Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Glasgow's economy 'doing badly'
BBC Scotland
6 October 2010

The report claims Glasgow's previous economic lead has "disappeared" The economy of Scotland's largest city is "doing badly" and is being held back by ineffective public sector leadership, its has been claimed. A new report by economic consultant Tony Mackay states that "Glasgow now has the highest rate of unemployment" of any Scottish local authority area.

It also accuses the city council of "glossing over" problems. Glasgow City Council rejected the claim and said it had played an important role in developing a diverse economy. The report said the claimant count rate of unemployment in the city was "currently 6.4%" while the wider rate - which includes the economically inactive - was "a massive 11.6%".

It states: "Those are very depressing statistics. The number of people unemployed in the city has increased by 8.5% over the last twelve months, compared with just 2.3% in Scotland as a whole. The implication is that the Glasgow economy is currently doing badly and there is plenty of other evidence to support that conclusion."

The report said that five years ago, Glasgow's economic growth rate was "significantly above the Scottish average" but this advantage had "disappeared in recent years". It also highlights ineffective leadership in the public sector as one of the reasons for this decline.

"Unfortunately, both Glasgow City Council and Scottish Enterprise have gained reputations for glossing over the city's economic problems and "sticking their heads in the sand" like ostriches," the report said.

"There are many positive features to the Glasgow economy but the lack of reality and objectivity shown by these public sector bodies casts serious doubt on the effectiveness of public expenditure in the city, particularly some of the 'flagship' projects."

See full story at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glas...w-west-11486383
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 11-Oct-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hostage Linda was just seconds from freedom

The Herald - Scotland
Monday, 11 October 2010
CHRIS WATT and CAROLYN CHURCHILL

Scottish aid worker Linda Norgrove was seconds away from being rescued when her kidnappers detonated a bomb vest which killed her, it has emerged. Ms Norgrove is believed to have been alive when US special forces reached her in the eastern province of Kunar in Afghanistan, but she was killed by her captors before she could be led to safety.

It is understood that Ms Norgrove, 36, was either wearing the bomb vest or it was being held close to her when the explosive was set off by one of her kidnappers. Nato sources last night said the explosion occurred seconds before the troops reached her. Details of her death have now been confirmed to her parents John and Lorna, who spent yesterday in mourning at their home on the Isle of Lewis, supported by their younger daughter Sofie, who had travelled from her home on the mainland to join them.

The traditionally reserved atmosphere of the Sabbath in the Outer Hebrides took on a more sombre tone than usual as prayers were said and church-goers remembered Ms Norgrove.

www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/hostage-linda-was-just-seconds-from-freedom-1.1060694
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 15-Oct-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

All eyes on Perthshire for Rally of Scotland
Perthshire Advertiser
Friday Oct 15 2010
by Johnathon Menzies

MOTORSPORT star Alister McRae will be among the racers revving-up at the Rally of Scotland start-line in Perthshire tonight. McRae (39), from Lanark, who is the younger brother of the late Colin McRae, will be joined at Scone Palace by newly-crowned Scottish and British champions, David Bogie and Keith Cronin.

Finnish star Juho Hanninen, favourite to become the Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC) champion at the end of the hotly-contested 12-race series, will also feature in a strong field.

The showpiece gets underway with two floodlit runs through the grounds of the picturesque parkland on the outskirts of Perth city centre from approximately 8pm this evening, before moving into the forests of the Big County and beyond over the subsequent 48 hours. A total of six high-octane stages will be held over sites in the Craigvinean, Drummond Hill and Errochty woodlands – near Dunkeld, Fortingall and Calvine respectively.

Competitors will then move through Stirlingshire before the winner is crowned at a ceremonial finish at Stirling Castle, the climax of the three-day extravaganza.

Proton team member McRae said: “I haven’t competed in front of the Scottish fans since last year’s rally, so it’s obviously going to be very special for me. It’s a massive sporting event for the whole country to come and enjoy, with a fantastic backdrop, great access for the public and some of the most demanding stages any rally driver will face. It’s going to be an awesome spectacle. I know most of the stages well from my earlier career which could be an advantage, particularly if we get a bit of drizzle – which is always a possibility at this time of year.”

