Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Electronic Babysitter, Do kids watch TV or does TV watch them?
Bookmark and Share
McRoach 
  Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

>>*<<

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #6
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

I reflect back on my childhood as an early latch key kid and the amount of television I watched growing up. I recall many cartoons he-man, gi joe, the smurfs. As I grew older shows like family ties, the facts of life, whatever that show was called with Tony Danza as a nanny, and so on.

With two small children of my own and a full time job opposite of my wifes, I find that my children are heading down a similar path and although I try to keep a limit on how much of it they consume, I wonder at times just how much is too much? At what point does the TV become the babysitter?

I like PBS Sprout and that is about the only thing I let them watch, no simpsons or family guy, none of that brain rotting stuff yet. I know it won't be long before my children start turning the channels and choosing what they want to watch and the channel locks will have to be put on. censored.gif

What are everyone else's thoughts and guidelines for TV consumption? At what point are you trusting the TV to raise your kids?

--------------------
"May those who love us, love us. And those who hate us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
-Celtic Proverbs

Grateful am I to have a sword in which to defend myself at all times, blessed am I for the days I need not use it.

Daylight Saving Time countdown banner
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
marthien 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

male

Well I would start with putting on those channel locks as soon as possible. I find that Blues Clues ain't all that bad of show for young children to watch.
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 28-Feb-2009, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

When our son was young he would stay home with me when I was laid off. I let him watch what ever he wanted, but we would talk about the stuff of more dubious quality. As he grew older he learned that not everything on the tube was worth watching and gravitated away from crap TV and towards other pastimes. Maybe it works or maybe we were lucky, but we never censored what he watched, just talked about the value of some programming.
He turned out to be a fine young man and is taking the same approach with his daughter, so far doesn't seem to care much for TV.

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
InRi 
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

Realm: Arbing, Upper Austria

male

In my childhood to watch TV didn't loom large. There were two reasons for this fact: There were two TV channels availabe only - and both showed garbage only. As children we spent a lot of time outside to play with other children, to experience "adventures", read books and done a lot of things more. Almost every day I came home with battered knees and filthy up to the ears. To watch TV was one of the most dinky things at all. That was a great time!
I think the gist of the matter isn't the availableness of more or less TV-channels or the ability to lock some or more channels - but which significance has to watch TV for the children. And this again is a question of parental ideal.
In fact children learn the most of their behaviors and mannerisms by their parents. If the parents use TV for "killing" boredom, if they haven't hobbies or other interests, the children will adopt this behavior really fast - especially it's a simple way to kill time without effort.
Prohibitions aren't useful, if the parents don't exemplify a reasonable way to watch TV. The most important case, I think, is to spend actively a lot of time with the children and show them alternatives (no wagging forefinger, please) for watching TV. To stay much outside and have fun there, to meet friends, to have hobbies, to go in for sports, and so forth. If you include the children in all these things adequate early, they will not evolve a immoderate interest to watch TV - because they have a lot of alternatives they can do. (Apart from that the children learn much more about social and emotional competences by this way as every broadcast can show them.)
Under these circumstances it is much simplier to lead the children to a useful way to watch TV (selected age-based telecasts) without the children have to miss something. The best,of course, is to watch this together and speak about it after
I don't damn the TV because the reason that a lot of children raise with TV as an electronic babysitter in this time, are mostly parental omissions.

Best regards from Austria

Ingo

--------------------
valpal59 
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

We were always outside also. The only time that we watched tv was when we had to be in the house, usually weather related or being punished by not being allowed outside with everyone else. Hated it when I couldn't go out. Mom knew that would be the worst punishment for me. She was also like Dogshirt and would let us watch what we wanted. It didn't seem like there was very many "bad" shows back then.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Antwn 
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

"Four Arguments Against the Existance of Television" by Jerry Mander
This is a fascinating book written by a former advertising executive.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 05:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

This is an interesting subject. Having raised two children and now have two grandchildren the topic is still very active in our family. When I was young I spent most of my days on horseback riding everywhere. I would be gone all day and my mother would never know where to find me. Would I let my children or grandchildren do that now? No!!! There is just too many dangerous people out there. On the recent missing little girl in Florida, the police had to interview 44 sex offenders in a five mile radius of her home. The point I am trying to make is spending time with your children whether watching tv or if possible outside playing is pure gold. They will grow up and make their own decisions not from the tv they watch but by your thoughts and opinions. Make sure they know you!!!!!!

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 01-Mar-2009, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Just to add another note. Our cable tv has added a station that plays all the tv shows from the 60's. My husband watched alot of tv and he and my grandson are watching Combat together. I hope they pick up all the army men before they go to bed.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
InRi 
Posted: 02-Mar-2009, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (flora @ 01-Mar-2009, 11:03 PM)
There is just too many dangerous people out there.

