Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> So, Have You Come Out Of The Broom Closet?
RavenWing 
Posted: 14-Jul-2003, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I was wondering this the other day. I haven't exactly come out of the broom closet yet. Some peope know, like some close friends and my sister, and my mom has an idea. On the other hand, my brother is a Presbyterian mimister, and I haven't been able to tell him yet. I should have nothing to fear, but I just don't want to deal with some of the possible repercussions.

If you have, how did it go? What made you decide to go through with it?

Maybe your experience will help others. (mainly me biggrin.gif)

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Hmmmm, I guess nobody has unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

100%? No. My mom and dad don't know exactly, but they have a clue.
Everyone else.. Freinds and the like. Yes.

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
RavenWing 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

I think family is the hardest. (see above)
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

My religious affiliation has always been eclectic to those who know me, my family (includung my wife) knows what I believe but does not know how I believe! I am percieved as a christian, a heathen, and just plain weird by most !!!
It is my and my dieties business only how I profess my beliefs! To come out of the closet does not matter to me... my god(s) know and that is all that should matter!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

You make a great point. My problem is there are so many religious discussions where I have to keep my mouth shut because I will say something "bad". Most of that is my own fear, but there is still a lot of intolerance in my family.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Intolerance is just ignorance disguised as prejudice! What a person believes is between them and their god and only that! Those that ridicule or persecute (SPEL) are just showing their lack of faith in their own beliefs and convictions! I have lived a full 50+ years with the intolerance of others to my beliefs, even when I was being schooled in the catholic faith I had my doubts and made them public...Gee guess what... I was a weirdo! If your convictions are sound and you do not faulter in your beliefs then you can be sure you are doing what is right between you and your god!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 25-Jul-2003, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

This is why I love this place. Y'all are so supportive smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Dinah 
Posted: 14-Sep-2003, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

female

I've never been really in the broom closet, but that doesn't mean everyone knows what by beliefs are. On the one hand I've been interested in Paganism ever since I was 12 when here in Germany only a few people what that even meant. On the other hand I am living in rural Bavaria, where the Catholics rule, and I've always had religious education in school. Actually I even took my A-levels in that subject.

There were times when we had a discussion about certain philosophies and believes in class and to make my point I'd bring in a book on paganism that made my point clear and show that to my teacher. I just didn't think about how that might look or mean or anything. My mom is very open when it comes to religion, and I've had many discussions and actually have been surprised how easy she deals with the topic. I moved into my own place last year and told her I was still looking for a spot to set up my altar and she made suggestions and helped me look for the blanket I always use as a decoration.

Now, my grandma's and my father? No. It's just that they wouldn't understand it, they couldn't grasp the concept of it, so I don't try to explain, I just avoid the topic. Though they have helped me get out of the phase where you take everything a bit too seriously (which happens if you try to make your traditions by reading books, lots of which take themselves too seriosuly and are heavy on the ritual).

Once your dad gets used to watch football in your room and put his mug of beer on your bookshelf/altar you learn to forget overzealous formality tongue.gif

Dinah note.gif

--------------------
Always, she is standing by my side
She's my inspiration, and she's my battle-cry
And in her arms is the only place I know
Where peaceful waters flow.
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Thanks, Dinah

A good chunk of my ancestry is German catholic. I believe they were from your neck of the woods.
PMEmail Poster               
Celeste of the Stars 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

female

I've been out of the broom closet for almost 2 yrs. Well to everyone but my grandmother, shes old and I don't want to give her another heart attack. My mother took it a lot better than I thought she would. She is usually very judgemental, but all she said is, "if it makes you happy and your not hurting anyone then have fun, just don't say anything to your brother and sister (they're only 14 & 11) I promised her I wouldn't till they get older and only if they asked.
My dad (who is soooo much cooler than my mom) saw the pentical I wear and said " I didn't know your turned jewish!" laugh.gif I laughed and explained what it was. He said as long as I was happy it didn't bother him.
My husband is agnostic (he believes in a higher power, but he's not sure what power that is), when people ask him if he's a wiccan he says "no I just hold stock in it" (he provides all the funds for my work) biggrin.gif

--------------------
Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
Celeste of the Stars
PMEmail Poster               
Eclectic_Stag 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: York

male

If people ask I would tell them. But it's not a question I get asked very often. But I must admit I do wear a triskel ring now as a mark so people of similar beliefs may recognise me.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven_Whitefang
Posted: 13-Nov-2003, 03:19 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

I never said anything to anyone about it, but I never hide the fact that I am. I knew I was different when I was about 6 years old. Things went well beyond the kiddy play of picking up a stick and "casting" a spell. Since then, ive had to guide my own way through my path. When my mother said something to me about my pentacle was when my family pretty much found out. Mom is a die hard born-againer. She asked me if I would remove my necklace while I was at her house. Simply said back to her "I wouldnt ask you to take off your cross whilst at my house. Its not respectful" Of course we had the whole "Witchcraft is of the devil" speil from her and me telling her the truth of what I believe. She hasnt said anything to me about it since. My uncle once again is a born-againer and he likes to debate things. I Love My Family.

Having a debate with someone who doesnt know all the facts, is an unfair fight wink.gif

vampire.gif

bhalilama 
  Posted: 14-Nov-2003, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

laugh.gif Boy, RavenWing,here's another topic that's parallel with my life.I've jumped out of the closet,ran back in,peeked my head out,closed the door,opened the door but stayed inside,jumped back out.....now I guess the door is opened,I'm out,but I stay real close to it.
My dad was a baptist preacher,my Mom is a quite sheep of the flock,and my brother is now a very vocal deacon of the sothern Baptist. Dad passed on 15 years ago,Mom and I have had many discussions (and she prays for me a lot laugh.gif ),my brother is my main concern. I have two beautiful nieces and I want to be able to be a part of their life. I steer away from topics around him. I have become firm enough in my own beliefs that I wouldn't back down from them if asked. I just try to not get asked with him around.( A covering incantation works well here.)
Two days ago I was holding my niece and she reached into my shirt, pulled up my penacle,said "What's this?".I just hugged her closer and replied(as I was replacing it into my shirt)"Just a loving circle". wink.gif One afternoon I was getting ready for a nighttime ceremony outside, when he and his wife just stopped by. I pulled up a couple of lawn chairs, asked my daughter to put on a pot of coffee,and kept on getting my fire ready. Of course, they wanted to know what I was doing. I just said "getting ready for a night of star gazing,Wanna come? I'll be out here about 11:30 to see Orion's belt overhead"(It helps to become familar with the stars on so many levels.) People know I love to plot the stars.(This is always a good reason for being outside at night!) It also helps that my brother is so full of himself that he is'nt very observiant(sp). tongue.gif Another story on this line,I was at Mom's and she needed me to help her with somthing that required me to take off my rings. I finished up ,turned around,and there is mom with all my rings on. Most of them are just Celtic knots,silver bands,but she would have s__t a brick if she understood my moonstone over a pentacle.
There was a time I thought I would be turning my back on the Lord and Lady if I didn't proclaim my beliefs to everyone. I now know that my relationship with them is mine alone.I accept that if someone needs to hear from my mouth,I'll know. the need to declare came from my upbringing.(Nothing wrong with that,just not for me.) My books are laying around and my alter is in the family room.Most people are not aware.I conceal the pentacles and such not because of shame,only for peace. Love,Light,and Happiness to all,Redbreeze

--------------------

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Drink thee fast, the ale grows old!
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 14-Nov-2003, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Wow, I understand completely! My brother is a Presbyterian minister and we have gone round and round on the whole spirituality thing. I am sure he is praying for my salvation. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]