Organisers have said that last year’s inaugural edition, which was beamed across the globe on satellite television, generated £1.2 million for the Scottish economy. Councillor John Kellas, convener of the local authority’s enterprise and infrastructure committee, said the rally will once again bring “huge benefits” to the region.

“Staging events like this is part of a conscious strategy to try to maintain a high profile for Perth and Kinross on the world stage, even in the tough economic times we now find ourselves in,” Cllr Kellas said. “The Rally of Scotland provides a huge boost to our tourism sector. It gets extensive courage on television and is a great showcase for the entire area.”

The event, presided over by the Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association, is the penultimate round of the high-profile IRC calendar. The championship will conclude after its 12th installment, to be held in Cyprus early next month.

Clerk of the course Iain Campbell praised the condition of the 800km weekend stages, but admitted preparations could have been thrown into chaos. He explained: “There was some concern that we might have to revise the opening stage in the grounds of Scone Palace after an historic 16th Century arch was recently destroyed by a contractor’s van. But I’m delighted we’ve been given clearance to run the section as originally planned.”

Spectators will be given the chance to donate to the Colin McRae Vision charity throughout the weekend.

A series of spin-off events and activities are also planned, including Perth-based car dealership Western Saab showcasing a limited edition Saab 9-3 Aero Carlsson at the start. The model bears the name of Scandinavian legend Erik Carlsson, who won the RAC British Rally in the Swedish vehicle 50 years ago.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 15-Oct-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

'Dirty protest' 72-year-old faces jail time
Oct 15 2010
by Greg Christison
Perthshire Advertiser Friday

A PENSIONER guilty of staging a filthy campaign against Perth and Kinross Council is facing a “holiday-like” jail term after vowing not to pay a recent fine. Peter Roy (72), who lives in a caravan at Madderty’s Craigmuir Farm, was warned earlier this week that he would face a 28-day prison sentence if he refused to stump up an outstanding £900 penalty.

Perth Sheriff Court was told that the pig farmer has not paid a single penny towards the fine, which was ordered in May after Mr Roy breached an Anti Social Behaviour Order. The ruling, which banned him from depositing containers of human waste by the roadside as part of a “dirty protest”, was infringed twice in September 2008 and again in February last year.

However according to Mr Roy, Sheriff Lindsay Foulis – who said that the fine could be paid in installments of £7 per fortnight – should have consulted a social worker in regard to his wife Catherine’s condition before making his decision.

“I think it is terrible,” he said yesterday. “There should have been a social worker there because I am the only registered carer for my wife. I phoned up the court this morning and was told that I am not allowed to appeal. They have just brushed it aside. I am not going to pay it. By the time I pay the bills, I have barely any of my pension left. There’s no way I can pay this fine. I don’t have £7 left and my bank has been emptied. I am prepared to go to jail, I’ve been before and it is like a Butlin’s holiday camp anyway.

“But if the police come and lift me, they will have to put another full-time carer here with my wife.”

The protest against PKC, which has led to several court appearances for Mr Roy over the past seven years, began in 1999 after the couple’s eviction from their Bairds View home in the village.

A court official yesterday confirmed that a query regarding the fine had been received and that it was being looked into.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 27-Oct-2010, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Kinloss axed... and maybe only weeks to save Lossie
By Chris Saunderson
Published: 22 October, 2010

SAVAGE defence cuts which this week signalled the end for RAF Kinloss as an air base and have left the future of RAF Lossiemouth in the balance, were a "bolt from the blue" for stunned service and civilian personnel in Moray.

The axe fell on RAF Kinloss after Prime Minister David Cameron scrapped the Nimrod MRA4 replacement programme. And a reduction in the Tornado fighter force has placed a huge question-mark over the future of RAF Lossiemouth. The Moray Task Force fighting to save it may just have weeks in which to try and win a reprieve.

Between them the bases support over 5,700 jobs and pump £160 million into the local economy each year. There is speculation that RAF Kinloss could be used to house returning Army units from Germany but its 71-year history as an air station will cease.

One RAF Kinloss serviceman admitted he and colleagues felt "absolutely gutted" by the decision which had effectively closed their base...

Community leaders and local business figures have described the bombshell as a devastating blow to the area which could rip the heart out of local communities.