Hi flora
Just now as I read your post I remember that my mother and my grandmother said exactly the same to me as I was a child. I'm not sure if her grandmother said the same to her too, as she was a child - but I could image by myself.
It's right, there's a lot of bad and dangerous people outside today but such people was at the time of my childhood outside too and I'm sure they'll be outside when I have grandchildren.
I, for one as a child, knew the places where I never would gone because there was a bit fishy for me. All my friends knew such places too and never is gone one of us there.
I'm sure the most children have a kind of "instinct" to avoid dangerous people. Furthermore I think that children are save if they playing outside within a group. If you read or hear about missing children they ever were alone on the way.
I know (I have two children too) as parents or grandparents you see the world outside through "attention danger" glasses - and this is good and right. To evaluate and to calculate risks - and a adequate reaction on it is helpful for the children and it is always useful.
But I think too, we shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill - the bad people today aren't worse as in the past...

Best regards

Ingo
lschillinger 
Posted: 02-Mar-2009, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

I've often wondered this myself. Much like Dogshirt raised his children, our TV viewing was never monitored just discussed, and we turned out ok ~ mostly! wink.gif

My younger sister is now the mother of a four month old who does in fact watch TV, not only does she watch it, but she will make facial expressions at the people on the TV. This worries me a bit as I'm afraid it will stunt her development, but I read an interesting article today on this very topic. and I suppose every situation and child is different...We did play outside a lot as well. As long as we were home by the time the street light in our back field came on we were "safe". We rode our bikes everywhere. However, it just seems like there are times when watching TV is a good family activity. I definitely learned about the "real" side of my parents this way.

MSNBC.com

TV may do no harm or good to babies
Viewing before age 2 has no impact on learning ability, study finds
Reuters
updated 9:51 a.m. ET, Mon., March. 2, 2009
CHICAGO - Whether watching television hurts or helps babies' development has divided researchers and parents. A study released on Monday concluded it does neither.

The study of 872 children found no correlation between the amount of time they had spent viewing television before they reached 2 years of age and their progress at age 3.

On average, the children had watched nearly one hour of television per day at the age of 6 months and 1.4 hours a day by age 2, according to the report published in Pediatrics.

Surveys show 68 percent of babies under 2 view some screen media such as television or a computer on a typical day. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends children younger than 2 never watch screen media, while some video makers promote their wares as educational.

In the study, children living in homes with lower household income or whose mothers had less education were more likely to watch more TV. Non-white children also watched more.

The children were given vocabulary, drawing, object matching and pegboard tests to evaluate their verbal and motor skills at age 6 months and again at 3.

Those who had watched more television as infants performed less well on tests at age 3, but the effect disappeared after adjusting for the mother's education, vocabulary, household income and other socioeconomic factors.

"Contrary to parents' perceptions that TV viewing is beneficial to their children's brain development, we found no evidence of cognitive benefit from watching TV during the first 2 years of life," wrote Marie Schmidt of Children's Hospital Boston with colleagues from Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care.

The findings paralleled those of some other studies that found television viewing had no impact on academic achievement among older children and adolescents — as long as socioeconomic factors were taken into account.

But another study cited by the researchers did find more TV viewing at age 3 correlated to less verbal ability at age 6. They suggested the detrimental effect may not show up until children are older than 3 and more verbal. Or there may be more harm done by TV viewing between the ages of 2 and 3 years.

Even so, there are reasons to curtail television viewing. Children who watch more television run higher risks of being overweight, developing attention problems and not getting enough sleep.

Copyright 2009 Reuters. Click for restrictions.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29463687/

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2009 MSNBC.com

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
lschillinger 
Posted: 02-Mar-2009, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

QUOTE (McRoach @ 26-Feb-2009, 11:18 AM)
whatever that show was called with Tony Danza as a nanny, and so on.

Oh, and thats "Who's the Boss". That was one of my favorites as well. Along with Mr. Bellvadeir, Alf and Charles in Charge.
flora 
Posted: 02-Mar-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

But I think too, we shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill - the bad people today aren't worse as in the past...

Oh Inri I value your opinion and thoughts but I just can't agree with that statement. I'm sure we could start another forum subject on that and I wish it wasn't true. I find that in today's society there are many more people that would do a criminal act and not thing twice about it. sad.gif

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 02-Mar-2009, 10:01 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I would guess that the biggest damage to children from watching TV would be the lack of interaction with family and other people. They cannot learn the values and skills to get along in this world when glued to the set!

beer_mug.gif
InRi 
Posted: 03-Mar-2009, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (flora @ 02-Mar-2009, 11:42 PM)
I'm sure we could start another forum subject on that and I wish it wasn't true.

Hi flora,

Good idea! So that we don't post off topic I'll open a new thread at that matter.

Best regards

Ingo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt