Posted: 23-Jul-2007, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I don't think God has ever promised to make our lives easy or fair. Just to be there when all is said and done.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 24-Jul-2007, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Tassiecelt @ 22-Jul-2007, 08:37 PM)
The time IS coming when we will all come to a common belief, Jesus is returning to establish His Kingdom for those who are faithful to the truth. Then all will worship the One True God, the only God, the God of the Bible through the Son, Jesus Christ.

Worshippers of false religions, dark arts, pagan religions and atheists will not be part of that Kingdom. They disqualify themselves through their disobedience.

TC, I realise we're in the Christian Corner, but don't you think we can be a little more inclusive? There was a fair amount of spite in that post, don't you think? One man's truth........, right?

In the words of Ben Harper (a Christian, for anyone willing to listen),

"I try to keep things simple, but you always need the works."
PMEmail Poster               
Shepherdess 
Posted: 24-Jul-2007, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Well this is a surprising little corner to find!

My faith has had its ups and downs but I've been blessed to feel that it was there at the hardest times. Nothing really awful compared to some, but I nearly lost a leg in a car wreck that also seriously injured my two year old son; I lost a good friend to leukemia, slowly, a couple of years ago; and around the same time my marriage almost ended when my husband developed PTSD after the accident and we developed severe financial problems and I lost my farm and had to sell a lot of things that were important to me, basically to save our family.

I guess I'm the most pedantic of people, but what I reach for in the blackest times is the simple knowledge that it all fit together when life DID make sense, so I trust it will still work even if it takes a while. Assuming, of course, that I don't muck things up myself. God's fairly clear about the things that will do that - and they are surprising - running my mouth whining and gossiping is right up there. Another is being too much of a busybody and not being happy with the simple things.

As my friend Jock from the Borders says, "Ony day I'm a six feet up's a gude ane." He usually says that to me when I greet him groaning (greet him greeting, lol) first thing in the morning before a training session. I am not a morning person, a characteristic he does not understand.

"A bad habit," he says. Indeed, it can be a convenient excuse. Excuses are another thing I don't think God likes, also.

Here's a couple of helpful books:

A quick read with lots and lots of awesome references for further purusal: The Case for Faith by Lee Stroebel Lee is a journalist who started out an atheist, then journeyed gradually to a firm faith in Christ. This book addresses some tough questions - the unforgettable image at the very beginning is of a weeping woman holding her dying child in a famine striken country, up to the sky, as if pleading for some sense from the world, from the gods, from anyone.

An old classic but still worth it: Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis Hey, he's Irish, too! This little book came about when Lewis gave a series of talks during the darkest hour of the second world war. It's about the basics of faith delivered in a kindly, sympathetic manner with the needs of the unbeliever and the wavering in mind. And every word is still amazingly relevant. Did I mention he's Irish?

Speaking of Irishmen, if you are into a bit more heavy reading, there's a fellow named Os Guiness who has produced some good texts on faith and squaring away belief with the modern world. Yeah, he's a Guiness and yeah, it is that Guiness family - the patriarch of the company is his uncle. Obviously you needn't fear any Bible banging here - though he does, as I say, get very passionate. Did I mention he's Irish?
The Call, God in the Dark: Assurance of Faith, Unspeakable: Facing up the Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror

--------------------
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, North Carolina, USA
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]