The Nimrod airman, who could not be named, told 'The Scot' that families had been plunged into uncertainty overnight. "Many personnel at Kinloss are embedded in the community and treat Moray not just as a place of work but their home. I don't want to move my wife and family away from the area," he said. "I feel hugely disappointed both professionally and personally by the decision." ...

The Prime Minister said the Nimrod replacement programme had already cost £3.6 billion, was eight years late, the price for each plane had increased by 200% and the number of aircraft ordered reduced from 21 to nine, prompting the decision to cancel the contract. However, the airman said having already spent billions on the new aircraft, there was little to be saved from scrapping the project and closing the base.

"The loss of the capability given by the new Nimrod for anti-submarine warfare, overland intelligence and the most important role of search and rescue is worrying to say the least. It is difficult to understand why the Nimrod has been cut." He said there was no other aircraft in the RAF which could provide the same capability in the UK....

"It was not a great surprise. They (Government) have been telling us for years that the Nimrod MRA4 was safe but more and more people were reading between the lines. Leading up to the closure of RAF Kinloss we were fed a lot of misinformation," he added, "and I am concered that that does not happen with RAF Lossiemouth."

Moray MSP Richard Lochhead accused the Prime Minister of stabbing the service personnel and Moray in the back. "David Cameron has inflicted so much damage on so many families and the local community and we now face a call to arms with RAF Lossiemouth fighting for its future," he declared.

In the wake of the UK defence review, a public-private sector Moray Task Force has immediately launched a campaign to save RAF Lossiemouth....
"Not only are there strong strategic defence reasons to retain Tornados at Lossiemouth," he said, "the economic, social and political case for retaining the base is overwhelming. ... An emergency summit meeting in Elgin, called by the Moray Task Force on Wednesday, unveiled a cross-party, public-private sector campaign to retain RAF Lossiemouth....

"We must be confident that there is still a possibility of saving RAF Lossiemouth."
PMEmail Poster                
Rhymer 
Posted: 28-Oct-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Kilsyth, Scotland

male

This is typical of Conservative thinking...they dont.They cant think things through aka the raiway closures in the sixties. it is also funny that they are looking for fairness in thses cuts. Once again it is the ordinary people that face the heaviest waves. Yes Lossiemouth must be saved I vote for that without a shadow of doubt. It is also very strange that all thses adverse descisons will lead to more voters seeking independance, I thought the Tories were for the union, makes one think!

--------------------
"We are the last people on earth, the last to be free": Calgacus
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
englishmix 
Posted: 28-Oct-2010, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Queens thumped by Falkirk
Dumfries Standard
Wednesday Oct 27 2010
Kieran Westbrook

QUEENS suffered their heaviest defeat in four years as Falkirk thrashed them 5-1 at Palmerston Park. Five different scorers fired home for the ex-SPL side, with young winger Ryan Flynn involved in each of them.

Derek Holmes was out injured and replacing him up front was ex-Dundee striker Colin McMenamin as a trialist. He teamed up with David Weatherston in attack, but it was to be Falkirk’s forwards who deservedly grabbed the goals – and the headlines.

It didn’t look like being Queens’ day right from the start, with Falkirk taking the lead after just four minutes. Carl Finnegan opened the scoring, beating Bob Harris in the air and heading home from the Flynn cross. Queens had looked sluggish in the opening minutes, but sprang into life after going behind.

A low cross from McMenamin found Weatherston with his back to goal. He laid off Rocco Quinn whose first-time strike was blocked and sent wide for a corner kick. David Lilley connected with Bob Harris’ set piece, but failed to convert the good chance to level the match.

Quinn was again on the offensive after collecting a pass from Allan Johnston, but his strike was well held by Falkirk keeper Robert Olejnik. Weatherston was cynically scythed down by Brian McLean on the edge of the box – a challenge that could well have seen him sent off. But whistler Charlie Richmond preferred the colour yellow.

Queens enjoyed most of the possession and created the better chances in the first half, and would have been disappointed to go into half time behind. And they made the perfect start to the second half, scoring after four minutes.

Paul Burns took the ball past three players before shrugging off Brian McLean’s challenge and smashing the ball into the top corner with a great left-foot drive. It was no less than Queens deserved and the stage was set for a fantastic comeback.

