Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
250,688 Gold!

Background: There are several theories concerning the origin of this name: one states that they are descended from a younger son of Camchron, a king of Denmark, but the more likely explanation is that the first authentic chief of the clan, Donald Dubh, was descended either from the Macgillonies or from the mediaeval family of Cameron of Ballegarno in Fife. Donald Dubh married an heiress of the Macmartins of Letterfinlay, and by his prowess and leadership, united the confederation tribes which became known as the Clan Cameron. He is believed to have been born around 1400, and he and his successors were known as captains of Clan Cameron until the time of Ewan Macallan, in the early sixteenth century, when the lands of Lochiel were united by charter into the Barony of Lochiel. Ewan’s father, Alan Macdonald Dubh, the twelfth chief, was reckoned to be one of the bravest captains of his time. It was during his lifetime that the feud began with the Mackintosh clan, which was to continue sporadically for about three hundred years.

Variations: Camerario, Camerarius, Chalmers, Chambers, Chlerich, Chlery, Clark, Clarke, Clarkson, Cleary, Cleireach, Clerk, Cummings (of Achdalieu), Dowie, Gibbon, Gilbert, Gilbertson, Gillonie, Kennedy (of Lianachan), Leary, Lonie, Mac a' Chlerich, Mac a' Cleireach, MacAldowie, MacAlonie, Mac an Taillear, MacChlery, MacChlerich, MacClair, MacClear, MacGillery, MacGillonie, MacGuillonie, MacIldowie, MacKail, MacKell, MacKenzie (of Onich and Ballachulish), MacKildowie, MacLachlan (of Coruanan), MacLear, MacLeary, MacLerie, MacMartin, MacMasters (of Corrybeg), MacMhaolain, MacMillan (of Murlaggan and Caillich), MacOnie, MacOstrich, MacOuildowy, MacPhail, MacPhee (of Glendessary), MacSorley, MacSorlie, MacUlric, MacUlrig, MacVail, MacVaile, MacVaill, MacVale, MacVee (of Glendessary), MacWalrick, Martin, Martinus, Paul, Sorley, Sorlie, Stronach, Taillear (of Cowal), Tayler (of Cowal), Taylor (of Cowa), Cameron

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=27

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-May-2007, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Extremely interesting, MacFive! I *may* be from Cameron clan as my mother had a grandmother with a Taylor surname. But at this time I cannot prove anything. We have a re-enactment Cameron clan in Tucson who get together once a year and they have invited me to join for the past couple years. However, I t always feel wierd cause I cannot prove anything...yet. However, because of my love of Scottish history I am so fascinated with the Camerons of Lochiel before and during the 1745 uprising.

Thanks MacFive! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
TandVh 
Posted: 28-Jun-2007, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The countryside around Exeter, California

male

I would encourage you to join. The benefits of involvement would certainly be rich and fun to say the least- that is if there's time in your day. So many cool things to do- so little time!

--------------------
TandVh
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Jul-2007, 03:27 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well thank you, TandVH! I somehow feel like a hypocrite if my family turns out not to be from the Cameron clan. But being a 1745 re-enactor, I was told that I could choose any clan I wanted and wear their colors. I want to especially do so with the Cameron's just in case my family do come from them...and most importantly they were a very strong influence and fought hard for the Jacobite cause during the 45. Then when I join the Cameron clan this fall for their re-enactment event, I will proudly wear their colors in either family heritage or just plain support for those who fought and died in the Cameron clan during the 45. May join the Cameron clas as well...thanks to your encouragement! wink.gif
davlcam 
Posted: 06-Apr-2009, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Southern California

male

Here is a bit of Cameron trivia.

The name origin is a combination of two Scotts Gaelic words: Cam, and Shron.

Cam is interpreted to mean bent, or crooked, and Shron means nose. Thus the Camerons are named with regard to having a crooked nose! Because of this, there is some speculation that this particular feature must have been attributed with Donald Dubh, and the members of his immediate family.

So all you folks thinking of naming your daughters 'Cameron' should think twice, lest the meaning of the name actually befall the unfortunate girl!

David 'crooked nose' Cameron....

--------------------
Ruithidh an taigeis fhein le bruthaich.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]