Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 28-Jun-2011, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

This looks good-can't wait to see what the soundtrack will be like!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg0VgPy6Uk...=topvideos_film

Summary here at Disney's main website for the movie. Lots of good talent in this. one

http://disney.go.com/brave/?cmp=wdsmp_brv_...combrave#/story

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 29-Jun-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Pixar makes some excellent animated features. I look forward to seeing it.

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 16-Nov-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Trailer #2 is out Looks like its going to be better than i expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snih2v2BLJY
PMEmail Poster               
Eimhir 
Posted: 18-Nov-2011, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacElder

Realm: The Arkansas Ozarks

female

I look forward to seeing it smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image

Aw the wit i the warld's no in ae pow
PMEmail Poster               
Vixie 
Posted: 18-Nov-2011, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: SW Mountain Desert

female

This looks good-can't wait to see what the soundtrack will be like!!

I read something earlier today about "Brave" where Patrick Doyle (the composer chosen for the musical score) said this:

"I want to make it accessible but to honour the Celtic traditions if I can. It’s a real fable set in Scotland. I could possibly use the bagpipes as a drone or something that gives atmosphere, but I will resist instantly using them until I see what’s going on ... they are extremely loud."

Really??? You HAVE to have bagpipes, for Pete's sake! Of course, if the producers et al were being true to history, they wouldn't have bagpipes, as the movie is set in the 10th century. But, then again, they wouldn't have kilts, either. I'm just thankful they got a Scottish actress for the lead voice (after considering Reese Witherspoon...that would have been a bad decision!)

--------------------
Slàinte mhòr agus a h-uile beannachd duibh!
(Good health and every good blessing to you! -- Scots blessing)

Victoria Dunn, author writing under the pseudonym Ria MacAlister
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 19-Nov-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Vixie @ 18-Nov-2011, 09:37 PM)
...Really??? You HAVE to have bagpipes, for Pete's sake! Of course, if the producers et al were being true to history, they wouldn't have bagpipes, as the movie is set in the 10th century....

A more recent movie representation of the bagpipes:

I wonder how much they paid a good Scotsman like Sir Thomas Sean Connery to play a character with a name like Flanagan and say the line: "It takes an Irishman to play the pipes." unsure.gif laugh.gif
Vixie 
Posted: 20-Nov-2011, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

female

I wonder how much they paid a good Scotsman like Sir Thomas Sean Connery to play a character with a name like Flanagan and say the line: "It takes an Irishman to play the pipes."

NO KIDDING!!! There are some people who will just do anything for the almighty dollar/pound/franc/etc. jawdrop.gif
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 20-Nov-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

A little history on the real Lord Lovat and his Piper, Bill Millin, from the clip from the movie "The Longest Day".

Brigadier Simon Christopher Joseph Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat and 4th Baron Lovat DSO, MC, TD (9 July 1911 in Beaufort Castle, Inverness, Scotland – 16 March 1995 in Beauly, Inverness-shire, Scotland ) was the 25th Chief of the Clan Fraser and a prominent British Commando during the Second World War. His friends called him "Shimi" Lovat, an anglicised version of his name in the Scottish Gaelic language. His clan referred to him as MacShimidh, his Gaelic patronym, meaning Son of Simon. Simon is the favoured family name for the Chiefs of Clan Fraser. While legally the 15th Lord, he is commonly known as the 17th Lord Lovat. He was also 4th Baron Lovat in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.

...Lord Lovat instructed his personal piper, Bill Millin, to pipe the commandos ashore, in defiance of specific orders not to allow such an action in battle.  When Private Millin demurred, citing the regulations, he recalled later, Lord Lovat replied: “Ah, but that’s the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn’t apply.”
William "Bill" Millin (14 July 1922 – 17 August 2010), commonly known as Piper Bill, was personal piper to Simon Fraser, 15th Lord Lovat, commander of 1 Special Service Brigade at D-Day. Born in Regina, Canada on 14 July 1922 to a father of Scottish origin who returned to Glasgow as a policeman when William was three. He grew up and went to school in the Shettleston area of the city. He joined the Territorial Army in Fort William, where his family had moved, and played in the pipe bands of the Highland Light Infantry and the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders before volunteering as a commando and training with Lovat at Achnacarry along with French, Dutch, Belgian, Polish, Norwegian, Polish and Czechoslovakian troops.

Millin is best remembered for playing the pipes whilst under fire during the D-Day landing in Normandy.Pipers had traditionally been used in battle by Scottish and Irish soldiers however the use of bagpipes was restricted to rear areas by the time of the Second World War by the British Army. Lovat, however, ignored these orders and ordered Millin, aged 21, to play. When Private Millin demurred, citing the regulations, he recalled later, Lord Lovat replied: “Ah, but that’s the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn’t apply.” He played "Hielan' Laddie" and "The Road to the Isles" as his comrades fell around him on Sword Beach. Millin states that he later talked to captured German snipers who claimed they did not shoot him because they thought he was crazy.
Vixie 
Posted: 20-Nov-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

female

thumbs_up.gif
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 11-Jun-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Update-yes there are bagpipes. Actually they have a video parody of all those K-Tel comemrcials from way back but featuring bagpipe tunes. You can find it on youtube-its called Freedom Broch
Actually the bagpiping in the movie was played by several members of the Red Hot Chili Pipers.

The website has a ton of features on it including downloads, trailers, products,and music samples from the entire soundtrack which, I believe, Amazon hasn't posted yet. Several songs are by Julie Fowlis. There also some fun games on the website including an archery contest and Highland Games.

So just to wet your appetite here is the video that came out today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_-T7Z2Gqs
PMEmail Poster               
MattPayton 
Posted: 12-Jun-2012, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Knoxville, TN

male

I wish I had the money to buy bagpipes and learn how to play them! Haha.
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 15-Jun-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

DD's are also very interested in seeing this one, so I'll have company when I see it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Grace2302 
Posted: 15-Jun-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Tampa, FL

female

I can't wait to see this movie! My 9 year old niece is visiting for the summer, so I'll be going to see it with her. She can't wait either! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Boadiccea 
Posted: 15-Jun-2012, 10:22 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

I can't wait to see this movie, it's going to be freakin awesome!!!!!

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 25-Jun-2012, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Ok, I went and saw it and loved it. Music was good, computer animation wasw excellent, and there was plenty of kilts and other funny moments (as in how do we get down from the tower). I did feel it needed to breath just a bit and some of the featurettes that were online aren't in the movie (such as the father and daughter lessons and the triplets reenactment of the father winning the mothers hand). But these will probably be on the DVD when it is released so no worries. Would be nice to see a part two to this-lots of potential out there for good scottish tales.

Sadly I was the only one in a kilt. Should have gone up to Duluth were they had a pipe and drum band and highland dancers out front. Still, there's always hope for Brave 2.

So what did you think of it?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]