But Falkirk had no intention of following that script. The Bairns’ second half goal glut started only three minutes after Burns’ strike. Jason Marr connected with another fine Flynn cross from the left, giving Falkirk the lead.

And this time they had no interest in giving it away again, with Finnigan adding another in the 74th minute. Sub Kenny Deuchar ended the game as a contest, chesting down a Flynn cross and bulleting the ball past David Hutton on 84 minutes before Marc Twaddle’s 25-yard free kick sailed into the net – emptying the stands of Queens fans.

The Doonhamers last suffered such a demolishing back in November 2006, when Gretna stuffed them 5-0. Four of the five goals Queens conceded had all come from the same side of the pitch, and Queens boss Kenny Brannigan was unhappy with how a number of players performed. He said: “I thought we could come and do something, but I just don’t know what goes on with defenders sometimes. They have to step up to the mark and do the right things and they never did it, especially second half. I was only asking them to defend – simple basic defending. I’m not happy with them at all. Today was a prime example of what happens when you lose Holmes. There was no-one there to hold the ball up the park for us. He was a massive miss today. But it was terrible defending which cost us the game.”

The defeat moves Queens down to fifth, with cash-strapped Dundee overtaking them.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 28-Oct-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Sickness bug hits Infirmary
Dumfries Standard
Wednesday Oct 27 2010
Julie Watt

A HIGHLY contagious stomach bug outbreak has sparked emergency measures at Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary. Several cases of vomiting and diarrhoea caused by Norovirus, which is more commonly known as the winter vomiting bug, were found at ward 12 at DGRI.

The ward, which treats medical, skin and stroke patients, has been closed to new admissions since Thursday. Health chiefs confirmed eight patients had been affected by the virus which causes uncontrollable sickness and diarrhoea and can leave patients feeling feverish. Only two patients continue to display symptoms, along with a member of staff.

Infection control doctor Martin Conner told the Standard: “Norovirus is particularly prevalent during the winter and it’s not unusual to see this type of infection in the community and also in healthcare settings. The first case was identified on Thursday and the latest case was identified today (Tuesday). Norovirus is extremely difficult to control which is why we have closed the ward to allow the virus to effectively burn out.”

The infection control team will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and strict infection control measures are in place. Dr Conner said: “Patients usually show symptoms for around three days but the virus is highly contagious which is why it spreads to other patients so quickly. We would expect the ward to remain closed for around nine days after the first case was identified.”

Health chiefs were forced to close several hospital wards and five care homes in January when the virus swept across the region infecting hundreds of people. But Dr Conner insists the latest outbreak is under control. He added: “The situation is relatively low key when compared to earlier in the year when around six or seven wards were closed due to Norovirus. General Practitioners are identifying more cases in the community which will undoubtedly have a knock-on effect at DGRI.”

Visitors who have experienced any symptoms of diarrhoea or vomiting within the last 48 hours are asked to stay away from the hospital. Dr Conner added: “It is important to remember that this virus is extremely common in the wider community and therefore we would like to remind hospital visitors of the importance of hand hygiene when entering and leaving hospital premises.”
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 28-Oct-2010, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

The continuing saga of the results of socialism...

Arts group faces 70 per cent funding cut
Dumfries Standard
Wednesday Oct 27 2010
Craig Robertson

A CASH crisis is facing the region’s leading arts organisation. A massive 70 per cent budget reduction will strip Dumfries and Galloway Arts Association (DG Arts) of funding for a series of major projects and could force job cuts, the Standard can reveal.

A council director has now cast doubts on the body’s future viability. And the association’s director, Susan Garnsworthy, yesterday admitted: “I’m worried sick.” She said the Scottish Government decision to scrap their main backer, The Scottish Arts Council (SAC), has meant a £200,000-a-year funding commitment has gone. And the arts council’s replacement body, Creative Scotland, has not made a similar committment.

Ms Garnsworthy told the Standard: The Scottish Arts Council provided us with 70 per cent of our core funding; that has gone. I am meeting with our board of directors on November 22 to set out a range of scenarios of what might happen. We currently employ 11 staff but some of them might have to be cut.”
She added: “It is £200,000 of core funding that we are not going to get.

