> Quite a friendly place really, Such a relief
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 04-Nov-2002, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

I've spent some time on a BBC Radio 5 message board today ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive ) and I'm so relieved to drop in on the peace and quiet of Highlander, sad there was no one here right now. But I wanted to let you know you're all good decent people.

The "Fivelive" board seems to consist of people bent on ripping each other apart, especially if you're a "Newbie".

As someone born and bred in Wales (And I think I might be speaking for Catriona here too re Scotland) I do find the impression of "The Celtic Nations" from the other side of the Atlantic can tend towards the "Romantic" or Ill informed Historical perspective (Brave Heart etc).

However, I want to commend you all for your dedication to something which we over here perhaps take for granted. My comment in an earlier post regarding Queens, Brooklyn and Greenwich Village was to illustrate the irony of all being of the same cultural context. The double irony which was lost on me at the time of posting was that New York is the largest St Patrick's day celebration in the world.

A couple of years ago, I stood transfixed for over 8 hours watching what felt like the whole world become Irish for the day. Here's one for the New York Cleansing Department Pipe and Drum Band  (b) .

Iecyd Dda i chwi gyd
Welsh Guy

--------------------
Quand tout renaît à l'espérance
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 04-Nov-2002, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
246,908 Gold!

Thanks for your kind comments Welsh Guy!

Yes, this is a friendly group and makes my job as admin very easy. In fact, I feel comfortable enough to toss the keys over to any one of the regular posters here! Interesting we did have a few problems with content, language from a few posters who choose not to come back after being confronted. We probably lost a few members taking the higher road, but I think in the end we have a core group of people that share a love for Celtic music and heritage.

I agree with you about the overall impression that America may have of the Celtic Nations. I think what struck me the most about discovering my ancestors was the pure difficulty of life in that part of the region prior to the 1800?s. Even finding out about the Highland Clearances and other tragic chapters in Celtic history, gives me a sense of how I ended up where I am today. And I think to a greater sense, that is what drives my interest in Celtic music, traditions and history ? How I ended up where I am today, who were my ancestors and where did they come from.  I don?t think I will find my answer in a New York St. Patrick Day event !

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 04-Nov-2002, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

Hi Paul,

Not wishing to be spikey, but how do you reconcile the "difficulty of life" prior to the 1800s for the Celtic peoples, with the complete destruction of the culture and Nations of the Native Americans?
PMEmail Poster               
Cpl. A.J. 
Posted: 04-Nov-2002, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Mid Ohio Valley

I must echo Welsh Guy's recent post.  Few things turn me off more quickly than finding a forum that covers my interests, then to watch that same forum attract a bunch of --  how best to describe them? -- coarse characters who seem to know everything and delight in trashing posts and opinions of others.  As living historian of the Civil War period, I have found that the leading forum in that area is of that type.  The lion's share of posters there are a fine, decent and helpful sort, but there seems to be a vocal minority who make the overall experience unpleasant.  It's not worth the time it takes to sift through the chaff to find the many wonderful gems, so I rarely go there anymore.  A shame, really, as the forum is a wonderful source of 19th-century information.

This forum seems to be one of those rare gems--- a group of like-minded individuals coupled with a dose of careful moderation from the sysop.  I'm glad to have found it.

Keep up the good work.

A.J.
PMEmail Poster               
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 04-Nov-2002, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

Glad you found us Cpl AJ, pull up a chair. Now, who's civil war are we talking about? I for one, followed Ruperts Regiment for the Cavaliers (never was a fan of Cromwell).
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
  Posted: 05-Nov-2002, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

Quote (Welsh Guy @ Nov. 04 2002,12:35)
Hi Paul,

Not wishing to be spikey, but how do you reconcile the "difficulty of life" prior to the 1800s for the Celtic peoples, with the complete destruction of the culture and Nations of the Native Americans?

::viking Well the Irish regulars in the US Calvery, thought it was bloody good fun.
It wasn't complete destruction of the culture, you might be suprised how much of it we have kept, and how much of it is being inflicted on the white man. (we didn't tell him that the cyote is the messanger of death, and to bring figures of it inside is to invite trouble) Some Tribes have had very little change from exposure to the white man, ie the Pueblos. With some tribes, the high point of thier culture came after the white man came with his horses, ie the Soux, Apachie, & Nespa. True many of the Coastal farming tribes, were almost wiped out by illness, and adapting to white ways.  But like the Scottish, Welch  & Irish, we native Americans  have hung on to much of our culture. Though the practice of raids on nearby settlements, for making Coup, is not allowed. Darn!
PMEmail Poster               
Cpl. A.J. 
Posted: 05-Nov-2002, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Mid Ohio Valley

Welsh Guy:

>>>Glad you found us Cpl AJ, pull up a chair. Now, who's civil war are we talking about?<<<

Oops... I forgot my audience here for a moment, and shouldn't've been speaking generically. There have been more than a few civil wars covered by the topic areas here, haven't there?  I was referring to the Recent Unpleasantness in the U.S. circa 1861-65.

