caliking_girl 
Posted: 28-Oct-2006, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Nanaimo

female

Thanks for the welcome, it was the music that brought me here. I love the music on the radio here.
And yes, I know about Russell Crowe and Alan Doyle, I have the cd. *grins* I thinks they make a good pair.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Dec-2006, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi everyone.

I heard that Great Big Sea have a new cd out. Has anyone heard it and if so do you like it.
I also understand they are doing a 12 days of Christmas auction and all proceeds will benifit the Janeway Childrens Hospital Foundation. You can see more here:

Auction

Sona Nollaig
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 17-Dec-2006, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

It's kind of a updated live concert CD/DVD combination of Rant and Roar, or their live CD/DVD, and the Hard and Easy. Good reviews over at amazon as always. My only complaint was that the CD has only 22 of the 24 tracks on the DVD. Danny Boy and Run Runaway (the song that originally hooked me on bagpipes) are not on the CD. And they are the ones I really wanted to be on the CD.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 21-Dec-2006, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hello Roberto, I hate it when that happens. So is that a thumbs up on the new cd?

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 21-Dec-2006, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I haven't picked up the CD yet but I probably will. GBS usually doesn't let me down and there was only one semi negative review and that was about the DVD not the Cd. Is run runaway on any other GBS CD? It's a two hour trip to the nearest CD store that stocks anything celtic. I checked down in the twin cities this last weekend but not one store caried anything I was looking for and GBS had not arrived yet. With Sam Goody out of business here it looks like online ordering is becoming my best way of shopping for anything.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 21-Dec-2006, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi Roberto, I didn't know you lived by the twin cities. I used to a long time ago. Still have family in Minneapolis. I like to shop with Amazon because its easy and fast. Well I think I will wait on mine then.. I do love this band..

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 28-Dec-2006, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

We lived in the twin cities for about three years before making the mistake of moving back to Ironwod cuz tuition was cheaper. We are hoping to move back when I finish school. I did however pick up the CD this weekend. It is a good CD but not as good as their last Great Big CD/DVD combo. One reviewer on Amazon says that Alan sounded abit tired (exhausted at some points) and I would have to agree with them. There is energy here but at a lower level. If you don't have Great Big DVD & CD you'll probably like this but if you already own the first than the second will be a little bit of a let down.
I have'nt seen the DVD portion of it yet but the disc also contains video of the concert as well as video for "When I am King", "Captain Kidd", "Shines Right through Me", and "Lukey" with the Chieftans which was already on youtube. I got it from Best Buy for 15 instead of the 20 from Barnes and Noble.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 28-Dec-2006, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Ok I want ta cry... I just typed a entire page up and lost the darn thing. Anyhow Roberto,
I got a surprise in the mail today.

A very dear friend gave me some Campbells Gold Collection Shortbread cookies from Scotland and som tea called twinings Assam can only by it in Wales, a wonderful postcard of the National Wallace Monument, Abbey Craig, Stirling- bet your wondering where is she going with this one.

..well they also gave me GBS's Courage Patience & Grit In Concert and the DVD woo hoo... so far I love it.. Haven't had the time to watch the DVD but I will find it. I just really love these guys tunes..

One of my favorite songs is Mari Mac and I have never heard them do it once that I didn't like. These guys are my heros....reallly.....

Slainte If I could I'd slip ya one of these wonderful cookies..... smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 30-Dec-2006, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

It is a good CD and I stilll love their version of Meri Mac. Doesn't Gaelic Storm do a version of it? I know some high profile irish band does but I can't think of who right know. I'm able to get the Walker shortbread cookies up here once in blue moon from Copps. Otherwise its a trip to Hayward, WI or the Twin Cities. Have you checked Old World Market. They carry lots of goodies. Except for jelley babies. I get those at irish fest
PMEmail Poster               
BEANEE 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Matthews, North Carolina

female

I immediately know a GBS song as soon as I hear the lead singers vocals. His voice is so unique and the music definitely gets me up and going. Great Band!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Roberto-there's many bands that do Mairi Mac-but I have to say Great Big Sea is my all time favorite. I love Gaelic Storm too! I will check out Old World Market for the cookies thanks so much.

BEANEE- Welcome to Celtic Radio! I hope you enjoy the music as well as the wonderful people that are here on the forum. I will agree with you on the vocals of GBS they are fantastic!!!!! A wonderful band all around...

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
dan.bird 
Posted: 23-Sep-2007, 02:32 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

male

A bit late in the day but their performance at Drumnadrochit in the Beat the Drum festival was inspirational.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Feb-2008, 11:36 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Anyone else got any news on one of my favorite bands. Seems like its been kind of quiet. I would say they are very close to being my favorite band.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
lawrence50 
Posted: 12-Mar-2008, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacOak

male

Just on the website and they are quiet. A concert here and there in Canada and the States but with the summer festivals and touring season coming up fast I would hope they are on the road. I have seen them 4 times and hope to see them again.
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 13-Mar-2008, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

They are a fun band to watch and their songs are very catchy. I've seen them 4 or 5 times now, but I think at the end of the day they are basically a pub style band. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but when you've seen a band of highly talented Celtic musicians, such as Altan, Dervish, or the Barra MacNeils, GBS ends up looking somewhat second rate. They are a very enjoyable group and I do appreciate their live shows.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]