LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Sorry for being so late Celtic Rose to say that its my pleasure and if one day you get the chance to go and visit Scotland i say to you go for it you won't regret it.

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Hey LOA! One thing I would really love to do is go on the Diana Gabaldon, Outlander tour. That would be my ultimate dream!
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 17-Jul-2007, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Well, I read all of her books and in a sense we did this kind of Outlander's tour in Scotland.
We did the hole country and we'll go back again in a few year from now
because there are some places we didn't get to see.

I wish for you that some day your ultimate dream will come true.
PMRead My Blog View My Photographs               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Jul-2007, 02:35 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Lady of Avalon and I wish the very same for you!
Mischevious Wench 
Posted: 25-Oct-2007, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: at the moment: cedar rapids

female

i may be a young lass but that was a beautiful statement. anywhoosit, hopefully when you finally found your goals in the future *coughdungeonscough*.

i know that one of the tortures back then was that if some high and mighty would to interegate someone they would probably threaten and actually commit to rip a victim's apendages and make them eat- woah i am getting definitly way to into this. sorry about that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of every dark moment, a light shines through.
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 29-Oct-2007, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Speaking of torture I found the article in my old Ren magazine (Vol 7 #4, Issue 28) about the torture of an accused witch back in 1631 in Dreissigacker, Germany. Makes you glad you born when you were. Pretty gruesome reading and not for the fainthearted. Except for number 5.

From Daniel P. Mannix "The History of Torture"
1-The hangman bound the woman who was pregnant and placed her upon the rack. Then he racked her untill her heart would fain break.
2-When she did not confess, he poured oil over her head and burned it.
3-he pourned sulfer in her armpits and burned it.
4-Her hands were tied behind her, and she was hauled up to the ceiling and sudddenly dropped
5-The hangman and his helpers went to lunch
6-On returning the master hangman placed a spike board on her back, pulled her up to the ceiling and then dropped her to the floor.
7-Her toes were put into a thumbscrew and the screw tightened untill blood squirted out of her toes.
8-She was pinced with red hot irons
9-As she would not confess...she ws wipped and put into a vice which was radually closed on her for the next six hours.
10-She was hung by her thumbs and then flogged. This was all that was done on the first day.

Gee, I wonder what they did to the males.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 30-Oct-2007, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

ohmy.gif
OH MY!!!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 30-Oct-2007, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

That makes me think..my day isn't so bad!!! Wow..

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 30-Oct-2007, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I had the same reaction when I first read it. Of course I still can't help but crack a smile when I hit number five. Makes it sound like a day at the office.

5-The hangman and his helpers went to lunch

Cats meat-red wine!!
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 31-Oct-2007, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

lol Robert.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 02-Nov-2007, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks for sharing that, Robert. I had heard life in the dungeons were pretty horrible and that torture could be excessive, but WOW! What you posted was pretty horrific! No, worse than barbaric! Sure glad I didn't live back then! unsure.gif
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 08-Dec-2007, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

It seems that many of the dungeons of old were run by the Roman Catholic Church to deal with heretics, that is those that were opposed to receiving the message that God loves them, and since they would not accept that the Church felt it had a duty to torture them.

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
Gracen 
Posted: 05-Apr-2008, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

Hi Rindy. I guess from what I've read and seen (movies are not the best or most point-on interpretation of history - in case you didn't know biggrin.gif ) about dungeons and torture devices, I guess it's right to assume they would interogate prisoners in the dungeons. I would think they would hold them in the dungeons and use torturous devices in order to get them to divulge the info they were after. I think it was also a way of confining the "enemy" until they decided the fit punishment. I think the reason that the dungeons were so dark, dank, cold, filthy, vermin infested, etc. is because they didn't see it reasonable to go to any great lengths to keep their enemies or evil doers of the community in comfort and peace.

Have you seen "Elizabeth"? In one scene they are torturing a prisoner who was thought to be involved in the plot to overthrough Eliz. Her men report back that he was indeed guilty of helping in the plot and Eliz. says somthing to the effect of "A man will confess to anything while on the rack!" What a cool, if not telling, statement. If you are pulling my joints out of socket and snapping my bones, yes, I'll confess to whatever deed you lay at my feet.

Rindy, I hope you find the information you are looking for on dungeons and please keep in mind that this is just my humble opinion from what I've picked up on in my readings, etc. and is in no way presented as factual research results.

Best of luck! angel.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 08-Apr-2008, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Thank you so much for you opinion Gracen. And welcome to the Celtic Radio forums. I have learned so much already and I did see the movie Elizabeth. I agree with you the movies are not always historically correct as well. What I am in amazement over is the torture that went on. Things and devices I've nver heard of.
I don't know who in shall we say their right mind could harm a human period.
Guess I wouldn't make a good torturer. I'd be saying "run like the wind run" and know I'd best run as well or I'd be next.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 21-Apr-2008, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

This would be a much more recent "Dungeon." In the 1950's, my high school psychology class took a field trip to the Indiana State School for the Mentally Retarded. That would not be politically correct today. I thought the conditions were terrible during the early part of the "tour." We finished by visiting the second level under ground which was referred to as the Dungeon." We were told that it had not been used for MANY years! Then only for the most "dangerous" and "disruptive" cases. It obviously had not been maintained and to describe the conditions as abysmal would be totaly inadequate. A sane person placed in that environment would have trouble maintaining their sanity! It was a quiet bus trip back to our school. Some time in the early 60's the institution was closed and the private sector took over. Those images have remained with me for many decades. We take care of our animals better than that!

Slàinte, Patch

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]