Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 7 Celtic Nations, What were the seven Celtic Nations?
CelticRadio 
  Posted: 26-Dec-2002, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,971 Gold!

It is generally understood today that there are seven separate though related Celtic nations and tribes, all of which who are connected to one another by common history and culture. Many of these nations are resulting settlements of Celtic tribes in a history of diaspora. These seven nations respectively are:

user posted imageAlba (Scotland)

user posted image
Cymru (Wales)
user posted imageKernow (Cornwall)
user posted imageMannin (Isle of Man)
user posted imageGalicia (Spain)
user posted imageBriezh (Brittany)
user posted imageEire (Ireland)

Since so much of the Celtic peoples history was passed down by "word of mouth", there is little record of their history. The Celts believed that passing down their hertiage and culture by song and dance would have a more lasting effect than the written text book. In some respects they were correct!

I hope to post more information about this topic in the future. If anyone wants to share their knowledge, please step in!

Here is a map of the Seven Celtic Nations:

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 11-Jan-2003, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Does anyone know what the symbol is on the Isle of Man flag?  It looks like three legs to me!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 12-Jan-2003, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I think it is a three legged something

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 12-Jan-2003, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

http://www.fotw.ca/flags/im.html

I quote:
The national flag of Man is a plain red field with the "trinacria" emblem in the centre. This is a banner of the arms which date back to the 13th century and are believed to be connected with Sicily, where a similar device was used in the Norman period.

The present rotation of the legs was restored by a royal proclamation in 1968.

Origin of the triskelion

According to the World Encyclopedia of Flags, by A. Znamierovski, 1999:

'The triskelion (from the Greek "three-legged") is one of the oldest symbols known to mankind. The earliest representations of it were found in prehistoric rock carvings in northern Italy. It also appears on Greek vases and coins from the 6th and 8th centuries BC., and was revered by Norse and Sicilian peoples. The Sicilian version has a representation of the head of Medusa in the center. The Manx people believe that the triskelion came from Scandinavia. According to Norse mythology, the triskelion was a symbol of the movement of the sun through the heavens.'
Jarig Bakker, 27 April 2000

In "Emblemes et symboles des Bretons et des Celtes" (Coop Breizh, 1998), Divy Kervella explores in depth the possible meaning of the triskell. It is the symbol of triplicity in unity, one of the basis of the Cetltic religion, and probably originally a solar symbol. Triplicity in the Celtic civilisation is examplified by: - the staff of the Celtic pantheon: Lugh, Daghda (Taran), and Ogme ; - the unique goddess who has three aspects: daughter, wife, and mother ; - the division of the society in three classes: priestly class, ruling and martial class, and productive class (craftsmen, farmers, fishers ...) - the philosophical conceptions of the world based on number 3: the three circles of existence, the bardic triads... The triskell is also oftren said to represent the three dynamics elements: water, air, and fire, or the wave of sea, the breath of wind, and the flame of fire. One of these elements is sometimes replaced by the furrow of the earth. A more complex interpretation says that the centre of the triskell is the static earth, which receives life from the three dynamic elements. The spiral could symbolize life, dynamics and enthusiasm, as opposed to everything straight and spellbound.

The representation of the triskell must be dextrogyrous (turning to the right). A senstrogyrous (turning to the left) triskell would have a maleficent, or at leat hostile meaning. Traditional Breton dances and processions always turn to the right. The war dances of the ancient Celts started by turning to the left to show hostility, and ended by turning to the right, as a sign of victory.

The triskell is close to the hevoud, another Celtic symbol and the Basque lauburu, and is probably of pre-Celtic origin (for instance on the cairn of Bru na Boinne in Ireland). Ivan Sache, 27 April 2000

If you want a short introduction into the question: "what is celtic/the celts" I recommend these sites:

The Encyclopedia of the Celts
The History of the Celts
The Origin of the Celts

PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 12-Jan-2003, 04:51 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Thank you, Aon!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 12-Jan-2003, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

you're welcome ;)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]