Posted: 28-May-2005, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

Well I don't know how many of you buy garlic at the grocery but after 3-4 day the bulb begin to rot.It doesn't matter if you put it in the refrigerator , a plastic bag or paper , it appear.My mom buy a few bulb today , I think I will put it oil.Anyone have suggestions to preserve it?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 31-May-2005, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

I keep garlic in a tera cotta garlic keeper..
and it works fine...

NEVER keep garlic in oil...
Please read this..

http://www.garlic-central.com/dangers.html

Botulism will seriously mess up your day !

Taken from The Appetizing Muse

"Storing garlic in oil, without other preservatives, is dangerous! The oil blocks air circulation and without oxygen, botulin toxin can build up, even in the refrigerator. Botulism can be fatal. Please research this. I'm not asking that anyone take my word for it--just look into it for yourself before storing garlic in oil."

Here is a cute, inexpensive keeper
http://entertaining.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...ic.htm%23keeper

Make sure you are buying the freshest garlic possible..
I find loose is so much better than the ones boxed and wrapped in plastic!
If you have a wholesale district around. try there , for fresh produce.

Good Luck Nancy!

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 05-Jun-2005, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

Hey thank you to bring this to my attention.I know the toxin , we have a special course about hygiene when we learn pastry or any branch related to food and we talk about danger of this toxin.Of course I don't use garlic in pastry and it's the first time I heard about this.I think I will be more carefull and find another way.Thank you.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Montie, druid at heart 
Posted: 14-Oct-2008, 06:04 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Sugar Grove, VA

male

After I dig up my garlic, I clean it and then dry it by putting it in an onion bag (net). Then when I need some, I just go to the bag and get some cloves out. I've never had any problem doing it this way. I've thought about grinding it up and putting it in a shaker but haven't went that far yet. I've always been a little learie about doing much with it wet.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 14-Oct-2008, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Montie @ druid at heart,14-Oct-2008, 06:04 AM)
I've always been a little learie about doing much with it wet.

Here, try this with a whole large head of fresh, not-dried garlic. Bake it when you bake potatoes, just like it is, in the same oven. When the potatoes are done, take out the garlic and squeeze the soft baked innerds from each clove into a shallow dish. Mash this soft garlic all together, then mash the potatoes with some milk and maybe a little cream, butter, salt and pepper, and whip the mashed garlic into the potatoes. You will find the garlic has completely lost its bite, and has a fascinating, mild, slightly nutty flavor -- and you may never have mashed potatoes plain again. These garlic mashed potatoes are very good baked over cod fillets to make a kind of crusty top. Put the hot cooked garlic potatoes over the fish, brush a little extra milk on before putting in the oven for half an hour. If the fish is very thick, broil it part way first.
PMEmail Poster               
jayhenson 
Posted: 14-Oct-2008, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Royse City, Texas USA

male

QUOTE (Nancy-Raven @ 05-Jun-2005, 08:31 PM)
Of course I don't use garlic in pastry and it's the first time I heard about this.

Couldn't you use it in a savory pastry? Say a puff pastry with herbs, maybe some meats and cheese and garlic? I will assume you don't count bread as a pastry per se since a nice Rosemary-Garlic loaf right out of the oven is a little slice of heaven.

The botulism problem is also an issue if you make an infused oil. I like to make my own Garlic Olive Oil (makes the house smell awesome while its cooking too). You have to strain it very very well with several layers of cheesecloth, several times to get ALL the solids out or you could end up with bottled botox juice, not a nice healthy flavorful oil. After simmering for a few hours and when the straining is all done, try spreading the now soft garlic paste on toast and enjoy....

I am getting hungry now.....later!!

Jay
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Montie, druid at heart 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 05:58 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Sugar Grove, VA

male

One other note. I love garlic so I eat it alot. About 12 years ago I got a bad cold and decided to research home remedies. I read up on vinegar and garlic. I started drinking 2 cups of water every morning with about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it and continued eating garlic. I have not had a common cold in 12 years now. I have asthma and allergies so I get an occasional bronchial infection when I get one of those two irritated but otherwise, I don't buy cold medicine.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt