Posted: 15-May-2004, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

On the cover of the latest Clan MacLachlan Magazine (called Clan Lachlan) there is a picture of a portrait (if I could figure out a way to attach it to this post you could see it too sad.gif ) of the 17th Chieftan of the Clan, Lachlan MacLachlan, who fought and died for Scotland and Bonnie Prince Charlie (Charles Edward Stewart "the Young Pretender") at Culloden Moor. I thought I'd post some information on him and the Clan during the Uprising of 1745.

From the Clan MacLaclan in North America Website http://www.maclachlans.org/

The '45 - The Last Rebellion
With support from Kenneth MacLachlan of Keilaneuchanich (the Glasrie property near Dunadd), who was appointed Adjunct to the company, the MacLachlans were able to field a band of over 100 Highlanders when they joined Prince Charles at Holyrood in Edinburgh.
A garrison of the Argyll Militia occupied Castle Lachlan during the '45 Rebellion. The Chief's family was forced to abandon their home and take refuge with the Stewarts of Appin.
Prince Charles dispatched Lachlan MacLachlan of MacLachlan with a few horses to Perth to give them intelligence of his designs and to hasten their march to Carlisle.
At the Battle of Culloden, Lachlan MacLachlan led a Jacobite Regiment that consisted of 115 MacLachlans (a reasonable turnout given that the MacLachlan lands were surrounded by Campbells) and 182 MacLeans of Mull (who chose to be under his command when their Chief failed to show up) into battle alongside Clan Mackintosh and Clan Chattan. It was this front line that, having survived the Hanoverian artillery barrage, launched a fierce offensive against the government lines. (The battle cry used by the Jacobites in their charge, Life or Death has since become Clan MacLachlan's war cry.)
After managing to break through the Hanoverian defenses at the point protected by Barrell's Regiment, the Jacobites, finding themselves outnumbered, retreated toward their own lines. Few clansmen survived the battle. Lachlan MacLachlan himself was a casualty of this battle when he was struck and killed by a cannon ball. His body was later found behind Hanoverian lines.
Another MacLachlan casualty of note was Lachlan MacLachlan of Inneschonnel, hereditary Captain of the Campbell's stronghold .
The Reverend John MacLachlan of Kilchoan, a member of the MacLachlan of Kilbride cadet family, served as Chaplain General within the Prince's forces.

"Life or Death"

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]