A.J.
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
Posted: 06-Nov-2002, 07:38 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

::viking Welcome Cpl.A.J. Pop on over to the welcome center and tell us a bit about yourself. We know you are a US civil war buff. Do you go to reenactments? ::hmm
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 06-Nov-2002, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
246,908 Gold!

Quote (Cpl. A.J. @ Nov. 04 2002,3:47)
This forum seems to be one of those rare gems--- a group of like-minded individuals coupled with a dose of careful moderation from the sysop.  I'm glad to have found it.

Keep up the good work.

A.J.

Thanks AJ! I go to church every Sunday and say a special pray for the Highlander Radio Forum that those internet thugs stay wide and clear of this haven on the net! :)

Actually, if anything happens in the future, I think there is a "report to moderator" link on each message which will go to the appropriate moderator of each forum.

Thanks again for your kinds comments, but I really must point out that I have very little to do with the make up of the forum. Really it is all of the members of the forum that have made this such a good and well regarded place. I have just merely installed a few scripts, tweaked a few graphics and pop in once and a while! :)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 07-Nov-2002, 05:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best place for our type of people on the net!!!

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
  Posted: 07-Nov-2002, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
246,908 Gold!

Quote (Welsh Guy @ Nov. 04 2002,12:35)
Hi Paul,

Well, I would not exactly say that the Indian culture was completely destructed, but I could not say that I am particularly proud of that part of American history.

There are some people in our country that believe the Indians had no right to these lands, although I am not sure how they came up with that.

However, through History things like this seemed to be common place. Hopefully we are at a point when the modern world will never experience ethnic cleansing again, which is what it boils down to.

What I disagree with is how people believe they are somehow owed reparations for things that happened 100+ years ago. In other words, we are not giving back the land to the Indians and we are not compensating people for slavery that happened centuries ago.

My ancestors were treated so badly that they were thrown out of their country, on a boat and told they were going to North Carolina to rich farm lands, when in fact the owner of the ship (a personal friend of George Washington) had no intentions of bringing them to NC. Instead, his intentions were to drop them off at PEI at the start of the winter season. Last laugh on him, his boat - called the Annabella (after a Campbell) was destroyed in a huge October Storm.

Now you don't see me looking for compensation for things that happened to my ancestors. I would rather spend my time blazing my own trail rather than worrying about the pasts injustices.
Faileas 
  Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

:D Aye i agree i like this place as i like the radio station. Maybe a silly question,Mac, but i love all them pictures and flashing flags. Where do you find them , and how do i get them to appear beside the message i want to post? ::luvradio

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hi Flower

Well these are Avatars to get them is easy. Near the top of the page is a light grey bar. In this bar it says Your Control Panel click on that. Once loaded you should see a page that has what looks like 6 tabs across the width of the page select personal info tab. The first item in this list allows you to edit your personal profile that other users see if they want to find out more about you. All items are optional so fill in as many or as few as you want. You can also set up a signature like I have at end of my message which gets added to all your posts saves time having to retype your name and such at end of posts you can put pretty much whatever you want there. I have a graphic in another forum I am a member of so pretty much the worlds the linit. Now back on the personal info page there is a second option that is avatar options clicking this brings up a page that has 2 parts. Choose either option A, which is all the preinstalled avatars meaning you just choose from the list the one you like or choose option B like I did (Note Paul may have added mine to the list but when I started mine was choice B for sure  :) , but coice B allows you to choose any graphic that fits these dimentions (Maximum Width = 100 pixels | Maximum Height = 135 pixels). Not you will need to either one know the URL for the graphic if somewhere on the web other then your own. To do this just right click on the image you desire and choose properties. This will show you the URL to this image and also the size of the image make note of both and then paste them into the boxs in the custom avatar area which is right below the preinstalled items.

Hope that helps.
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

:D  (d) Thanks Scottish! As u see it has helped!! I edited as well my profile if u like a bit more info. Morain Taing!!
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Great!  :)  (d)

And love the Flag!  :D
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]