Proposals

“I hope that we might get some of that funding and I will be putting proposals to the board on how we would manage without that core funding and how we would manage with 20 or 30 per cent of it. “A 70 per cent cut is quite killing.” [Do ya think?]

As well as a series of community art schemes and festivals, DG Arts – which was behind the recent Burns Light festival – is also involved with major schemes such as the Gretna Landmark development, a healing project with the NHS and the Galloway Dark Skies project. Ms Garnsworthy said: “The hope is that Creative Scotland could provide some funding, tapering off, which could be for major projects. I am worried sick.”

Dumfries and Galloway Council met with representatives of Creative Scotland yesterday afternoon to discuss the future for funding to the arts in the region. The council has so far committed £90,000 of its own cash to the arts association for next year but it goes nowhere near the amount needed to fund all of their planned projects.

“We are going through challenging times; we don’t yet know what their overall funding structure will be.” ...

In April 2008, the council bailed out the arts association to the tune of £200,000 to help it avoid bankruptcy. It emerged there had been serious mistakes in accounts which saw income credited to the wrong financial years. This led DGAA to believe it was in surplus and it overspent.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 04-Nov-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

People of Moray respond to battle cry
The Northern Star
By Chris Saunderson
29 October, 2010

THE fight in Moray and across Scotland to save RAF Lossiemouth from closure is gathering momentum. A Save RAF Lossiemouth Action Group has been formed in the town to spearhead the community campaign. It hopes thousands of people from all over Moray will march through the town on Sunday, November 7 in support of the base.

First Minister Alex Salmond has already confirmed he will join local campaigners. Scots Conservative party leader Annabel Goldie, Liberal Democrat leader Tavish Scott and Labour chief Iain Gray will also stand shoulder to shoulder with marchers. 'The Northern Scot' this week launched a people's petition calling on Prime Minister David Cameron to save RAF Lossiemouth.

A Facebook Internet campaign spearheaded by an RAF wife has attracted worldwide support from almost 10,000 people. And a community website - www.savelossie.org - has been created to galvanize support and motivate campaigners. The community campaign will be bankrolled by a fighting fund established by Moray Chamber of Commerce with donations from local businesses, and it already stands at £17,500.

The public-private sector Moray Task Force fighting to save the base and secure UK Government investment to cushion the blow from the inevitable closure of RAF Kinloss had a high-level meeting with Scottish Government ministers in Edinburgh on Tuesday. The task force is due to meet again in Elgin today (Friday) to finalise a dossier detailing defence, economic and social arguments for retaining RAF Lossiemouth.

... "It is great news that all the Scottish political leaders are coming. That shows this is not just about RAF Lossiemouth or Moray, but it is also in the national interest." The First Minister said: "The march and rally in Lossiemouth on November 7 is an opportunity for the people of Moray to send a strong message to the UK Government and MoD that it is even more than the future of two RAF bases that is at stake - an entire community is on the line. The situation facing the bases in Moray is a national issue of national importance to Scotland. Moray is the most defence dependent community in the UK and the loss of both RAF bases would be catastrophic."" ... The Scottish Government insists a convincing case can be made for the Tornadoes to remain at Lossiemouth....

The Labour MSP called for three measures to help the Moray economy:
1) Creation of Assisted Area Status;
2) relocation of civil service/public agency jobs to Moray;
3) additional structural funding for Moray from Europe.

THE PETITION:
http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/fullst...RAF_Lossie.html
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 04-Nov-2010, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Diligent digger changed face of Moray archaeology
The Northern Star
29 October, 2010

IAN Keillar, a well known local amateur archaeologist, has died aged 85. Born in Kinross in 1924, he attended Kinross Primary School and won a scholarship to Dollar Academy where he completed his secondary education. He joined the RAF in 1942 when he was 18 and was sent to various bases across the UK working on radio and night-landing equipment. After the war, he was sent to the Middle East and worked in Iraq, Dubai, Egypt and Palestine until he was eventually demobbed.

He then graduated from Heriot-Watt University in Electrical Engineering and joined Plessey who sent him to Kenya to install power lines, communication systems and substations. He considered emigrating but could not stand the racist attitude of the colonial elite.

