Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sick Or Injured Critters, Ever save one?
tsargent62 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

My wife was shopping at Home Depot last night. She found a little chipmunk curled up under a pallet, barely moving. She has a bit of a soft spot for critters, so she brought him home. We've been referring to it as "him" although we don't know how to check. Do chipmunks have hangy down things? I named him Depot. Last night we thought he wouldn't make it through the night. This morning we was alive and well. Kewl!

BTW: Did you know that chipmunks love powdered doughnuts?

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

They usually live in round nests which only have one hole in the front as an entry. Inside the nests are stuffed with soft materials. So you could offer "him" something where he can snuggle in.

To feed him you should know that chipmunks are no pure vegetarians. They also eat slugs, insects, even young birds and eggs besides of fruits, mushrooms, seeds, nuts, blooms, berries etc.

So you can feed "him" nuts, different kernels, fruits etc. He will also love hard-boiled yolk and a piece of hard, dried bread...shouldn't be white bread...

A friend of mine used to care for young squirrels which the forrester brought to him to try to save them.
In good pet shops they do offer special food, but you need not feed it necessarily...

If the chipmunk is still very young you will have problems to identify a male one...no problems to identify a female one...so have a closer look... wink.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mercyforme 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: washington

female

Tell your wife I said a thankyou for her being so kind biggrin.gif What are you going to do with him??

--------------------
Look Beyond what you see
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 12-May-2004, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Do first wives count? king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Danann 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 03:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Alabama

female

OK, sit back and get a beer/soda... but becareful when you drink it, you might end up snarfing it out the nose. This story doesn't have a happy ending, but it was funny looking back...

I was in my freshman year of college just returning from Christmas break. Like any good college students, my roommate and I decided a midnight run to Kroger was in order. We hopped in my Hyundai Accent and headed to the store. On the way there was a black cat laying in the road on the other side of the road. I felt bad that a pretty kitty had been hit and killed when the creature raised its head and meowed at me. I pull a u-turn in the middle of the interstate and stopped in front of the cat. My roommate thinking I have taken leave of my senses screams at me not to get scratched. I rush out to the cat and pick it up and get back behind the wheel of my car to drive the cat... somewhere.

Well, Kitty decided it didn't like being a co-driver and shoved its paw through the steering wheel so I couldn't turn, so my roommate and I switched places. Now, keep this in mind for later... she didn't have her driver's license with her. We head to the closest vet, and they were of course closed at midnight. So, we go to the next logical place... Scott County Memorial Hospital ER. We rush in and the receptionist is on the phone with someone who is obviously a friend or a love, and she takes one look at the yowling cat in my arms and says, "uhhh... I'll have to call you back." She tells us that they can't treat animals... well duh!... and we tell her yeah yeah, where's the 24 hour vet (we knew there was one in Lexington). We were pointed in the right direction, and we were off to the Catmobile once again!

Of we sped at well past the legal speed for those roads and a redlight trys to impede our rescue attempt. Ever the cat-tarian my roommate frantically states, "If it doesn't turn green I'm running it!" Needless to say we ran it. We hit the highway at 80 on a 55 mph speed limit and fly past a cop right at the exit we needed. we at least slowed down to 65 when we did. He pulls us over and me... being ever so bright... tell my roommate to get out and tell him what's going on. She gets so far as unbuckling her seatbelt and going for the door handle when she turns back to me and informs me, "He'll shoot me!" So nice mister cop-man comes to the window and asks for license and registration. Keep in mind, this is my car and my roommate doesn't have her license with her. I shout from the passenger seat, "MY CAT IS DYING!!" Cop-man shines his light at me right into the cat's eyes which sets him off yowling once again, and the cop, very understanding tells us to go on, but to put our seatbelt on.

So off we go again! The goal in sight, and we turn the wrong direction on the road... Roommate goes frantic - "I turned the wrong way! I turned the wrong way!" I reply, "It doesn't matter... I think its dead." Unfortuantely, the cat didn't make it to the 24 hour vet before he passed. We took it on to the vet anyway and the lady at the desk took him from us and we sit down to wait for the prognosis in 2 plastic chairs. I wipe the spittile of the cat off my coat and stare at the wall. Roomie says, "I just ran a redlight." I say, "I just picked a cat off the side of the road up." Roomie, "I just got pulled over for speeding without a license." Me, "I just had a cat die in my car!" We both start laughing histerically and the vet assistant thinks we are sobbing our eyes out, peeks around the corner of the room, and ducks back in, then comes out to tell us that indeed the cat is dead, and did we have any burrial requests for him. We told her the full story, to which she was laughing at by the end, and told us they would take care of everything, and thanks for even trying.

