May 10, 2007, would reverse the decision by the Copyright Royalty Board. This legislation is currently being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee. While I am not a member of this committee, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind when it comes to the Senate floor for a vote.

Again, thank you for raising this issue with me. Please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator
CelticRadio 
Posted: 07-Jul-2007, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,789 Gold!

Thanks for your support Mike! The senate is were we really need to get more support.

Calling just your congress-person is not enough. You have to also contact your senator.

I certainly hope that they don't forget about the little webcasters - like CelticRadio.net - its one thing if Yahoo, Live365, Pandora and the other medium and large webcasters get a break.

But the small webcaster does not have the resources nor the support to be heard much.

We are about 7 days away from July 15th - this is the deadline when the retro-active payments and increased royalties take place.

I honestly don't know what is going to happen on that date.
MDF3530 
Posted: 08-Jul-2007, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

To contact your Senators, click this URL:

http://www.senate.gov/

In the top right corner, go to the drop down menu that says "find your Senators" and select your state.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 09-Jul-2007, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,789 Gold!

We just wanted to say THANKYOU! to everyone that has called or written their Congressperson and Senator.

Our best effort has been put forth, it is now in the hands of Congress, the Senate and ultimately the President.
haynes9 
Posted: 11-Jul-2007, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Got this email today and was, needless to say, disappointed.

Mr. Haynes,

I contacted our legislative department in regards to the Internet Radio Equality Act. They informed me that the rates will take effect on Sunday, and the bill is unlikely to make it to the floor for a vote before then. Congressman Renzi is aware of the issue, and because the Leadership expressed their intent not to bring the bill out of committee and to the floor for a vote, he didn't take any action on it.

Although it is unlikely that there will be any action taken in Congress, there is a possibility that the issue can be resolved out of Congress. It would include action from either the Federal Communications Committee.

If you have any other questions on this issue, please feel free to email or call me.

Have a great afternoon.

Chelsea Lett
Congressional Liaison
Congressman Rick Renzi (AZ-1)

The so caled Leadership apparently could care less about the Webcasting industry!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
SaveNetRadio.org 
Posted: 12-Jul-2007, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED FOR THURSDAY, JULY 12TH

Greetings,

Time and options are running out for Internet Radio. Late this afternoon, the court DENIED the emergency stay sought on behalf of webcasters, millions of listeners and the artists and music they support.

UNLESS CONGRESS ACTS BY JULY 15th, the new ruinous royalty rates will be going into effect on Sunday, threatening the future of all internet radio.

We are appealing to the millions of Internet radio listeners out there, the webcasters they support and the artists and labels we treasure to rise up and make your voices heard again before this vibrant medium is silenced. Even if you have already called, we need you to call again.

The situation is grave, but that makes the message all the simpler and more serious.

PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES RIGHT AWAY and urge them to support the Internet Equality Act. Go to http://www.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/al...rt_9738601.html to find the phone numbers of your Senators and Representative.

If they've already co-sponsored, thank them and tell them to fight to bring the bill to the floor for an immediate vote. If the line is busy, please call back. Call until you know your voice has been heard.

Your voices are what have gotten us this far - Congress has listened. Now, they are our only hope.

We are outmatched by lobbying power and money but we are NOT outmatched by facts and passion and the power of our voices.

Again, please go to http://www.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/al...rt_9738601.html to find the necessary phone numbers and make the call today.

Thank you,

The SaveNetRadio Campaign
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 12-Jul-2007, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
237,789 Gold!

The court of appeals has denied our emergency stay. I urge everyone to please contact their senator and congressperson today using this link:

http://www.savenetradio.org/index.html

Tell them to bring immediately to the floor a vote on the Internet Radio Equity Act.

Even if you have already called, please call again. We need to urge a vote on the floor. If this does not happen, then chances are it will be all over..........

As far as Celtic Radio is concerned, this could include ceasing our broadcast and closing down our site. I have not made that decision yet, but if broadcast fees are over our budget then we will need to close up shop and end the wonderful music of Highlander Radio...........

I have contact all 2 of my senators - Senator Kerry and Senator Kennedy today. I have also contacted Rep. Stephen Lynch office and spoke at length.

All three listen to my story of Celtic Radio and I asked that they support the Internet Radio Equality Act.

When I called this last time I spoke from the heart and threw away the script. I think Rep. Lynch's office was the most receptitive. The girl I spoke too stated she was going to pass this information on to Rep. Lynch.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 12-Jul-2007, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I've contacted Senators Durbin and Obama!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]