He travelled to Norway and Spain before leaving Plessey and coming to Elgin to take up a role with the Hydro Board in 1964. However, it was his contribution as an amateur archaeologist that has added a tremendous amount to the knowledge of the archaeology of North East Scotland, especially to the Moray area. Mr Keillar dedicated his spare time and, after retiral, most of his time to the study of archaeology in the area.

He did this in selfless, modest, organised and scientific manner, which earned him the respect and admiration of both professionals and amateurs in this field. Through aerial survey, funded personally, he recognised the cropmarks which led to the important discovery of the Pictish Monastery at Portmahomack in Easter Ross. This site was excavated by Prof. Martin Carver and yielded much important information about early Christianity in Easter Ross.

He was also instrumental in the discovery of the equally important Iron Age site at Birnie which was excavated by Dr Fraser Hunter. During this excavation, two hoards of Roman coins were found, as well as other Roman artefacts, which proved that the Romans did indeed visit Moray.

Ian Keillar... a champion of local history.

This had been a long held belief of Ian's but one which he had difficulty in persuading many academics to accept.

In 1972, he was public relations officer for the Elgin Society (now the Moray Society) and fought the proposed relief road which was to be built through Elgin's historic heart. In this he was unsuccessful, but, at least, he ensured that rescue digs were carried out prior to the building of the road.

Mr Keillar had published many articles in prestigious scientific journals and books. He wrote a book - The Romans in Moray - The Evidence, and co-authored another with fellow amateur historian, Bill Bartlam entitled World War II in Moray.

He was a member of the Moray Society since 1967 and over a period of many years, served as public relations officer, vice president, president and curator of Elgin Museum. Probably his biggest honour was to be presented with the Dorothy Marshall medal by the Society of Antiquaries in Scotland. This medal is only presented every three years to an amateur archaeologist who has contributed much to the archaeology of Scotland. It is a very prestigious award and he was delighted to receive it in November, 2007.

At the time of his death on October 16, he had been nominated for an honour for services to Scottish archaeology but, unfortunately, died before this happened. With the passing of Ian Keillar, Moray and Scotland have lost a wonderful fund of knowledge about the history and archaeology of the area and he will be sorely missed by family, friends, neighbours and colleagues.

He is survived by his wife Kerstin, sons Harris and Peter, daughter Marie and seven grandchildren.
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 04-Nov-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Council gets sums wrong
The Northern Star
By Sarah Rollo
Published: 29 October, 2010

A SERIES of blunders by Moray Council has cast widespread confusion over just how much its budget options would save. Red-faced officials were forced to amend the administration's list of 131 saving options this week after a request for the financial breakdown of some of the proposals, made by 'The Northern Scot', highlighted the gaffe.

A spokesman for the authority confirmed gross figures, rather than net savings, were "inadvertently" used in the savings column for some of the potential cuts. The mistake was contained in a document made available to the public and distributed to local community groups in the run-up to public consultation over next year's budget cuts.

While a second incarnation of the online document rectified the error, it left the council's sums still not adding up. The authority said an updated introduction to the budget consultation gave the new overall lower and upper totals of between £4,907,000 and £10,926,000. However, an omission meant the total savings column in the detailed options summary was left unchanged.

Those numbers remained at between £5,155,000 and £11,165,000, which differed from earlier projections of between £5,213,000 and £11,233,000. A spokesman said the second omission would also be rectified.

Opposition group leaders and community representatives have rounded on the administration for confusing the public over the measures, which are designed to help plug a budget gap of at least £18 million over the next four years. Concern has also been raised that community groups, unaware of the changes, could be working to old numbers as they attempt to give the authority productive feedback on proposed cuts.

Aberlour Community Association's Hugh Fraser described the whole consultation as a shambles. "I'm not surprised at all that their figures are wrong because they really are absolutely incompetent. They are really needing someone in there to sort the whole thing out," he said...

Numbers for the closure of community centres, public halls, and libraries are among those which have now changed. Ms Macintosh said: "A lot of people are making their decisions and having discussions based on the information that they have already been given. Now, as far as I understand with consultation, we can't go in there saying blankly that we don't agree with some of the options. I believe it would be a lot more productive if we can offer suggestions by means of compromise. To do that, we need breakdowns and we need the numbers to be right. With the council's manpower, and eminently qualified people at their disposal, you would think this could not happen. It is not a simple error or a typing mistake - there are substantial differences in the figures," she said....