Since then the only other thing I've helped rescue were birds that fall out of the nests around the building at work. But that story is one that is brought up any time my college friends and I get together.

--------------------
So, I have an new site that is pretty neat, Check out Dannah's Home Page

Also, for original storys or thoughts from me, check out my blog: Dannah's Blog
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

That's a nice story. I bet that poor cat is still thanking you for trying.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
tsargent62 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (mercyforme @ May 12 2004, 02:43 PM)
Tell your wife I said a thankyou for her being so kind biggrin.gif What are you going to do with him??

Well, that's up to him now. Yesterday morning. Maria went to pick him up and he jumped right out of the box we had him in. So now there's a chipmunk running around loose in the house. I can't remember how she got him outside, but he was alive well last we saw of him. It feels good to know we had a hand in helping him recover.
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I think my ex is running around outside somewhere too tongue.gif Cool stories. My wife and I are cat and dog people since we have no human kids. There is nothing we wouldn't do for our fur kids. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

AAACHOOO! Can't do cats. I'm allergic to them. Give me a big ole mutt any day. The bigger the better. Don't like little foo-foo dogs.
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

My wife is allergic to cats and I've had too many dogs killed by cars to want another one. However. . .

When I was about 10 years old, my father cut down an old dead tree in our backyard (rural Arkansas) and found a nest of baby flying squirrels. We took them in the house, lined an old shoebox with a rag an put them in it. Don't remember the exact number, but I think there were 4 or 5. They were so small they couldn't even nurse from a doll's baby bottle. My mother put milk on her fingertip to feed them. I wanted to be able to see them so I cut a hole in the top of the shoebox. Unfortunatedly, I cut the hole too big. As they got a little older, they began to be able to get out of the box! When my dad found one curled up in the toe of his house shoe, he decided it was time to introduce them to the outside world. I hope they had long and happy lives. They certainly gave me some happy memories.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
TetonAndDistrictPerformingArts 
Posted: 16-Oct-2015, 12:40 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: South-East Idaho (Idaho Falls)

male

Years ago, when I was a paramedic... I had just finished a shift of 12 hours, and was heading home on the interstate, in Oregon.

A large shadow came across my windshield, and I saw a huge red hawk hit the windshield of the vehicle traveling next to me. The bird spun-off and crashed on the side of the road.

I pulled-over walked back to find the bird still alive. So, I wrapped it in my my medic jacket, put it on the floorboard of my can and drove home.

My wife looked-up the address of the aviary, and off we went. The wife drove, while I held this ever-awakening, and very happy, creature.

Upon arrival at the aviary, the vets inspected the bird for damage, etc. It appeared to be in pretty good condition. But, they said that they would observe it for a week, to make sure.

About a week later, I got a call from the vets, telling me that "my bird" was ready to be released, and to come get it.

It was awesome! I took my three-year old daughter, we collected the hawk, drove to a hill top, and released the bird.

I was one on the neatest things I've been a part of. biggrin.gif

--------------------
David S. R. Clark, Administrative Sergeant-Major

Burns' Society of the Tetons

Ammon Scottish Festival
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.
munchkin5450 
Posted: 16-Oct-2015, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Palatine, IL

female

I think that had to be a majorly AWESOME experience for you and your daughter!! Any chance you were able to get a picture of the event?
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 16-Oct-2015, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Beware of wild animals, have them checked by a vet.
As for the chipmunk loose in your home, CATCH it quick. They love to chew electrical wires and cords and are a fire hazard when running around your home, just ask my homeless friend!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
TetonAndDistrictPerformingArts 
Posted: 16-Oct-2015, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: South-East Idaho (Idaho Falls)

male

To Munchkin 5440,

I'm, afraid, no photos. That would have been nice. I wish somebody extra could have been there recording the moment.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.
RJBUBBAMACK 
Posted: 23-Aug-2017, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #91
177,719 Gold!

There actually happened to be a bird that was injured just outside of my house. We fed the bird some seed. He doesn't look like he can fly that well as he only made it about 3 feet before dropping. We were worried about cats that sometimes wander so we moved him to a box so we can take him to a nearby bird sanctuary.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]