Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
243,879 Gold!

I have to have my daughter come on and read this thread. She is so much in love with horses, all she can talk about are horses! It has been a very nice weekend here in the Northeast ? been spending a lot of time with the kids so it has kept me away from the computers, which can?t be a bad thing! My email is really backed up so if anyone sent me an email, I will get back to you. ? probably quicker to send me a message through the board because I try to check that every few days.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 10-Jun-2002, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

You're daughter is welcome anytime!

I think Sidesaddle is the more elegant way to ride for women.

Perhaps I should learn it? (I didn't like it then but when I'm doing that more often?)
I plan to own a shire horse one day. Why not educate it in sidesaddle also? But that needs a willing horse that follows the slightest signals.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 10-Jun-2002, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I've never rode side saddle, I believe I would feel uncomfortable,  I believe you have better control of your horse riding straddle.  Just my opionion!

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Cabbagehome 
Posted: 11-Jun-2002, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

I took Thea to talk to a side saddle teacher. She said that untrained people will set a side saddle where a straddle saddle would sit, that is too far forward, and tips the person; making her fight to stay up there.  The first side saddle was made in the 1400's for an English Queen who had a hip problem that prevented her from ridding straddle.  With the 2 prongs, a rider can lock her legs in an emergency, and it would be impossable to throw her of if the saddle stayed on. The first western side saddle was made for cornal Goodnight's wife, so she could go on the trail drives. Yes, Thea will get one, I sure would like a pattern for one. That would test my leatherworking skills.  I could tool in roses and celtic knots.
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 11-Jun-2002, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

:-0 Ok Macfive let me give it to you strait. WE NEVER GET OVER HORSES!  We may servive till we grow up, and find a way to get our own, and resent the fact that our father bought the boys a motor scooter, then a cycle.  It is hard to share a thrill for the boy's motor toys, when they won't let you ride it, and you long for a horse of your own; even if you have friends with access to a horse.  My husband doesn't understand, but my baby brother does. He owns a couple of quarters out in Arizona. He brought a friend's horses into town, when my son was 3 months old; said it was time for him to have his first ride. We had a great day.
:p We have changed summer on it's way to All things Horsey. :D
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 11-Jun-2002, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

It's not too hard to like motorcycles and scooters even when you like horses.
I love riding Horses but I also like riding my scooter.

But it is true, you'll never get over horses. I still like to imagine I'm doing a horserace when I'm cycling :D
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 12-Jun-2002, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
243,879 Gold!

Yes, my daughter is definitely one of those horsey people. She considers cleaning stalls fun, just because it gets her closer to the horses. We have thought about leasing a horse or even selling out our over-rated house in the burbs and moving to some place where we could have a small barn, a field and on a more quiet life – but that is a good few years away!

I don't mind at all the topic changing. Hey its summertime! :)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 12-Jun-2002, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

I have always lived in the country, and I love it.  I don't mind going to visit in the city, but I'm always anxious to get back home. My family and I lived on a farm for about 4 years and it was a great experience for my girls.  We had cows, chickens, dogs and cats.  We had to move, due to my husbands health.  We still have enough land to keep a horse with plenty of pasture for her.  She is one pampered horse.  Yesterday she got a bath and was groomed from head to toe.  She is looking quite spiffy.  Of course, today it's raining and I'm expecting her to roll in the mud at anytime.  

maggiemahone1
Cabbagehome 
Posted: 12-Jun-2002, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

Aon you are lucky you can ride a scooter and horses. My dad and brothers would not teach me to ride the scooter, or drive a car. I took drivers ed twice and my father wouldn't let me have the licens.  I was married before I got a driving licens. Womens lib has made a world of difference in 2 generations.
We lived in town in the middle of cattle ranching country, we knew lots of people with ranches in the family. Getting to ride a horse was no problem, if we could get out to someone ranch.  Then all we had to do was go out and catch one from the rumunda, we never bothered with the time it took to put on a saddle.  Of course, when we went to the reservation, the ponys wouldn't take a saddle.
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 13-Jun-2002, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

http://www.celtichearts.com/maggiemahone1/image03.jpg

Here is a picture that was taken yesterday of my horsie. (Maggie)
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 17-Jun-2002, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

female

I have been waiting patiently for the past 4 days for summer to come back to the hills of WV.  It has been downright cool, low 50's and high about 65.  Today is supposedly to be warmer.  We had temps high in the 90's week before last, it's like going from summer back into spring.  

Yesterday was a big day for my horse, Maggie. She had a midday rendezvous with a stud, a Tennesee Walker :B and come back home with a twinkle in her eye :o)( and a spring in her step. ::sigh Hopefully if everything went right, she will be presenting us with a colt or filly sometime around the 24th of May, 2003.

maggiemahone1
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 17-Jun-2002, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

:D That is great! You hoping for a filly? My  grand daughter Gwen is sure Moca Fudge is going to have a filly on her birthday in Febuary. She even knows what she will look like white with black spots, and her name will be Pepper Flower.
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 05-Jul-2002, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Dancing Horse
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Massachusetts

female

I ride horses all the time. I may even be leasing one this summer! I ride a Roan colored Draft cross named Strawberry He can get out of hand sometimes. Once when Strawberry and I were about to go over the 2ft jump , he noticed that I was having fun so he decided to go into a gallop to make it more fun , and he knocked over the jump and I fell off him!  ::confused . But strawberry is a great horse! Whenever I come into the barn he makes a whinnie and comes right to the door to greet me!

--------------------
Vicky MacArthur
I Am a Scottish Dancer and I am proud of my heritage

Horses and dogs are not my whole life....But they make my life whole!
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 05-Jul-2002, 09:58 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

That is what my Mitsoo used to make. I really loved her.

Once we went out and I decided to gallop over an empty field. Alas she took her bit (right word??) between her teeth and wouldn't react on my signals with the legs also.. in a sharp corner she threw me off then... and I never let go of her reins so she dragged me behind her for some time. But suddenly she stopped and looked at me with her big, brown, innocent eyes and I really hated her for that...
My arms and legs were bruised and scratched open and my body was one pain... :) it's about 4 years ago now. She died last winter...
PMEmail Poster               
Highland Lassie 
Posted: 05-Jul-2002, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Dancing Horse
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Massachusetts

female

Sorry about your horse aon donna. I used to ride a quarter horse buckskin. beutiful horse , and she was about 30 yrs old. quite old and she had tons of energy. used to go into a canter all by herslef. Then they found she had a heart murmur.  She got colic and she was to old to fight it. So they put her to sleep.  Once strawberry , on wendsday. layed down in the field and started rolling. I thought he just had a itch because all horses roll outside. But then he just layed their on his side. So i was going up to get the owner of the barn and i turn around to look at him and he got up and galloped off in the distance. Funny horse!:O
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]