Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
199,291 Gold!

Background: The MacIans of Ardnamurchan, who sometimes, wrongly, called themselves Johnstone, claimed descent from a son of Angus Mor, Lord of the Isles in the fourteenth century. In the seventeenth century some of them settled on the east coast and became prominent merchants in Elgin, where they called themselves MacKeane. This clan of MacIain is long remembered as being the clan who was massacred at Glencoe in 1692. Old MacIain, chief of the McDonalds of Glencoe, and his clan were massacred by order of King William. The story of the MacDonalds of Glencoe thus begins in 1692. The MacIan MacDonalds were active in many unsavory affairs including support for Montrose in his many campaigns for the Jacobite cause, and the reiving of cattle from lands to the south - Campbell lands in Argyll. In the eyes of the southern people, they were a clan to make an example of. They MacIan MacDonald's were a small clan of no more than 300-400 strong. They'd lived in these lands for centuries and felt themselves the owners of the area. In February of 1692, under government orders, a regiment of government soldiers from the Duke of Argyll's (Campbell) militia, came into the glen. Most of the troops were Campbells, or septs of the Campbells, but the strict code of hospitality required the MacDonald Chief, and his people, to give food and shelter to the unwelcomed guests. At 5 a.m. in the morning the soldiers awoke and massacred most of the clan - woman, children, men - anyone under the age of 70, those that fleed died of exposure in the mountains of Glencoe.

Variations: MacIain, McCain, MacKean, MacKane, MacKain, MacKeen, MacKeane, MacIan

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=41

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]