Posted: 21-Jan-2005, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Hello All,

I have been reading about Scottish history from this site and it is very interesting information. I wonder just how much of the information is accurate. Has anyone else ran across this site and read about the history? Are there any other sites you might suggest that offers a different perspective or maybe a deeper look into the history?

Somewhat along the same lines I will also add is it more important in today?s culture to trace back our ancestral roots since Scotland?s population has become so diverse? Like the site said and I quote, ?Since the 19th century, Scotland has opened its doors to Lithuanians, Italians, Poles, Ugandan Asians, Pakistanis and Chinese. They pay taxes, their children are enrolled in local schools, and they contribute significantly towards the complex composition of the nation. Some have risen to the top of their trades. Their ethnic origins may be diverse, but the adoption process has been successful. They are Scots.? So should those who have ties or roots to clans have a higher status or be seen as official Scots? Even those who first discovered Scotland were immigrants. I guess what I am trying to say is can you place someone with Scottish ancestry a little higher then someone who has only lived there for 20-30 years?

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 01:07 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Aragorn! I am no expert on Scottish history by any means, but from what I understand the site you posted a link to is supposedly accurate, according to my Scottish sources. But be careful as there are some things on the internet that are not accurate. The problem with Scottish history or any history for that matter is that you get different perspectives and opinions depending on who you talk to and read from. It has been a real issue for me as I talk to a lot of Scots to get info about their history from the horse's mouth, so to speak. However, I find a lot of Scots have been taught their history from an English perspective and the Scots who really know the history of their country have studied it for themselves. But still! I get different opinions and perspectives. It is really frustrating. All I can say is to make sure you get some really good books from reputable authors such as John Prebble, Fitzroy MacLean, Magnus Magnusson, David R Ross and Murray Pittock who write about Scottish history. And there again, there will be Scots who will disagree with me.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

To CelticRose's excellent response, I would add that the Scots have always been a diverse people. Another source you may want to look at is Pictavia, which gives an overview of Scotland's history from a latter day Pict's point of view.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
BDougher 
Posted: 09-May-2005, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: USA

male

Aragorn,

My understanding is that we are all transplanted from some where. Pangaea was one continent and then decided to drift apart. My personal feeling is you are as official as you want to be. I consider myself to be American, but I have Scottish and Irish blood flowing through my vein because of my ancestry. I honour my past and enjoy my present. Historians are there to help us not to repeat the mistakes of our past and if someone takes a concern about the place they call home, then there is less a chance to make those mistakes twice.

Just my 2 cents,

Brian

--------------------
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
John Wooden
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Brian, I fully agree with you. We all have a proud heritage and more people should look to the past as lessons learned and try not to duplicate them. Hehe, I am an American with Scottish/German blood running through my veins and it is good to know where we came from and also where we are now.

It is interesting, if you read history from a native Indian's point of view it would definately be different then an American historian's view. So we should always weigh the information and source when doing research. I try to find a few different perspectives to get a better picture of history.

Thank you all for the input.

I hope I made some kind of sense. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-May-2005, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Aragorn, you did make sense to me! biggrin.gif I have read a lot of Native American history and you are right. It is a different perspective than coming from a non-Natives.

I like what Mailagnus and BDougher had to say as well! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]