Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Aselin Debison..., What do you think about her music???
Taliesin 
  Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

I just heard Aselin Debison's track The Dance You Choose for the first time on Highlander Radio. I rather enjoyed it, however, I see that it is rated only 1 star. I thought this extraordinarily low. Those of you who have rated it that low, why did you rate it that low? What do you think of the rest of her CD? I'm going to look for some MP3's to determine if I want to buy the CD when I get home, but I'm curious as to what the rest of you think.

Specifically, I think my questions are this:

How large are her Celtic influences? What percentage of her "Sweet the Melody" CD is Celtic-sounding? What do you think of her non-Celtic sounding tracks? Why?

I think that's it.

By the way, my name is Chris, and I'm new to this community as of yesterday. smile.gif I love Highlander Radio! I am looking forward to broadening my Celtic horizons. I've been listening to Celtic Music foo years, and have always been sad that the only way before now to listen to music you might not have had a chance to hear yet is to go to a Highland Games, which tend to be expensive. Thank you Highlander Radio for exposing me to tons of new artists!

-Chris

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

I bought Aselin's CD after I had seen her on a CBC special. I think she's pretty good, but has room for improvement, that I feel will come with maturity. She has not developed her singing voice completely, and I think as she gets older, her voice will improve. She just sounds like a young teenager singing to me.

As far as her influence goes, it's more Cape Breton style than Celtic. I personally wouldn't label her as Celtic.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
talleyrand 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I bought her disc after hearing her on CR. Something about her voice I can't get enough of.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
susieq76 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Welcome, sir tal! I don't know if I rated her or not, but am not too keen on Aselin Debison. Her Christmas song caught my attention, but the others I did not like at all. I think it is just a matter of personal taste, really.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
Taliesin 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

Welcome, sir tal!

Why, thank you!

I think it is just a matter of personal taste, really.

Oh, I would most definitely agree. I'm sure I dislike some music that many people rave about. I don't have a problem with it really. My statement about rating Aselin a 1 was more to say that in my opinion, it should be higher, which is of course based on my personal taste. smile.gif

Of course, I have only heard the one track. "The Dance you Choose", or whatever it's called. I rather liked it, and would say that the fiddles and such on that track were in the Celtic style, IMO. Now, I am in no position to rate her as an artist, but I did like that song.

I was just very curious to see what people liked or disliked about her. (To help me determine whether I want to spend the time to try and download her mp3's to see if I want to buy the CD.)

-Chris
dundee 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

i, yes, tis i, i am one that rates her at a "dump it" i think she has a definite talent
but her voice is to young and shrill for me ....... i am of a mind that in a few years
she will develop and be a celtic voice to be reckoned with...... just one mans opinion and i had to look up reckon to find out how to spell it ... so what the heck do i know rolleyes.gif note.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (dundee @ 15-Sep-2004, 03:32 PM)
i, yes, tis i, i am one that rates her at a "dump it" i think she has a definite talent
but her voice is to young and shrill for me ....... i am of a mind that in a few years
she will develop and be a celtic voice to be reckoned with...... just one mans opinion and i had to look up reckon to find out how to spell it ... so what the heck do i know rolleyes.gif note.gif

Ditto.

Don't let Urian see this thread. He hates her with a passion biggrin.gif tongue.gif .

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

Don;t worry, Mike - I think he's offline lol.gif I do like the fiddles and stuff on there, phoenix. And welcome to the world of "southern" lingo, dundee. I use reckon all the time, I reckon blink.gif
PMMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

oh, and love the avi, mike!
PMMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

I think Paul needs to add one more pick to the ratings. Right below "Dump it" should be the rating "Pull" as in the term you yell on a shotgun range. Meaning the song should be used for target practice.

There is no question that she can't sing a note. to save her life. The Mike Oldfield song that she does, I am horrified at how badly she mutilates it. I would think that Mike would never allow her to use any of his songs again, if he ever heard that. ohmy.gif

I usually keep a few cd's close by if one of her songs come on. I pop that in real fast and after that I make sure I click on"DUMP IT".

Now that the vote has been taken on her songs and just about everyone of them has a 1 rating, time to "PULL" them!! biggrin.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I certainly am not a fan. Just doesn't sound good to me. "Getting Dark Again" is ok, but I'd rather not hear anything else on that CD. Come back in a few years and try again, lass wink.gif And keep working on that in the meantime.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

CelticRadio 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,391 Gold!

We either receive messages from people that they love her voice or that they don't care for her voice. Very strange how people seem to be split on this.

As far as Celtic music is concerned, it fits very nicely into our broadcast. In fact, there are musicians here (solo) that contributed to her album. From what I understand she has a natural voice and has never had a singing lesson. Thats what is amazing.

Her music and voice will grow on you. The more I listen to her album the more I like it. I did not like all of the songs initially, but now they are among my family's favorite.

In fact, my 5 year old actually sang "Sweet is the Melody" in her sleep one night when it was playing on the radio! Never ever seen someone sing in her sleep, although music has been part of her life since day one.

There is a DVD that goes with the "Sweet is the Melody" album. In fact, for those that purchased the CD - put the CD in your computer and it will play one of the videos!

On the matter of song ratings, if you like a song - then request it and when it is playing give it a high rating. Keep doing this everyday to get a songs rating up. Likewise, if you dislike a song, then give it a negative rating when you hear it.

Its going to take a long time for Song Ratings to be accurate. I'd say once we are up to 10,000 hits a day for 6 months will the sampling come close to the population.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Okay, there is such a thing as personal taste, then there is just foolishness. To say that she cannot sing a note is absurd. Who wouldn't love to have a daughter with that much talent at such a young age! She can hold her own with just about anybody, and certain has talent to spare when compared to a lot of other young popular female singers. The fact that she chooses to sing the style of music she sings is even more a credit to her intellect. Obviously, she comes from good people. wink.gif

As to her style, it is folk - pure and simple. Yes, there is a strong touch of celtic, but it is not purely Celtic. Not everything Paul plays is hardcore Celtic. If that was the case, we'd be listening to Gaelic and Welsh and Breton all day! So, Paul, keep driven'er on the tunes, you're doing a fine job!

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (Macfive @ 15-Sep-2004, 08:42 PM)
In fact, for those that purchased the CD - put the CD in your computer and it will play one of the videos!

thanks for the tip Paul. I didn't know that, but just popped it in and watched it. It's an excerpt from her CBC special that I was abe to catch last year. That's what the DVD is...her live Glace Bay performance.
talleyrand 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

And since I can't seem to find the announcement that told about the most recent changes to requests to comply with the DMCA, I noticed that tonight Sweet is the Melody and The Dance You Chose got into the request queue right after each other. Looks like there might be a bit of a race condition for the queue logic, Paul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]