Rosemary 
Posted: 02-Jun-2004, 11:19 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Oregon, USA

female

So, where did your relatives come from, and where did they settle?

Some of mine came from Ireland and settled in Texas (which is interesting). Others came from Scotland and ended up in Alabama. (Also interesting). You don't really hear of a lot of people doing that.

--------------------
There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. -the Doctor
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 10-Jun-2004, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Spain/Puerto Rico and settled in Brooklyn and United Kingdom to Ohio.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 10-Jun-2004, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Germany and Scotland to VA.

Rose: Indeed one doesn't hear as much of those states, but it surprises me that we don't, rather than being a surprise that Immigrants from the Isles found themselves there wink.gif

They call this country a salad bowl or melting pot for a reason, I'd find it intreugeing if a pertuicular area *lacked* those of a perticular nationality.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
bradfordskyle 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: 3989 Spica Way Lompoc, CA 93436

male

My Irish ancestors came to Texas and Mississippi.

--------------------
Faith is believing what you know - aint so! -Mark Twain, 1897
PMEmail Poster               
dfilpus 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Finland to Michigan.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 04-Dec-2004, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

On my father's side (which I've only been able to trace back a few generations), my immigrant ancestors arrived in Scott and Clark Counties, Indiana, in the early to mid-1800's from Ulster (McDonald), Scotland (Campbell), and Germany (Ulmer, Deppe). On my mother's side, the most recent immigrants were Peter and Anna Anderson (Malmo, Sweden), late 1800's, whose farmhouse still stands at the corner of Route 20 and Peter Anderson Road in Burlington, WA, and the least recent was John Livingston I, who settled in Virgina in the mid-1600's, likely after being unable to settle his father's estate in Scotland, due to his father's debts. Surnames of New England immigrant ancestors include Woolsey, Hopkins, and Thorne. Other Virginia immigrant ancestors (from mid-1600's to late 1700's) include Bolton, Morgan, Frazier, Franklin, Gibson, Hog(g)(e), McCulloch, Ware, and Strong (mostly from Scotland, some from England, and least one from Wales). A clan Donald DNA study suggests that in my direct paternal line, my ancestors were in Ulster at least as early as the early 300's.
While most of my ancestors on my mother's side ended up in Scott County (exteme SW) VA, it is interesting to note that a good number of collateral kin followed the migration paths to places like Alabama, Arkansas, and Texas. A few collaterals were among the Mormon settlers of Utah. Some of my direct maternal ancestors (a Yankee militiaman in one of the units that defeated Morgan's raiders at Cynthiana, married to the niece of a surgeon who served with Morgan's raiders) stopped off in Arkansas for a couple of decades after the late unpleasantness before settling in Skagit County, WA. My father's family has pretty much stayed in Clark County, Indiana.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 04-Dec-2004, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

My family has been in the United States since the mid 1700's, most of our family root are from Scotland, and Scot-Irish. We have family names such as Ross, McDonald, Gappen, Moffat, Macfarlane. Some of our research shows an immigration from Pennsylvania to the south while the Ross family seems to have immigrated to North Carolina between 1745 and 1750. We have some English in us but the family is quick to point out these ancestor were married to Scotts or Irish and had immigrated from Scotland or Ireland not England. Some of my ancestors also married into the Cherokee tribe. I don't have any immediate family that has recently immigrated, and I proud that I'm descended from people who were strong and endured the hardships of not only coming over but carving out a niche in this country.
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 09-Dec-2004, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

My family(that ive been able to trace) came into either carolina or virginia from Ireland and moved to tennesee until finally settling down in the hills of alabama. the other side that i know of was already here. some cherokee and seminole.

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
catlynelizabeth 
Posted: 29-Jan-2005, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Boston

female

The Irish side of the family came from Mayo and Sligo in Ireland around the 1920's and settled in New York City. Since then they have spread out through New York, Massacheuttes, New Jersey, and Ohio. The other side the Scottish side settled in upstate New York I think, and the French side originally settled in Canada before moving southward into New York. That's about all I know.

--------------------
To watch us irish dance is to hear our hearts speak!
Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt
PMEmail Poster               
MiLadyCeilidh 
Posted: 30-Dec-2005, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: The Buckeye State

female

Scotland to Virginia ... Mass ... Kentucky ... and Ohio
My heart is in the South! There are Leslie's all over the South!

--------------------
Cuimhnich na daoine òn d'thàinig thu!
Gun cuireadh do Chupa thairis le Slainte agus sonas!
PMEmail Poster               
redmondc 
Posted: 31-Dec-2005, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

female

G'day, New here to this site.
My family on the maternal side has been here in the USA since the 1600's and my paternal side isn't completely certain of when. The perdominant origin is Ireland, Wales, Scottland, Spain and France. On my paternal side I know we are related to the Carrolls of the Charles Carroll of Carrollton family, Thomas Paine. The Redmond's are from County Galway. I am not certain where the Carroll's and Copeland's originated. Some how through arriving in Virginia they ended up in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi.

On my Maternal side we traced the maternal roots to the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215. They were the Dukes of Runnymede, the meadow where the document was signed. Also discovered that Marthat Epps was wife to Thomas Jefferson and from there our history travels to Alabama, Mississippi and Geaorgia. "They scratch a Southerner in the USA and you are likely to find a blood relative." Our maternal Family names are Cleveland, Barte, Eslava, Epps and Mullen. The French arrived at the original site of Mobile in the 1600's and the Spanish Miguel Eslava had been Viceroy to Cartegena in Columbia, Governor of Mexico and then King Ferdinand's treasurer to the City of Mobile during the Spanish ownership whish was bought by the US in the Louisiana Purchase. I come from a long line of freedom fighters and independent thinkers. I learned herbology from my Great-grandmother Lynda Kennedy on my mother's paternal side, which are Mullen, Kennedy, Dean, Mackenzie. These families again all resided in either Alabama, Mississippi, or Georgia. My paternal grandmother was received as a member of the First Families of Virginia based on her geneology.
PMEmail Poster               
ronw1 
Posted: 16-May-2007, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: tulsa ok

male

decendent of the stuckley westcott's of Rhode Island one of the founding fathers of the state, By what I have been able to find out they come from Devonshire and areas around
If family tree is correct it goes back to Ledger De Wescoat about 1300's Now have family scattered to the four corners of the country Ill. Or probly Wis, Ny. Oh and of course might still have in Rhode Island but still working on that part .
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 16-May-2007, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Italy decendants came to Michigan via New York and Ceveland to Michigan. German/UK straight to the U.P.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Madadh 
Posted: 17-May-2007, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

My Fathers family came from Southern Ireland into Norther New York, where my Mothers family came from Northern Ireland to Southern New York. biggrin.gif

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Scooterly 
Posted: 20-May-2007, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

female

My mother's family came from Mitchelstown, Cork, Ireland and were actually Peter Robinson settlers that came to Canada on the ship Resolution in 1825. From there the son of John came down into South Dakota and his daughter brought the family to Montana! Pretty interesting read to, about the Peter Robinson settlers.

This page has a list of all the passangers: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/passenge...olution1825.htm

And number 29, Brien, are my ancestors which is really cool! biggrin.gif It was an exciting find for the family . . .

As for my dad's side, its really hard to trace back and sadly, we have no records . . .
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]