"As the SNP group leader, we will be doing everything in our power to ensure that the public do get the correct figures for making decisions on such crucial matters."
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 06-Nov-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Sicilian musician Pino Leto declares his love for Scotland
East Kilbride News
Nov 4 2010
Carla Callaghan

SICILIAN singer and musician, Pino Leto is taking Scotland by storm with his immensely popular gigs – and growing celebrity fan base. The singer moved from Sicily to Glasgow with his Scottish wife, Sharon and their son Sonny and settled in Cumbernauld.

Pino is so famous for his music throughout Italy that he gets stopped in the street there, and it would appear the talented musician is gaining more and more Scottish fans by the minute. The singer and dad-of-one has brought his array of songs to piano bars and restaurants all over Scotland which has proved very popular.

The 45-year-old even counts Simple Minds frontman Jim Kerr as a close friend. Supporting fellow Italian singer, Zucchero at his gig in Glasgow is one of Pino’s highlights of his career. He said: “I had the honour to support Zucchero, he is one of my favourite artists. I still couldn't believe it, even weeks after I did it - I talked to him and had dinner together which was fantastic, he is not a big diva - he is like one of the guys.”

Managing his 16-year-old son’s rock band Well Known Secret is also top of Pino’s priorities, but does admit he would love Sonny to follow in his footsteps: “It is a completely different genre for Sonny’s band - I would love for Sonny to do it, but I never push him into anything.”

Speaking about whether his fame in Scotland will reach the heights it has in Italy and Sicily, Pino said: “I am not under any illusion, if anything I will probably be more known at the piano bars - I am playing all over Scotland at the moment. They seem to like me, so that is good.”

Whilst on a trip to Sicily, Pino was introduced to Jim Kerr, who now resides there by a mutual friend. The pair are close companions and both are big fans of one another’s work. Speaking about Jim, Pino said: “I met Jim Kerr at his hotel in Sicily and we have become good friends, when I go back to Sicily I go and see him. He is a nice guy, another one who is not a diva. I would love to do something with Jim Kerr but I don't think I would be that lucky in my lifetime.”

Moving from sun-soaked Sicily to the rainy streets of Scotland would be hard for anyone, but Pino insists Scotland is his second home: “I love Scotland, the only thing I don't love about Scotland is the weather! I am like an adopted Glaswegian, I love Glasgow - it is my town now, I wouldn't change it for anything else.”

For tour dates and to hear Pino’s songs, please visit his MySpace page at www.myspace.com/pinoletomusic

PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 06-Nov-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Labour win EK West ward in by-election
Nov 3 2010
Andrea O'Neill,
East Kilbride News

LABOUR successfully defended the EK West ward at Thursday’s by-election when Alan Scott came out on top. The Calderwood dad-of-two polled 847 votes, giving him a majority of 276 over his nearest rival, Pat McGuire of the Scottish National Party.

It was a close contest for the SNP and the Conservatives, who were neck and neck throughout the night. Pat McGuire pulled in 571 votes to third placed Tory hopeful Ian Harrow’s 403 – a surprise surge in the vote share for the Tories.

Amid jubilant cheers from the strong Labour support at the count in St Kenneth’s Primary, Alan told the News: “I’m elated. As things go on to the latter count, you start to panic, and I took nothing for granted, so I’m absolutely elated.”
And, it was certainly a family affair with Alan’s wife Laura and daughters Heather, 12, and Eilidh, 8, by his side.

Analysis of 22 comparable by-election results saw a 2.2 per cent projected nationwide lead for Labour over the Tories.

Andy Kerr MSP was delighted with the result. He said: “This was a good result for Labour and I’m sure Alan will be a great addition to the team at South Lanarkshire Council. And, despite the poor turnout, it shows the Labour vote holds strong in East Kilbride.”

Losing candidates did not hide their dismay, and dejection, as the council’s returning officer Archie Strang revealed a mere 17 per cent of the electorate made it to the polls.

