jime307 
Posted: 10-Mar-2008, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

To the Trailhead! Hiking is a very great thing to do, it's really good for you and the views of wildlife and scenery you'll see along the way are indeed fabulous if you don't get a lot of hiking, or just plain have never been, you should defianatly try to do it some. Let's discuss hiking and share some of our great experiences and have a blast

-Jimmie

--------------------

St. Patrick's Day countdown banner
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
jesstuss 
  Posted: 11-Mar-2008, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: New England

female

Ooh, one of my fave topics cool.gif Avid hiker, married at 4500 feet. Been into letterboxing lately...if you love treasure hunts, make or do them on your favorite trails!!

Link to Letterboxing

--------------------
We begin where our ancestors end...but wherefore go our children?
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
jime307 
Posted: 11-Mar-2008, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

Hmm... that's very interesting, sounds like it would be really fun just to leave clues for the other hikers (will they solve our mysteries???) =) I love hiking but it's still sorta snowy here and none of the trails are open yet.
Rindy 
Posted: 11-Mar-2008, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Great subjects jime307. I love to hike also. And one of these days the snow will be melted to where you can get out and about. Do you hike for the day or overnight? Probably both huh? I found it can be really windy on top of those peaks-in town for that matter..but I finally found a Mountain Hard Wear windstopper vest..I love it. Do you have any thing that you like to take along with you-other than bear spray...lol....???

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
jime307 
Posted: 11-Mar-2008, 09:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

really I think that the best thing you can take along is a good hiking partner(s) but make sure its someone who will enjoy it with you and not just be a pest. I do sometimes do some overnight but ussually I stay more in the day, this summer however I've got quite a few good camping trips planned out
ctbard 
Posted: 12-Mar-2008, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

I use to letterbox myself, havent done it lately, it's alot of fun,like jesstuss said, it's like treasure hunting, plus you get a good hike.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
FamhairCloiche 
Posted: 20-Mar-2008, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Oklahoma

male

QUOTE (ctbard @ 12-Mar-2008, 05:27 AM)
I use to letterbox myself, havent done it lately, it's alot of fun,like jesstuss said, it's like treasure hunting, plus you get a good hike.

My family and I started letterboxing last summer. My three-year old really likes to get outside.

Speaking of hiking, outside, and Celtic, I just found my dream vacation at this link:
http://www.distantjourneys.com/travel-scotland/highland_way.html

It's a 13 day hike up the West Highland Way from Glasgow to Fort William! Now if I could only remember where I left that extra five grand.
PMEmail Poster               
Muircheartach 
Posted: 20-Mar-2008, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Sunny Sunnyvale, CA

male

Hi FamhairCloiche and all,

I was surfing forums on the site and found this one - great topic and FamhairCloiche's post made me want to reply. I have walked several loch trails in Scotland and in my area as well. The best trail near home is Sawyer's Camp Trail, which goes around Crystal Springs Lake, then goes up to San Andreas Lake trail. Although the ones overseas took more than a day to hike, the ones close to me can be done in a day, since the longest one is just over 20 miles round way.

--------------------
Best cheers! Robbie
PMEmail Poster               
jesstuss 
Posted: 27-Mar-2008, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

For me, there is no place in Scotland like Kinlochleven. I wrote almost forty pages of a book in two days there... needless to say, I fell in love wub.gif

Like Muircheartach, I had to post because that hike sounds AMAZING!!! Bah, maybe in next year's itinerary...
Muircheartach 
Posted: 27-Mar-2008, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Sunny Sunnyvale, CA

male

QUOTE (jesstuss @ 27-Mar-2008, 05:41 PM)
For me, there is no place in Scotland like Kinlochleven. I wrote almost forty pages of a book in two days there... needless to say, I fell in love wub.gif

Like Muircheartach, I had to post because that hike sounds AMAZING!!! Bah, maybe in next year's itinerary...

Hi Jessa!

I went to your profile page and looked at your photos - I never passed through Kinlochleven, but I was just north of you at Fort William for a wee bit. I don't like to think about my time over there, 'cause if I did I'd drop everything I'm doing now and go! I fell in love with the people and the towns, not to mention the beautiful countryside! I nearly cried when it was time to come home. crybaby.gif

Anyway, it's a long story, but I am making a shepherds crook walking stick at the moment from a small ash tree that got cut down 7 years ago in my back yard and a welsh ram's horn that I got in the Midlands when I was in the UK - it will be 65" tall when completed and have a (hopefully) beautiful carved ivy vine running up the wood staff.

I had a friend that lent me one of his staffs during the time I was over in Scotland and I remember the days passing wonderfully as we walked through fields, forests and around the lochs and castles.

Unfortunately, I will not have any time to go back this year or next... Ah, I feel worse now, better end this message. sadwalk.gif
PMEmail Poster               
jime307 
Posted: 27-Mar-2008, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

Ah, that sounds wonderful, alas, I've never been to scotland :'( although I hope to go as soon as is possible. I was hoping to get out on a hike or two during spring break, but the cursed snow keeps coming, it's not like I don't like it, I just think it's overstayed it's welcome
Rindy 
Posted: 28-Mar-2008, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

jime307-it's going to be time soon. The bears are coming out of hybernation, tha's always a great sign that spring is in the air. Do you have many troubles with bears up where you hike?

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
jime307 
Posted: 28-Mar-2008, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

I've never really had any problems myself but I hear they're about and so it's best to be cautious.
jesstuss 
Posted: 31-Mar-2008, 12:15 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

I and my hiking partners ran across a momma bear and her babe one year... or should I say, we were the ones doing the running-- and all of us making noise with pans and bells and voices!!! No one harmed, but makes for a funny story because of that. wink.gif
jime307 
Posted: 01-Apr-2008, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

indeed, My good friend had a bear come into his camp before. Good Idea to have some bear bells, they're nice.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]