gallesjrrt 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

Hello one and all. I'm a new member who found her way here via the Clann an Drumma forums. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and, of course, to listening to lots of wonderful Celtic music!

I'm co-moderator and co-founder (with 11 other people!) of a Lord of the Rings website (though, truth to tell, I've been something of an absentee moderator lately - home computer crashed and I'm limited to stolen moments at work!). Needless to say, I'm interested in all things Tolkien, having first read the trilogy back in 1968. I came to the Hobbit later, and found it wanting. A few years ago, though, I read the books in sequence, and the Hobbit "read" better this time. Something to do with the style being simple, and building from there to the more complicated Lord of the Rings, I suppose.

My maternal grandparents were both born in Scotland. They came over separately, and separately settled in an area with a large concentration of Scots, so they never lost their 'accents'. I can remember spending sunny summer Sundays at the bowling green watching the lawn bowling, and having high tea! I've visited Scotland twice: once with an aunt and a sister; the second time with a friend (had to translate for her! rolleyes.gif ).

Another passion of mine is cross-stitch. I'm working on two series of round-robin samplers now (each person starts a sampler and then passes it around the circle - everyone ends up with a sampler that has been stitched on by everyone in the group). One of these is from the Tokien forum and has Tolkien-ish themes.

I've dabbled with writing stories and poems, but nothing recently.

Anyway, I'm glad that I found this place (and that I see a few familiar names!).

--------------------
user posted image Just a wee deoch an dorris user posted image
"Not all who wander are lost"

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 07:56 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi gallesjrrt, seems I recognize your name..I am so glad you found us here at Celtic Radio. I hope you enjoy the music as well as the forum. The people here are very nice and friendly..

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Madadh 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Welcome gallesjrrt to the house that Mac built. It is a great place full of fine music, with interesting and friendly people, having an abundance of places to converse on a wide range of topics. If you get half the enjoyment out of this place that the rest of have you should truely enjoy yourself.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

Thanks rindy (I "know" you from Clann an Drumma wink.gif ) and Madadh. I'm really looking forward to being able to spend more time here!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Hi! It's very warming how close you are to your scots heritage, and how you are celebrating it. You're a very lucky person, and also wise.
(And the avatar is great. smile.gif My favorite LotR character, besides Gandalf.)
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

Thanks, stormeil! I have to admit that I was sort of luke-warm to Theoden until the last movie, but I went to a "thing" at Lincoln Center in January of 2004 where Peter Jackson was supposed to be interviewed. He was still working on the extended DVD of Return of the King, so he did a satellite feed. In the meantime, Bernard Hill, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, and Elijah Wood were on stage, too. When they temporarily lost the satellite feed, the others, particularly Bernard Hill, started telling about the practical jokes that were played back and forth on the sets. Every woman in my row immediately fell in love with Bernard Hill wink.gif

As to my Scottish heritage, I've had to do a lot of searching on my own for traditions and such. When my grandparents started raising their family, they wanted the kids to be "American" and stopped following Scottish customs sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (gallesjrrt @ 27-Oct-2005, 12:56 PM)
In the meantime, Bernard Hill, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, and Elijah Wood were on stage, too.  When they temporarily lost the satellite feed, the others, particularly Bernard Hill, started telling about the practical jokes that were played back and forth on the sets.  Every woman in my row immediately fell in love with Bernard Hill wink.gif

As to my Scottish heritage, I've had to do a lot of searching on my own for traditions and such.  When my grandparents started raising their family, they wanted the kids to be "American" and stopped following Scottish customs sad.gif

Heh heh, yeah. He's got that man of a certain age aura, no doubt about it. And he can really ride a horse! I would have loved to have seen that.

I know what you mean about that "lose the markers, we're Americans now." There's a lot lost to many of our generation (you and I are the same age, wonder to tell! smile.gif ) that we have to work to get back, and then work even harder to pass on. But it is so very worth it, and I think it is one of those rare things that is its own inner reward, no matter what else you do with it.

