Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> It Aint About Who's Doin Who...., ...it's a states rights thing.
SCShamrock 
Posted: 05-Aug-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

Ok, if I have any of this wrong please inform me.

First, powers not specifically granted the federal government rest with the states...right?

The voters of the state of California said they didn't want gay marriage.

Homosexual Federal judge throws out the ballot initiative known as Prop 8, citing unconstitutionality.

Now how is it one judge can overrule to will of millions of voters?

Since this will be appealed (and it WILL go beyond the 9th), doesn't that mean, since the SCOTUS will almost definitely be decided by a tie breaker, that again, ONE person will decide for the millions of voters of California, which is an affront to the US Consitution? Will this not also make that one decision something of a mockery of our entire governmental process?

I'm all ears.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 06-Aug-2010, 05:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

I have the same feelings. If the subject being voted on does not fall under fed jurisdiction (or I would suppose, something crucial to the protection of our country), why shouldn't the vote of the people have the power to decide?

Again I always become irritated w/this subject because it isn't at all about equality or gay rights. It is about stubborn political egos.

The easy compromise is providing gay couples civil unions (they can then have their ceremonies just like heteros do), yet protecting "marriage" for heteros. Most conservatives I know agree to this.

As a conservative Christian I feel homosexuality is as wrong as an adulterous affair--no worse, no better--a sin is a sin. However, under the constitution I feel we should offer them civil liberties. The example I think of, is if either of the partners became sick and couldn't see their partner or make decisions for their partner in the hospital.

...just my 2 pence!

Jillian

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Jillian 
Posted: 08-Aug-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

I never really answered your post...I agree, as it stands, marriage is a states' rights issue so if the judge rules it unconstitutional...does he/she mean it is unconstitutional in regards to the California state constitution or was he/she referring to the US Constitution?

Doesn't the US Constitution defer to states in regards to this issue? If so, then how does California law interpret the legitimacy of propositions? I guess I'm wondering if the SCOTUS should or will hear this case?

What a tangled web...

Jillian
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 08-Aug-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I believe the Judge ruled that Prop8 violated the "Equal Protection Clause under the 14th amendment of the Constitution (I'm willing to bet the people who wrote that amendment would consider the Judge's opinion pure unadulterated pelosi). The problem with the Judge's logic is that Prop8 does not discriminate based on sexual orientation. Two heterosexual males or two heterosexual females can't get married to each other either.

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]