Pat McGuire said: [I]“The turnout was absolutely abysmal. If this is the reflection of how it’s going to go in the future, there has got to be something done. Our vote stood strongly throughout but I think we really need to find a way to get people out to vote. Either make voting compulsory or secure internet voting – there has to be a change.”[/I]

Conservative and Unionist candidate, Ian Harrow, blamed a lack of interest for the low polls but said their result was “worth the effort.” He said: “The turnout was awful. After a big election, I think people just aren’t interested – so in that sense it wasn’t a very good night.” EK West Tory councillor Graham Simpson was also despondent about the poor turnout, but took time to wish the new man well. Mr Simpson said: “I’m disappointed with the turnout overall; it was very poor. We all have to work harder to get voters interested. I’ve only just met Alan today but he seems a nice enough bloke and I’m happy to offer any help or advice so we can get the best for our constituents.”

Looking to the future, EK West’s new Labour councillor – who will serve Thorntonhall, Jackton, College Milton, Peel Park, Hairmyres, Gardenhall, Stewartfield and Mossneuk – along with Graham Simpson and the SNP’s David Watson – says he hopes his 20 years’ experience in local government will help bring a wealth of opportunity to the local community.

He said: “I want to make sure we’re getting the NHS into the area. We need a pharmacy and dental provision. I’m also right behind the new supermarket at Peel Park, with the 800 jobs it will bring to the area. I hope anyone who has an issue will come to me and I can do what they want or get in touch with who they want.”

The results for the first count were:

Alan Scott (Scottish Labour Party) – 847
Pat Mcguire (Scottish National Party) – 571
Ian Harrow (Scottish Conservative and Unionist) – 403
Raymond Burke (Scottish Green Party) – 82
Brian Jones (East Kilbride Alliance) – 71
Gordon Smith (Scottish Liberal Democrats) – 70

Damn...
PMEmail Poster                
englishmix 
Posted: 08-Nov-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Knights create merry hell at Drumlanrig medieval fayre
Jul 21 2010 by Sara Bain,
Dumfries & Galloway Standard

THE age of chivalry was found to be well and truly alive at Drumlanrig Castle on Sunday. Visitors to the 80,000-acre ducal seat near Thornhill were treated to a breath-taking display of fighting, medieval-style, during the estate’s Knights and Squires Medieval Fayre summer event.

The highlight of the day were the two displays by the Knights of the Damned. Brightly-coloured pennants snapped in the breeze as four fearsome armour-clad knights galloped onto the field, while the turf flew from the hooves of their equally caparisoned horses.

England’s best tilting champions pitted their skills against each other in a number of tasks set up on either side of the fence before the spectacular jousting began. The four knights showcased their martial strengths at the quintain before wowing the audience with their perfect horsemanship, plucking peasant heads from the ground from high up in the saddle and engaging in some deadly hand to hand combat.

In medieval times the tournament was a less than gentlemanly affair with peace-time knights squaring off on the field in a melée of bloodshed that would result in terrible wounds and often death. The joust itself would involve the warriors on horseback thundering towards each other on either side of a fence with the heavy lances raised at the last minute.

The object was to strike the other with the tip of the weapon and hit him. Points would be scored for unhorsing a rider or breaking a lance on his body or shield, and there were often huge sums of money involved (often from the losers’ ransoms).

Early lances were once sharpened at the point and the tourney was always a dangerous past-time with many men of honour losing their helmets and sometimes their heads against the powerful impact of an opponent's well-aimed weapon.

But Sunday’s tourney was a chivalrous affair, which did not involve so much as a flesh wound as Shropshire's talented stuntman and owner of the Knights of the Damned team, Justin Pearson (pictured right), pulled off a perfectly choreographed tourney to impress the crowds of adults and children who had come to the castle for the day.

When the knights were resting, visitors took the opportunity to amble about the castle grounds; browse the shops and attractions in the stableyard; or take a tour of the Duke of Buccleuch’s impressive 17th century castle. Frontline Falconry of Moffat provided some lunchtime entertainment with a spirited display by Geoff and three remarkable birds of prey that was enjoyed by children and adults alike.

Other events taking place this month at Drumlanrig will be a magical open air theatre performance of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice on Wednesday, July 28, at 5.30pm. Staged on the Oval Lawn in the shadow of the castle, this well-loved classic is performed by the highly regarded and established Illyria.

Further information from www.drumlanrig.com
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]