Do you get to New York often? (and a link to your Tolkien website?)
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

I so agree about working hard to get it back and pass it on! I spent about 4 weekends trying out various combinations to recreate my grandmother's current squares and finally came up with something close! Baked them for every holiday for a year or two and then lost the recipe in a move (without having passed it on! sad.gif )

If you mean NYC, I don't get in very often. I have family (on my father's side) in the Horseheads/Elmira area. I've been wanting to get in to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a while now (just have to find time!) to see the Egyptian Collection. It's been several years, and I miss it! (Feels like an old friend)

The Tolkien website is www.writersofrohan.com. We (the founders) all met on another site, were involved in creative writing, and were calling ourselves shieldmaidens rolleyes.gif of Rohan. So, like puns, we ended up with ... If you visit over there, I'm Sairalinde.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (gallesjrrt @ 27-Oct-2005, 01:45 PM)
The Tolkien website is www.writersofrohan.com. We (the founders) all met on another site, were involved in creative writing, and were calling ourselves shieldmaidens rolleyes.gif of Rohan. So, like puns, we ended up with ...

I love it, and I'll make a point of visiting the site. I'm also PM ing you with contact nfo, if you do make it into New York (maybe over the holidays?) to visit the museum. Maybe I can catch up with you. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

As to being the same age ... it's SO nice not to be the oldest person on the site! I was on another Tolkien site, and it got, you should pardon the expression, "old" really fast! wink.gif

I've just answered your PM - hope to see you soonish!
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi gallesjrrt! (What an interesting screen name! I get the JRRT part, but what is galles?) Welcome to Celtic Radio! As you have already discovered, the people here are some of the nicest you'll find anywhere on the net. And the music is awesome too! I look forward to getting to know you better!

Have you read any C. S. Lewis? I just started his Narnia books, beginning with the Magician's Nephew, and I think they are excellent!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
myaleigh 
Posted: 28-Oct-2005, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Ye Ole Georgia

female

Hi gallesjrrt,

I'm also a newbie here so it's nice to see one of the first posts I read is from another LOTR fan. (Hi to stoirmeil as well.) I have to confess I fell in love with the series after watching Fellowship at the theatre. That night I went home, gathered as much information as I could then bought the books.

I wasn't too thrilled with Theoden in the Two Towers but in Return of the King... well I would have followed him into battle. tongue.gif Eowyn is my favourite character.

Be interested to visit your site... matter of fact have it bookmarked so I can visit soon as I type this.

biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 28-Oct-2005, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

Thanks, WizardofOwls, I'm already addicted to the site and the people! As to the galles - it's part of my first name and part of my middle name - figured that way I wouldn't forget it wink.gif

I read Narnia about 20 years ago and haven't, I'm ashamed to say, read it again since. I remember them being excellent books. I loaned my set to my nieces, who read them and watched the BBC series (also excellent!). I meant to re-read them when I got them back, but I got sidetracked! Maybe good holiday reading!

By the way, do you all know about The Gathering in Toronto July 1-4 (I think), 2006? It's the second "gathering" of people addicted to Tolkien. The first one was timed for the release of Return of the Kings and was fantastic! This year, because Tolkien and Lewis were friends and colleagues, they're adding a Narnia component to it, too! Here's the website: The Gathering of the Fellowship
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 28-Oct-2005, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

Hi, to you, too, myaleigh! Welcome from another newbie! Hope you enjoy Writers of Rohan (and be sure to see the link I just posted in my reply to WizardofOwls for The Gathering of the Fellowship!
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 28-Oct-2005, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I would like to extend my welcome to myaleigh! It is so nice to have you both here with us. We are like one big family here, and we just love to welcome new members to the fold! I hope you both will enjoy your stay with us, and that you will come back and visit with us often!

Gallesjrrt - The only one of the Narnia books I ever read was The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. I was inspired to read it by an animated version I saw once when I was a kid (some 30 odd years ago). Recently I saw the complete set in one book at our local Wal-Mart, and decided to read them all. I'm about halfway through the first, The Magician's Nephew, and am loving it! I especially loved the scene where Aslan sang Narnia into existnce! Beautiful! I can't wait to see the new movie version of TLTWATW coming out this Christmas!

I also have been a JRRT fan for a long time, but must shamefully confess I have only seen the first movie, despite the fact that I have all three on tape! (Wiz blushes)!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]