Shamalama 
Posted: 13-Jul-2004, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

Recently I've found that some elements of some websites no longer appear in my web browser. Here's what I've found out.

I'm running Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 (corporate decision, not mine). Many websites use some form of Java for menus, buttons, tickers, rollovers, etc., that no longer display and I get a window asking if I want to download something.

Here's what Micro$oft says:

---

Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Support
Published: September 12, 2003 | Updated: May 7, 2004

Recognizing the need to provide a smooth transition for current users of the Microsoft® Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM), Sun Microsystems and Microsoft have agreed to extend Microsoft's license to use Sun's Java source code and compatibility test suites. This extension allows Microsoft to support the MSJVM until December 31, 2007, providing customers with the ability to transition from the MSJVM on a schedule and plan that is most effective for them.

The MSJVM will reach its end of life on December 31, 2007. Customers are encouraged to take proactive measures to stay informed about obsolete software and move away from the MSJVM in a timely fashion. The MSJVM is no longer available for distribution from Microsoft and there will be no enhancements to the MSJVM. Microsoft products and SKUs currently including the MSJVM will continue to be retired or replaced by versions not containing the MSJVM on a schedule to be announced.

Obsolete software, whether in the form of unsupported products, old service packs, or even expired certificates, is an issue every customer needs to be concerned with. Microsoft software life cycle communications help customers identify obsolete software in a proactive and ongoing fashion.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/

---

So, I guess, Microsoft will no longer support the MSJVM after December 31, 2007. If you want to see Java elements on websites after that then you have to download 3rd party software if you're using IE.

If you do, through, want a third-party Java Runtime Environment solution then Microsoft recommends going straight to Sun Microsystems.

user posted image

Is this Microsoft's way of killing Java?

Just another reason, IMHO, for running quickly to Mozilla/Firefox!

user posted image

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 14-Jul-2004, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

Micro$oft will have to try harder than that to kill Java. Especially with Big Blue solidly behind it. IBM has regained its powerful place in the IT industry and if they want Java pushed, it's going to get pushed, IMHO.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]