maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 06-Feb-2005, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

The current President of Ireland is Mary Mc Aleese, who was innagurated as the 8th President of Ireland on November 11, 1997. She is a barrister and former Professor of Law. She is the first President to come from Northern Ireland. She is married since 1976 to Dr. Martin Mc Aleese and they have 3 children.

The oldest of nine children, President Mc Aleese grew up in northern Ireland through the violent times as known as 'The Troubles.' Her family was adversely affected by the conflict. She graduated in Law from the Queen's University of Belfast in 1973 and was called to the Northern Ireland Bar in 1974. In 1975 she was appointed Reid Professor of Criminal Law, Criminology and Penology at Trinity College Dublin and in 1997, she returned to her Alma Mater, Queen's to become Director of the Institute of Professional Legal Studies. In 1994 she became the first female Pro-Vice Chancellor of the Queen's University of Belfast.

The theme of her Presidency is 'Building Bridges.'

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
celtic from cali 
Posted: 09-Feb-2005, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Dear Maggiemahonne, thank you for sharing this. I am in Southern California usa and I really appreciate the knowledge you've spread about this great country of my ancestors because I want to understand the land and all of it's variants more. most wouldn't post mini history lessons. I've found in this sight people of celtic culture share it's history all the time and it helps me to connect. An interesting bit to share on myself my great grandpappy was from Ireland, came here and fought in the war and when he returned home he died from mustard gas poisoning from the trenches. God bless him. On a lighter note did any of you eat your potatoes today? haha I did 2 times!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 12-Feb-2005, 09:29 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Thanks celtic from cali, I appreciate your kind words. I think it's important to know what's going on today in Ireland as well as what went on years ago. Yes, I did eat potatoes today, mashed with butter and cream, and they were yummy. biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Siarls 
Posted: 29-Jul-2005, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

I know this is a really really late response, but I love Mary McAleese. I think she's a great president that could teach the USA many a thing of the Equal Rights of Men. I was overjoyed when she earlier this summer met our beloved Queen, and I look forward to Her Majesty's first state visit to the Republic of Ireland.

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gaelicgirl2 
Posted: 07-Feb-2006, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

I was thrilled to have the opportunity to hear Mary Mc Aleese speak last August at
Irish Fest in Milwaukee. She was very well spoken and made the point during her speech that the link between the US and Ireland is stronger than ever. With the Irish coming full force into the 21st century and the US adding to the growing work force especially in technical areas. The audience all had a good laugh when she referred to being at the fest as "craic". She caught herself though quickly saying
"I mean the good kind not the drug" even the secret service guys providing security made a smirk. Every now and then I catch "Out of Ireland" on the local PBS station so I can see what is happening.

If you're interested check out the Irish Fest website the picture
was too large to post.

http://www.irishfest.com/learnaboutus/photopage.htm

--------------------
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 08-Feb-2006, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

I concurr with gaelicgirl2...Pres. Mc Aleese's speech at Irish Fest in Milwaukee was the most wonderful address I've heard. We were fairly close to the stage and she was very humbled to be addressing such a crowd from what I could discern from her face. She even got a little teary eyed when presented a "friendship" quit that was made by some of the kids in the Irish Fest Summer School.

I only wish more of the worlds leaders were as interesting. Maggie you are truely blessed to call her your President. There are several of us here in the states that are jealous we can't have her ourselves.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]