> Cat Problems, any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

At one time, long ago, I posted about the health problems of our male cat. He is diabetic, has struggled with pancreatitus and now has fleas.
About two weeks ago, the wife and I gave his litter box a complete cleaning, meaning we dumped the litter completely out and washed and scrubbed the box out. Normally we removed the soiled stuff and replaced the litter.
Now the stupid cat will not use it! Instead he has been doing his business in the dining room. Needless to say, our house reeks!
This morning after feeding him, I noticed he started wandering around the dining room and living room (this weekend we did a complete cleaning of the carpet in the dining room). I picked him up, took him to his litter box and dropped him in. Immediately he urinated. I concluded that if I didn't drop him in, he would have went elsewhere.

Any cat owners/lover with any suggestions? Our house still stinks! pooh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I take it he's an older cat? Neutered or still one of the guys? It would seem that the thorough cleaning of the litter box was offputting to him. I've seen upset cats that were stressed by changes in the house start doing their business on carpets, even in their own bed. Maybe he can still smell the cleaner or disinfectant. It might be better now that he's wet in the clean box once. I know it sounds dumb, but the next time you really clean his box, you could try saving one dry poopie and kind of lightly bury it in the clean sand so he recognizes his own smell.
PMEmail Poster               
Randy 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 12:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

Realm: Rochester, NY

male

I do not know much about cats specifically, but I know animals in general. I am much better with dogs. Anyway when an animal is a diabeitc many other problems usually go with it not usually at first but eventually. One is they will drink alot more water, if you are giving him/her insulin you may need to give more. When they drink more water they will pee more )). The other worse problem is catarax. It is VERY common with diabeties and may be why he was wandering around.

Good luck

Randy
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

So Randy, are you saying that maybe he can't find his way to the cat box and therefore does his business on the carpet? Thats interesting. I will check into that.

Stormeil - we always scoop out his box thoroughly, leaving no turds or wet spots. You are right though, it really put him off when we did the complete cleaning. He is older - around 10 we think, and neutered. We always joked that he was "mental", which may account for his behavior.

Thanks to both of you.

Any one else have any thought?
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 11-Oct-2005, 03:37 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

How long has your cat been diabetic? Has he ever had any insulin reactions? (Low blood sugar, seizures?) Being "mental" may not be a joke in that case. They can get the feline equivalent of Altzheimers. He may not remember where the litter box is without the smell to guide him.

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 11-Oct-2005, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Any time an animal has a sudden, unexplained change of behavior the first step toward sorting it out is a trip to the vet. There are several medical issues that could cause this change in behavior and your vet is trained to sort them out.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 13-Oct-2005, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

3Ravens: he has been diabetic since early summer I think. And yes, he has had some insulin reactions. I think your thought that he has forgotten where the box is is a good one. I have actually picked him up and dropped him in it. Sometimes he goes - sometimes no.

Swanny: I understand what you are saying about the vet. I hesitate because I truly think our vet is a shyster, only interested in our money-not curing our cat. Sorry to be cynical, but I feel used by him.

Thanks for your comments.
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 14-Oct-2005, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

JP, I'm sorry you're not happy with your vet. Have you tried finding another? In my mind choosing a vet I trust is every bit as important as finding a physician I trust. If you aren't sure where to start call your State's veterinary board, most State vet boards maintain a list.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 18-Oct-2005, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Swanny @ 14-Oct-2005, 11:23 AM)
JP, I'm sorry you're not happy with your vet. Have you tried finding another? In my mind choosing a vet I trust is every bit as important as finding a physician I trust. If you aren't sure where to start call your State's veterinary board, most State vet boards maintain a list.

Swanny

Thanks Swanny.

Update: I had to cut out a section of our dining room carpet because it reeked so bad from cat urine! In fact he had just gone on it right before I started to remove it - it was wet from him.
We plan on redoing the floor in there anyway. In the meantime I have scrubbed the area where the carpet was with bleach. Now I have no idea where he is going, because his box is dry/not used.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 18-Oct-2005, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I think you are probably using bleach now to disinsfect, but urine is alkaline (from the ammonia component) and vinegar or lemon juice will neutralize fresh pee much better.

Not to make light of it, and I really feel sorry for your old boy, who seems to be confused and not too happy -- but there are two remedies that aging hippie owners may take to (didn't check your age -- but I don't mind saying this brought me back a few years smile.gif ) -- apparently if you are trying to find and treat old stains that have dried, black light makes them glow. Also, oil of patchouli (what we used to call "essence of head shop"), dotted around restricted areas, repels tom cats.
But of course you want to encourage him to come to the box, not repel him.

Poor old fellow. I hope he doesn't have a kidney disorder. It may be he isn't urinating much at all, and that would be quite serious.
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 18-Oct-2005, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 18-Oct-2005, 11:46 AM)
Also, oil of patchouli (what we used to call "essence of head shop"), dotted around restricted areas, repels tom cats.
But of course you want to encourage him to come to the box, not repel him.

Great point. Also, patchouli can mask some of the most pungent odors (hence the reference to essence of head shop) that nothing else can tackle. I have to agree too with the idea of leaving a turd. After some time, domesticated animals will often go through a routine, but if he's experiencing any dementia, then 'not' smelling his own smell may well have confused him beyond the familiar location of the box. You say he resoiled the same spot of carpet, then I suggest that he recognized his own smell. I would suggest putting him in his litter box a few times a day, especially immediately after feeding.

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 19-Oct-2005, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hmm...patchouli? Maybe I should also get a Jimi Hendrix poster to go with it! biggrin.gif
Thanks!
Yesterday my wife came home and found he had peed right where I took out the carpet. Also, the little fart peed right in front of me in the family room! Just steps away from his box!! I grabbed him and dropped him in the box, but zoom - right out he went!

I tell my wife we cannot keep this up. But she says if I can take him tot he vet to put him asleep then do it. What you don't know is that she says this with a face and look that says I will be dead if I ever tried it! scared.gif

So I guess I'll put up with the monster for a while

Thanks SCshamrock and stormeil!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Oct-2005, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Poor guys -- you and the ould kitty both.

Do they make Depends for cats?
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 19-Oct-2005, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Confirmed Daydreamer
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

One last suggestion before running out of ideas--and I know this will likely be unpleasant for you. Maybe if you put the litter box there where he is doing his business, and then over the course of a week or so, slowly move it back to its original location, he'll get the message. ???
PMEmail Poster               
ChocolateFilk 
Posted: 19-Oct-2005, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacElder

Realm: San Diego Area

male

As an owner of three cats at the moment and have had problems such as this before. In this case I would try putting the cat box on or near the spot he goes in the dining room and slowly relocate it to where it normally sits. Another idea is to put the piece of carpet that you cut out in the cat box, half buried in the litter.

We have found a product called Nature's Meracle that does a good job of getting rid of the odors, but it takes about two weeks to neutralize the smell.

--------------------
Jesus is Lord ||| Love Kate ||| Clan Ross ||| Science Fiction ||| Windbourne Sound ||| Filker
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt