The Wizard of BC 
Posted: 13-Dec-2007, 03:55 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Victoria, BC

male

Druid, Believe me when I say I never stick my nose in the air over someone wearing the kilt.

It's just that I have seen the world flooded with cheap Pakistani kilts in the last two years and it sickens me. The Notorious Gold Brothers have totally ruined the Royal Mile with their Tartan Tat.

In fact I have three Frugal Corner and two Stillwaters in my shop right now. OK, the guy knew what he was buying and for what he wants to do in the kilts they will be fine but he brought them in to me to have be completly re-set the pleats. They vary from 5/8" wide to over 1" wide. The Acrylic fabric is so light that even in a light breeze they fly everywhere. They also wrinkle just by looking at them.

Of the five kilts not one is the proper Sett of the Tartan they are supposed to be. I am a member of the Scottish Tartans Authority and have access to the thread counts that are registered and these are not even close.

I appoligize if I upset anyone. It's just that kilts are my business and they are also my life. My passion for a quality kilt that the owner will be proud to wear sometimes takes over.

--------------------
Steve Ashton
Owner/Kiltmaker

2nd Laird of Lochcaber
www.freedomkilts.com
"I wear the Kilt because;
Swish + Swagger = Swoon"
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Boudica 
Posted: 21-Mar-2008, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

QUOTE (The Wizard of BC @ 28-Nov-2007, 06:17 PM)
I will second Kathy Lare as a good choice.

Count me in the Kathy Lare fanclub! My parents and I all have kilts made by her. And she is a very dear friend of mine.

Wizard -
Just a week ago, Kathy and I were talking about the Pakistani "tartan" that seems to be invading. I think that Scotland might, and should, try to get the same status that champagne, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and piñons have.

--------------------
Twelve men and a piper make a rebellion. - Scottish proverb
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 24-Mar-2008, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Good news, maybe! While driving to my job the other week I was listening to public radio. One of the djs announced that someone from scotland wanted to have only scottish made kilts be deemed as authentic kilts. I was unable to catch the full story but it might be something that could hurt or help the industry. I'm sure this has probably been tried before. Has anybody else heard about this?

I found my Italian Natonal tartan again-e-kilts carries it but for now I'm rather hesitant to order from a company with such a generic internet name. I may try to contact Barb and see if she can get the material and get it made for me instead.
I have to go car shopping tomorrow first and get some other bills out of the way so I have time to check out e-kilts later and see if I can find any reviews.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Robert--I know I am late getting into this, but you asked about Great Scot Kilts. I have bought two custom made kilts from them one for my son and the other for my daughter. My sons is a 16 oz weave, woven in Scotland at the time I paid around 550 for it. My daughters was around 250. The people that run the place are very nice and helpful. My son and daughter have always gotten nice compliments on their kilts. I think you will be pleased, and they do have a layaway.

For those who can't wear wool someone in my clan got a kilt from Celtic Croft in poly viscous (?) it look pretty good and was a reasonable price.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
daronthomas 
Posted: 04-Dec-2008, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Indiana

male

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 11-Apr-2007, 10:53 PM)
Check out Rocky and Kelly, at USA Kilts, http://www.usakilts.com/

They have been in business for many years and have an excellent reputation. You can ask the boys from BarleyJuice, they get their kilts there.

Ditto here, Rocky is a great guy and sells a good product.

--------------------
Owner/Kiltmaker
Alpha Kilts
www.alphakilts.com
Your Source for Modern Mens Kilts
PMEmail Poster               
MrKrink 
Posted: 14-Dec-2008, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Shelby, NC

male

QUOTE (Roberto Phoenix @ 11-Apr-2007, 06:59 PM)
I thought I post a space where we can discuss kilts, were you got yours, how was the fit, price, quality, etc.

Unfortunately I have to start off the topic on a bad note. DO NOT buy from Clansman Knitwear unless the merchandise is right in front of you and you can see the quality. I put a $100 deposit on a kilt I've been wanting to get now for five years. luckily the maker of the tartan, who told me that no order had even been placed for my kilt, has no connection with Clansman. He hadn't had an order from him in over two years. I did this last August at Irishfest in Milwaukee. Nice guy, very accommodating. Come Nov I sent an email asking how the order was coming along. He sends one back saying it will be done in 2-3 weeks. Come Feb I email again. no answer, I call and get a machine. Into March and there has been no response. I checked the forum over at www.kiltmen.com and it turns out this company loves to make promises and not follow through. Filed a complaint with the BBB in San Fran. They have 96 complaints listed and more coming in.
They have changed their web name to scottishclansman.com but the site is still the same.

I got to say I had a similar experience with them at the Grandfather's Mtn Games. I ordered a shirt there and they took my money and never shipped the shirt. I tried to no avail to get intouch with them but they wouldn't answer emails and not return phone calles. I filed a complaint with my bank and got my money back after a couple months. STAY AWAY!!!

As for the kilt discussion here, I have got to say that the cheap kilts look exactly that....cheap. You cna pick one out of any crowd. I am not opposed to the Utilikilt, they are what they are, a unique novelty, very cool. But outside of those, I think is anyone is going to "wear the kilt" they should save their pennies and get a real one which is a contribution to our sacred heritage and not just something to say I got one.

I purchased mine from the Scottish Lion years ago. They were made by Locharron in Scotland and were not to unreasonable in price....$400.

--------------------
Slainte!!
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 15-Dec-2008, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I'm surprised they are still in business. I went to Irishfest the year after and there was one guy in a wheelchair who also got ripped off on the shirt deal. I told him to do what you had done. Hope he had some success.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]