Elspeth 
Posted: 07-Mar-2006, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 06-Mar-2006, 09:45 PM)

What does, to this day, bother me about a lot of devout Christians, is the tendancy to measure for themselves who is a Christian and who is not, by their own yardstick. Judgement is one thing we are supposed to stay away from. We all know that verse.

I know!! It's bad enough being stereotyped by peopole outside the faith, but to be shoved into a niche designed by fellow Christians.

Words fail me. (but not for long lol.gif)

But, I try and remember many do it out of love. Baby love. A lack of interest and ability to grow in the knowledge and spirit of Christ, but in a miminized way, a way of love. Christians withstood being transformed by the world by banding together and circling the wagons. What got lost in the circling for the protection of the faith is the openmindedness to allow others in who didn't fit the same pattern.

And hence why there are so many denominations. Everyone searching for a place where they fit.

So, oldraven, yep there will always be those of us who don't fit in. But, hey, we're in good company. Jesus didn't fit in either. smile.gif

And, as for you Mr. Haynes.... ministering to the fish were you? A sunburn in chilly March. You poor baby.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 07-Mar-2006, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ 07-Mar-2006, 05:43 AM)
And, as for you Mr. Haynes.... ministering to the fish were you? A sunburn in chilly March. You poor baby.

This is tough! I don't even have any aloe vera, Elspeth! The ministry is tougher than I thought! As for ministering to the fish, the Word says we will be fishers of . . . (Hey, I know it says "of men," but that interpretation does not fit my current application wink.gif ).

Excuse me, but I have to go lie down sleepy.gif

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 07-Mar-2006, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

No aloe vera in FLORIDA???? jawdrop.gif

You do have it rough.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 07-Mar-2006, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ 07-Mar-2006, 05:43 AM)
[QUOTE=oldraven,06-Mar-2006, 09:45 PM]
So, oldraven, yep there will always be those of us who don't fit in. But, hey, we're in good company. Jesus didn't fit in either. smile.gif

Very good point. thumbs_up.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 07-Mar-2006, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I personally believe that not fitting in is the higher ground wink.gif

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 28-Mar-2006, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

To clear things up, I have been a stereotyped Christian a good many times in my life. It was a constant battle (Yes, past tense. I am one person who is looking for answers, unwilling to ignore the questions.). I was just pointing out some common excuses.

What does, to this day, bother me about a lot of devout Christians, is the tendancy to measure for themselves who is a Christian and who is not, by their own yardstick. Judgement is one thing we are supposed to stay away from. We all know that verse.

I do believe we are ALL guilty of pointing the finger. Reciently I've had to pull the plank from my eye. All I can say is thank God for "Amazing Grace".

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 28-Mar-2006, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

To clear things up, I have been a stereotyped Christian a good many times in my life. It was a constant battle (Yes, past tense. I am one person who is looking for answers, unwilling to ignore the questions.). I was just pointing out some common excuses.

I do believe we are ALL guilty of pointing the finger. Reciently I've had to pull the plank from my eye. All I can say is thank God for "Amazing Grace".
PMEmail Poster                
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 29-Mar-2006, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

Wow, what a fascinating topic this is! And what interesting responses too... cool.

It's often been the comment of people I've met that they don't attend church because they witnessed some professing Christian do something crooked like cheat their company, or cheat on their spouse... or buy liquor, which is actually what my husband's coworker told him earlier this week. We attend church regularly but are careful to nurture our personal relationship with Christ thru Bible reading & such. So we consider ourselves Christians first and foremost, and Baptists second - know what I mean? Anyway, my husband encourages others to attend a church of their choice but will discuss what Christ has done for him personally too. Well, he works with this one guy who never talks about faith or church at all and Reid was curious as to what he believes; so he mentioned our church, something about what was going on there, then asked this guy if he went anywhere.
That cut loose the flood, man. This guy said he's totally turned off church and Christianity because he once saw the pastor of the church buy alcohol on Saturday night. We wonder if there's more to the story and don't see it as our job to judge the pastor or this coworker on his attitude... but the coworker sees the pastor as hypocritical. Reid told the guy that he enjoys an occasional beer, he said, but he didn't elaborate on what else they discussed. To turn away from church because of one pastor's action makes me think the coworker sure is missing out on something great because of what he perceives to be a transgression.

That opens a whole can of worms: are Christians supposed to drink or not?? Jesus turned the water into wine, not soda pop or fruit juice... personally I've seen a very negative side of drinking and I simply don't like the taste of the stuff so I very very rarely have any kind of alcohol. But I also searched the Bible once for every reference to drinking and it never once says its forbidden: it consistently says 'don't do it in excess.' So I'll abide by that!

We Christians do have to deal with a lot of stereotyping, but if we are well grounded in Bible teaching at least we can be armed with a Biblical response to the accusations.

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 31-Mar-2006, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Sometimes we as Christians forget we are still human.
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
  Posted: 31-Mar-2006, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Sometimes we as Christians forget we are still human.
PMEmail Poster                
Celtic cat 
Posted: 01-Apr-2006, 10:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ 06-Mar-2006, 10:00 AM)
Let's All Go To Florida!!!!  cool.gif

You don't want to go to Florida. It is a chilly 70 degrees here right now.... wink.gif

Anyway, I don't immediately profess my faith, but if someone asks I will tell them. Faith usually comes up with college friends because we are all taking classes like world religions... which is an excellent open minded course at my school. I was trying to minister to my mother and a friend for a time, but I just can't anymore. I have made my peace and they have the right to full heartedly believe what they want to believe as long as they truely believe it and they aren't just doing it for kicks. We as Christians believe we hold the absolute truth on many aspects of faith but so do many other religions who are even more steadfast in holding to their beliefs. So I ask myself, how is it any different from someone in another religion telling us that we are wrong and that they have the absolute truth to salvation. Oh wait one more thing...I do get stereotyped but it is only when I ask people not to get drunk or not to do hash in a vehicle. my 2 pence

if we all give some more 2 pence we are going to have alot of money.

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]