High Plains Drifter 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Colorado

male

Prior to the invasion of Iraq, our media on this side of the Atlantic reported overwhelming support for Bush's Iraq policy. At the same time, I personally had a hard time finding anyone in my circle of friends who supported it, I knew a few but the vast majority were against going to war in Iraq. I sometimes wonder where the poll takers do there work.

I also wonder why so many on the right can't understand supporting the troops and being against the war. They are not mutually exclusive. It's reminds me of the most unamerican saying to come out of the Viet Nam era, "America, Love it or leave it." war.gif

--------------------
Be Mindful
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I agree same here. A lot of my friends agree we should not be there.

And I too support our troops but oppose the war. I can show support for those merely following orders now granted I do have some problems with the higher ups that are more involved inthe disission process.
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Catriona @ Oct 14 2003, 04:44 AM)
So do I, Scottish2....

And their views appear to be vindicated...

BTW, don't know if it has made the news on your side of the pond - but it has been discovered that a mass mailout of letters purporting to be from US troops from the Second Battalion, 503rd Airborne Infanty Regiment, stationed in Kirkuk, Iraq were actually written by PR people - and that in some cases, the troops who supposedly 'wrote' the letters to their local newspapers - had no idea what their relatives were talking about when asked why they had written to the newspapers!

Seemingly it came to light when TWO identical letters were sent (supposedly by two different soldiers) to the same newspaper in Washington State.....

The letters stress how well the troops are being received, and how they are winning 'hearts and minds'...

The Commanding Officer of the 503rd AB confessed that he dreamed up the letter writing publicity campaign and got senior staff to draft it... his namae is Lt Colonel Dominic Caraccilo, and he said 'We are doing a good job here and we want the folks back home to know that'.
He insisted his instructions were that soldiers should only sign the letter if they agreed with its sentiments! rolleyes.gif

I think the old adage 'be sure your sins will find you out' fits this case, don't you? biggrin.gif

I have heard nothing of this either. I am not surprised though. I normally listen to BBC for news. Because our news is so white washed..... But, I haven't had time to listen at all this week....\

sigh......

It just makes me sick....all th BS King george, and the other "string pullers" get away with....AHHHH censored.gif bash.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

The "letters" story was covered on French TV news last night!

--------------------
Quand tout renaît à l'espérance
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (barddas @ Oct 15 2003, 01:37 PM)
It just makes me sick....all th BS King george, and the other "string pullers" get away with....AHHHH censored.gif bash.gif

Thinking string pullers if you haven't seen this flash video I put up awhile back it definately brings forth this point. Bare in mind might take a little bit to load depending on your connection speed.

http://www.celticradio.net/php/forums/inde...?showtopic=1474
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

That was amusing.... Loks like something the South Park guys would do....

PMEmail Poster                
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 01:02 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

I absolutely do not agree with allowing the Turks in Iraq. Especially, since Iraq's new Governing Counsel are totally against it. The US say they're allowing the Iraqi people to begin governing themselves---then the counsel has spoken "No!" The US should respect their decision as a show of faith to this new government.

I have to admit I did support the US entering Iraq and believed its reasons, but now I'm scratching my head asking, "Where are the WMD or where is the evidence that they were there and smuggled off to Syria?" I support the troops 100%. Donald Rumsfeld has gotten on my nerves. One main reason, he should have sent home the 3rd I-D and the Marines who entered Bagdad first and encountered the heaviest fighting and replaced them with fresh troops. He is just now giving them a two week leave---OH He IS SO NICE! sad.gif I hear the troop's morale is very low. Some say it is because of all the negative press.

On upside to the whole thing, I saw on the news that a group of Dem. and Rep. Senators went to visit Iraq and judge for themselves the state of the country. They had really positive things to say: Artists and musicans are back creating; Schools are opened and more are being rebuilt; Commerce is slowly gaining strength; Iraqi police are making arrests and keeping peace more on their own; Public works is being instituted for clean water and electricity for all the major cities; The day to day life of the Iraqi citizen is moving toward a more peaceful existence; They also said that the bombing attacks are rare compared to all the success that is moving forth in Iraq. One thing that three of the senators had in common was they were shocked when they toured the country because they expected the state of Iraq to be in worse condition according to all the mainstream negative media reports from America. I was very surprised. Maybe some good has and can come out of all this. unsure.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I hear the troop's morale is very low. Some say it is because of all the negative press.

Yes supposedly Stars and Stripes (For those who don't know this news media this is thje militaries news medium.) but they did a poll of 2000 of the troops and while not Schientific it was interesting to see that about half had and thought there was low morale and also half said they would not reenlist due to none of this being what they expected poor training and leadership. Amazingly this came out on US news must have slipped the censors.

On upside to the whole thing, I saw on the news that a group of Dem. and Rep. Senators went to visit Iraq and judge for themselves the state of the country. They had really positive things to say: Artists and musicans are back creating; Schools are opened and more are being rebuilt; Commerce is slowly gaining strength; Iraqi police are making arrests and keeping peace more on their own; Public works is being instituted for clean water and electricity for all the major cities; The day to day life of the Iraqi citizen is moving toward a more peaceful existence; They also said that the bombing attacks are rare compared to all the success that is moving forth in Iraq. One thing that three of the senators had in common was they were shocked when they toured the country because they expected the state of Iraq to be in worse condition according to all the mainstream negative media reports from America. I was very surprised. Maybe some good has and can come out of all this.  unsure.gif  rolleyes.gif

I would want to check with news abroad before I believe what these senators say. I wouldn't believe a congressman if his/her tongue cam notorized.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]