> What Are You Doing Right Now?
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 09-Jul-2005, 09:15 PM)
I am finally catching up on what's going on with CR after a short absence. I'm also at work. Guess what I'm doing though???

I know some of the older members may remeber me back when I graduate school and was slightly out of a job right? Well I got a job since then. I've been working at the local news station as a production assistant (running master control and recording shows and all that). Well after about 5 months of employment I have been promoted to news director. I will start training to direct the news in two weeks.

I'm going to Colorado to visit family and when I come back I will start directing! Wahoo! How awesome is that???? I still have to discuss pay with my boss though. I always feel so weird about talking about my pay with my boss. Ugh.
!

Ceciliastar, I remember this very well.. I am so proud of you Yee Haw! Way to go. Enjoy your trip to Colorado. I will be going down there in a couple of weeks.

Oh I am so happy for you "The NEW PRODUCTIONS ASSISTANT"

Be sure to let us know how it is going... OK??

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Hi Ceciliastar1.....so good to see you back. Sounds like you're doing great. A promotion like that is quite an accomplishment, especially is such a short time. News director.... pretty awesome sounds about right!! I am sooooo proud of you!!!!!!! wink.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi BGL- "waving"

I am reading your post and trying to catch up again. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif Congratulations Ceciliastar1, keep up the good work! Have fun with your family in Colorado.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 08:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Trying to catch up myself.

Other than that, just wasting a little time before I go to bed. Need to get up early tomorrow and get the car registered. ugh.

Emmet...I'm so jealous of you. I really want to learn the pipes, and be good at it. I did recently find out though that the University of North Carolina has a piping class every semester, and it's only $100 tuition. All I need is a chanter. If after the class you are invited to join the UNC pipe band, they supply the pipes and uniforms for FREE! Hopefully by spring we'll be financially stable enough so that I can take the class.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Annabelle 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Right now I be playin here!

Haven't had much time to read and catch up with what's going on! So I took a few minutes away from working on paper work from my business to just chill out. Problem is everytime I "chill" I get sleepy!

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

"Hava Nagila for bagpipes...I just got this request about 11:00 PM last night for a gig this coming Sunday... the bride's mother says that even a few (recognizable) bars of it will be a hoot."

They'd already danced the Hora (I wish I could've seen that!), and as they were applauding the step dancers that had preceded me, I struck in from stage left and marched out into the tables to "Endearing Young Charms" (they wanted a non-sectarian Irish love song, too) then up to the dance floor. After the first couple of bars of "Hava Negila", the crowd literally ROARED; I'm not sure they heard the rest of the tune. A couple more tunes, and I marched off to "Wearing of the Green" to very loud and (I hope) genuinely appreciative applause; I'm not sure they heard that tune, either. What a hoot!

Believe it or not, that's my second big fancy Irish/Jewish wedding in two weeks. The other one was split with both a priest AND a rabbi; he was an Irish -American Jew, she was Catholic Indian. 3/4 of the wedding party was dressed in gorgeous silk and gold saris and long kurtas, with caste marks and turbans, with a smattering of yarmulkes; Hindu, Sikh, Jewish and Christian, and of course Pagan me in my kilt, doublet, and caubeen; rather like piping for the UN. One interesting cultural note; besides the groom, exactly two of the rich patrician Americans said hello to me; the rest treated me like a servant (pretended that I wasn't there). The vast majority of the Indians looked me in the eye, warmly smiled, and nodded, a courtesy I was genuinely happy to sincerely reciprocate.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Emmet, "Enter The Haggis" sometimes play that in the beginning of a set and everyone rolls!
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

"Emmet...I'm so jealous of you. I really want to learn the pipes, and be good at it. I did recently find out though that the University of North Carolina has a piping class every semester, and it's only $100 tuition. All I need is a chanter. If after the class you are invited to join the UNC pipe band, they supply the pipes and uniforms for FREE! Hopefully by spring we'll be financially stable enough so that I can take the class."

If you can swing it (as I recall, money's pretty darned tight when you're in school), it'll be the best investment you ever make; $100.00 a semester is a deal.
Of course, money can be pretty tight when you're out of school, too; three degrees later, and I'm now earning exactly one dollar less an hour than I did as a sophomore back in the day. C'est la friggin' vie.

A guy at work today was asking me about tonight's gig; I later overheard him complain "Do you know that that son of a ***** earns more in an hour on those ******** bagpipes than we do in a ******* week!?

I highly recommend Naill and McCallum polypenco practice chanters; takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Mine's an antique blackwood Lawrie with a genuine ivory ferrule and sole; a real joy to play.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 11:12 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Many congrats to Ceciliastar! That is terrific news! thumbs_up.gif

Brian, how do you like living in NC? How are things going for you there? I lived there a couple years myself. Beautiful country.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Listening to MostlyClassical, an internet classical station on iTunes' radio tuner, and checking out the forums before I hit the sack.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Alchemist 
Posted: 12-Jul-2005, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Northumberland, England

male

[COLOR=CornFlowerBlue][FONT=Times][SIZE=7]

I'm sitting in my small upstairs lounge/office, sipping a Auchentoshshan malt whisky and listening to CR. I'm looking north towards the border. The sun has just set and I can see the Cheviot silhouetted against the red glow in the sky.

'Chilling'

Exiled Al

--------------------
Phoenix rise,
Raise your head to the sky,
Bird, rise high from the cinders,
Leave it all behind,
All the ruins and the fire.

Wishbone Ash 1970
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 12-Jul-2005, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Did my fourth gig in six days at noon; a funeral I was called upon to pipe for at 11:00 PM last night, including "Taps". Family was very appreciative; funeral director was absolutely ecstatic. Then went and got a broken molar pulled (had been postponed twice for gigs, and rescheduled again to this afternoon to make way for this morning's funeral); if you've never experienced an extraction, be advised that it's a real bummer. Reading up on the 'Net on dry sockets; "no alcohol" (way too late for that one!), "no woodwinds for 10 to 14 days"...yeah, right! Mandible, you've got exactly four days before your next wedding; get over it!

I think I'm going to go do some (more) narcotics and flake out on the couch, finish watching the series "The Celts" from BBC. Pity I won't remember any of it...

PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 12-Jul-2005, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Exiled Al @ 12-Jul-2005, 05:07 PM)

I'm sitting in my small upstairs lounge/office, sipping a Auchentoshshan malt whisky and listening to CR. I'm looking north towards the border. The sun has just set and I can see the Cheviot silhouetted against the red glow in the sky.

'Chilling'

Exiled Al

Welcome to the forum, Exiled Al. It's nice to have you here. You should stop by the introduction topic and tell us about yourself. We love having new members.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 12-Jul-2005, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Emmet @ 10-Jul-2005, 11:47 PM)

Of course, money can be pretty tight when you're out of school, too

I highly recommend Naill and McCallum polypenco practice chanters

This is more the case with me. It's been years since I've been in school. The $100. price is for community members. Students actually have to pay the going school rate.

I'll definately keep the Naill McCallum chanters in mind when I'm ready to buy.

Brian, how do you like living in NC? How are things going for you there? I lived there a couple years myself. Beautiful country.

We love it! We're both looking for better jobs right now, and money is a bit tight, but the area is beautiful. I love all the trees. Reminds of home in CT. You didn't have all these awesome trees in Florida. It's also nice being close to my daughter again. We spend a lot of time with her, and she loves it.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]