Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 17-Jul-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Frank McCourt the author of Angela Ashes, is not doing well. Friends of the celebrated Irish writer have been gathering at his bedside this past weekend to say their farewells. The author of is gravely ill in a Manhattan hospice watched over by his devoted wife Ellen and other family members. I read all of his books and met with his brother Malachy at Irishfest a couple years ago and can say that this will certainly be a loss for the Irish community the world over.
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Friends-g...y-farewell.html

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 17-Jul-2009, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

What sad news. I loved reading his book Angelas Ashes. That is a book that you can feel every emotion there is. How wonderful to have family that sticks with you until the end.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 19-Jul-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

"Scatter my ashes on the Shannon." That was the last request from Frank McCourt, the Pulitzer Prize winning author of “Angela’s Ashes."

McCourt died at a Manhattan hospice today surrounded by family and friends who had been keeping vigil with his wife Ellen over the past week.
McCourt had recently been treated for melanoma but became gravely ill with meningitis last week.
NIall O'Dowd, the publisher of IrishCentral.com said "The greatest tribute I can pay Frank McCourt is that he never lost the run of himself.

McCourt is survived by his second wife, Ellen Frey, daughter Margaret McCourt, granddaughter Chiara, grandsons Frank and Jack, and his brother Malachy.
In May 2009 a publicist for McCourt first confirmed to the press that he had cancer.
McCourt was being treated for melanoma, said his agent Molly Friedrich, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
Although the sad news was greeted with shock today in the Irish community, in May McCourt’s well-known brother Malachy initially sought to calm nerves by telling the press the reports were “exaggerated” and that his brother was “a hearty fellow and he’s survived worse than this.”
Full Story:
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Angelas-A...8-51144327.html
PMEmail Poster               
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 19-Jul-2009, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

I have not read any of his books but this is still sad news. It sounds like the world lost a wonderful author. It was nice that his family and friends were able to spend his last hours with him. That can be a very difficult time for the family.

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]