Dorkus Trollus Maximus

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE ('wicca.com')
Imbolc Lore
(February 2nd)

Imbolc, (pronounced "IM-bulk" or "EM-bowlk"), also called Oimealg, ("IM-mol'g), by the Druids, is the festival of the lactating sheep. It is derived from the Gaelic word "oimelc" which means "ewes milk". Herd animals have either given birth to the first offspring of the year or their wombs are swollen and the milk of life is flowing into their teats and udders. It is the time of Blessing of the seeds and consecration of agricultural tools. It marks the center point of the dark half of the year. It is the festival of the Maiden, for from this day to March 21st, it is her season to prepare for growth and renewal. Brighid's snake emerges from the womb of the Earth Mother to test the weather, (the origin of Ground Hog Day), and in many places the first Crocus flowers began to spring forth from the frozen earth.

The Maiden is honored, as the Bride, on this Sabbat. Straw Brideo'gas (corn dollies) are created from oat or wheat straw and placed in baskets with white flower bedding. Young girls then carry the Brideo'gas door to door, and gifts are bestowed upon the image from each household. Afterwards at the traditional feast, the older women make special acorn wands for the dollies to hold, and in the morning the ashes in the hearth are examined to see if the magic wands left marks as a good omen. Brighid's Crosses are fashioned from wheat stalks and exchanged as symbols of protection and prosperity in the coming year. Home hearth fires are put out and re-lit, and a besom is place by the front door to symbolize sweeping out the old and welcoming the new. Candles are lit and placed in each room of the house to honor the re-birth of the Sun.

Another traditional symbol of Imbolc is the plough. In some areas, this is the first day of ploughing in preparation of the first planting of crops. A decorated plough is dragged from door to door, with costumed children following asking for food, drinks, or money. Should they be refused, the household is paid back by having its front garden ploughed up. In other areas, the plough is decorated and then Whiskey, the "water of life" is poured over it. Pieces of cheese and bread are left by the plough and in the newly turned furrows as offerings to the nature spirits. It is considered taboo to cut or pick plants during this time.

Various other names for this Greater Sabbat are Imbolgc Brigantia (Caledonni), Imbolic (Celtic), Disting (Teutonic, Feb 14th), Lupercus (Strega), St. Bridget's Day (Christian), Candlemas, Candlelaria (Mexican), the Snowdrop Festival. The Festival of Lights, or the Feast of the Virgin. All Virgin and Maiden Goddesses are honored at this time.

Deities of Imbolc:
All Virgin/Maiden Goddesses, Brighid, Aradia, Athena, Inanna, Gaia, and Februa, and Gods of Love and Fertility, Aengus Og, Eros, and Februus.

Symbolism of Imbolc:
Purity, Growth and Re-Newal, The Re-Union of the Goddess and the God, Fertility, and dispensing of the old and making way for the new.

Symbols of Imbolc:
Brideo'gas, Besoms, White Flowers, Candle Wheels, Brighid's Crosses, Priapic Wands (acorn-tipped), and Ploughs.

Herbs of Imbolc:
Angelica, Basil, Bay Laurel, Blackberry, Celandine, Coltsfoot, Heather, Iris, Myrrh, Tansy, Violets, and all white or yellow flowers.

Foods of Imbolc:
Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, Poppyseed Cakes, muffins, scones, and breads, all dairy products, Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Raisins, Spiced Wines and Herbal Teas.

Incense of Imbolc:
Basil, Bay, Wisteria, Cinnamon, Violet, Vanilla, Myrrh.

Colors of Imbolc:
White, Pink, Red, Yellow, lt. Green, Brown.

Stones of Imbolc:
Amethyst, Bloodstone, Garnet, Ruby, Onyx, Turquoise.

Activities of Imbolc:
Candle Lighting, Stone Gatherings, Snow Hiking and Searching for Signs of Spring, Making of Brideo'gas and Bride's Beds, Making Priapic Wands, Decorating Ploughs, Feasting, and Bon Fires maybe lit.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 07-Jan-2004, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I am really excited about Imbolc this year. Some of my dearest friends (non pagan even!) and I are getting together to celebrate Imbolc. We will be burning the remains of a friend's Christmas Tree (Yule) to usher in the coming of spring. We will also be making candles.

Hopefully there will be a lot of snow on the ground, and we can use it to make candles the medieval way. (make a hole in the snow with a broom handle, place a wick in the middle, and pour in the wax. The cold of the snow hardens the wax. Viola, you have a candle!)
PMEmail Poster               
Jaxom 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 05:24 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Wales

male

We all know the traditions that are conected with Christmas. trees, turkey, stockings, Father Christmas etc.

Thank you for posting the ones to do with Imbolc.
they all help to put a clearer picture on this time of year.
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 24-Jan-2004, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

I was not aware of Imbolc.

But I kind of do something along this nature when I start the Maplesyrup fire. I like taking an old Christmas Wreath and Pine Cones to start the fire as a symbolism of Spring. And I do this in the middle of February.

To me, Maplesyrup is the sign for Spring.

We make a Mint Tea made from the Maple Sap, we go out and look for Salt and Peppers (one of the first wildflowers in the Spring) and eat Bread with Maplesyrup on it. We like watching for the Redwing Black Birds. These are all the Signs of Spring for me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 12:21 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

On top of what I had mentioned before is that I do observe Ground Hog Day . For those who do not know, it is to be the indicator of how soon Spring will be here and it is on February 2nd of every year, just ask any Pennsylvanian. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Jaxom 
Posted: 25-Jan-2004, 04:09 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Wales

male

Or watch the film for a fun first introduction to "Ground Hog Day". its a real hoot. how accurate it is in the traditions of Ground Hog Day I do not know. However it made me laugh.
Jax biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]