Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Mozilla just released Firefox 3 (a web browser) on the 17th, and got themselves into the Guinness Book of World Records by providing the highest number of downloads in 24 hrs. (8.3 million worldwide. Their goal was five). It's a much more secure browser than IE (pop-up blockers never existed in IE until a long time after Firefox made it popular), and is lightning fast in comparison. And it's skinnable! biggrin.gif There are a few dozen theme packages (just the way your browser looks), but I'm sure that will grow fast. Many of the old themes don't work with 3.

15000 upgrades from Firefox 2, and there are some beautiful add-ons available. There are A LOT of add-ons, actually, but many are so specific that few people would ever use them.

-Adblock Plus (blocks adds on webpages. You right click on the add and choose 'Adblock image' or 'frame' and you'll never see that add again)

-Flashblock (no flash animations unless you click on them)

-FoxyTunes (embeds your audio player controls in the browser... any audio player)

-GooglePreview (Inserts website previews next to the link with your google search results. Yes, this is eye candy, but you can turn it off with a button in the lower right)

-UK English dictionary wink.gif

Download Firefox 3.
Add-ons and Themes.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 20-Jun-2008, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

male

I've been using the Beta version for a few weeks now, and can affirm what oldraven says. Well worth the upgrade from Firefox2 (I only use IE when a web designer absolutely requires it).

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 05-Jul-2008, 11:09 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Ok, stupid question. what about those of us who have msn as a their server? who do we use for both email and internet search? I was told to use Thunderbird.

Any of you have other ideas before I switch?

Many thanks!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 07-Jul-2008, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I haven't switched to Thunderbird yet. It looks to be a direct replacement for Outlook, but I'm not to savy with setting up e-mail.
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 07-Jul-2008, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I've downloaded 3.0 and I found a theme that makes it look like IE7 (or darn close) so I can find my way around. The only thing stopping me from making the final move is I can't figure out how to add an icon to the toolbars to launch my mail program (one of the few things I like about IE7).

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 26-Sep-2008, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Cincinnati, OHIO

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #39
194,626 Gold!

Is it possible to have both IE7 and Firefox 3 loaded on my computer? Or, is it better to remove IE7 after downloading Firefox?

--------------------
GO KENTUCKY WILDCATS
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 26-Sep-2008, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

they should co-exist just fine.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 27-Sep-2008, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 20-Jun-2008, 10:33 AM)
got themselves into the Guinness Book of World Records by providing the highest number of downloads in 24 hrs. (8.3 million worldwide. Their goal was five).

Adam, I think that was simply because Firefox 2 had an automatic download feature for any updates. Still gets my vote. thumbs_up.gif

Aaediwen (Anthony) got me using Firefox a few months ago and I haven't had a single crash or hang-up since. Next computer gets Linux and Bill Gates can stuff it.

Only problem I have had with Firefox, has to do with some Java issues. I've re-downloaded Java and some web pages I still can't view certain content. I'm sure Anthony will come up with the right cure, as he keeps giving me more things to check. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 27-Sep-2008, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Cincinnati, OHIO

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #39
194,626 Gold!

they should co-exist just fine.

Thanks, so far so good.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 29-Sep-2008, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

We have them both and all works fine! Hope that helps!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 29-Sep-2008, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

There are some things that I have to use Internet Explorer for because they use
Active-X. I only use it when I have to. I use Firefox most of the time.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
subhuman 
Posted: 15-Oct-2008, 02:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

There are some things that I have to use Internet Explorer for because they use Active-X.

ActiveX is very unsecure (is that even a word? it is now!) compared to Java. I would recommend being careful about what sites you allow to install or access ActiveX controls.

On that note:
Is it possible to have both IE7 and Firefox 3 loaded on my computer? Or, is it better to remove IE7 after downloading Firefox?

I know this has already been answered, but there is one thing that MSIE can do that FF can't. FF cannot be used to download and install MS updates for Windows. For that reason alone, I would recommend keeping MSIE installed.
This is all related- FF will not execute the ActiveX controls MS needs to run in order to verify you have a legit copy of Windows.

I've downloaded 3.0 and I found a theme that makes it look like IE7 (or darn close) so I can find my way around. The only thing stopping me from making the final move is I can't figure out how to add an icon to the toolbars to launch my mail program (one of the few things I like about IE7).

I don't know what mail service you use, but Webmail Notifier may do the trick: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4490
If it doesn't, I'm sure you can find a plugin to do the job here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Next computer gets Linux and Bill Gates can stuff it.

I still vote for eComStation. Native support for OS/2, DOS and Win16 code- then add in Odin for Win32 support and Everblue for XWindows (Linux) compatability and you have an all-in-one OS.
With either eCS or Linux, you'll have the option to use JFS as the filesystem, which is still not available for Windows.

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 15-Oct-2008, 03:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

OK Sub, aka Bob, since you seem to know a bit about Firefox, why am I having so many problems with Java on Firefox? Everything is checked off like it's supposed to be, re-loaded Java multiple times but still have Java issues. Got any other ideas on what's the cause?

When I have Java problems on a web page with Firefox and open IE to that page, everything works fine.
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 15-Oct-2008, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

Ok, well first the easiest way to start trying to track this down would be to visit one or more of the pages where you're having trouble.
Next, Java errors are quite rare- however Javascript errors are not. Despite the similar names and syntax, the two are totally unrelated scripting languages. It gets even more confusing when you factor in JScript which is MS' version of Javascript- and by MS' own admission, there are dozens of ways in which JScript is not ECMA compliant.
I'm suspecting that the problems stem from the websites using JScript-specific commands that only exist in JScript, and not in Javascript.
If this is the case, then bitch at whoever maintains the sites you're having trouble with. Requiring you to use a specific browser (which is what they're doing by using JScript) is akin to a restaurant owner requiring you to wear a specific brand of cologne before you're allowed to order dinner.

The majority of the useful information is under the 'History and Naming' heading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javascript
PMEmail Poster               
jime307 
Posted: 29-Oct-2008, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Jackson Hole, Wyoming USA

male

Yeah there are scripts errors involving jscript on a very regular basis with be as well, although I try to steer clear of MS "enhanced" languages

--------------------

St. Patrick's Day countdown banner
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]