Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

We need a new computer. Actually we need a new moitor due to an unfortunate candle accident that happened 4 years ago, melting the off button so that the thing has been on basically all of the last four years. For some odd reason, it is starting to fade out. Imagine that.

Anyway.... At four years old, it seems prudent to replace the system instead of components.

We have a Gateway and it has been good for us, especially the Gateway go back feature. But others tell us Dell is great as well.

Anyone have opinions? Stories? Advice?

What do we really need on a system?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
tsargent62 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I have a Gateway and have had a lot of trouble with it. Fortunately I know how to do most of my own work so I haven't had to send it back. If I had it to do over again I would definitely go with Dell. I have yet to talk to anyone that wasn't happy with one.

Do you have any technical questions, i.e., what components you might need?
I would make sure the system has enough power to last a while. At least 512 MB of RAM, 60-80 GB hard disk, 16-32 MB of video RAM. In other words, buy the most powerful system you can afford. Programs are taking up more and more system resources and you don't want to get caught short in 2 - 3 years.

We're about ready for a new system, too. It hit home when my son bought a new game and our system couldn't run it. I'm trying to persuade my wife to let me use part of our tax rebate on a new one.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

We had that same problem. Our son got a game at Easter and we can't install it. Yes, I definately need all the tech specs you can give me. Thanks! It's all just alphabet soup to me. rolleyes.gif
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I'm not familiar with Gateway, but bought a Dell for my son when he went off to college a couple of years ago. When we received the Dell, we discovered that it had a bad internet card. Within a couple of days, Dell sent someone to our house to replace the card, which I thought was excellent customer service.
I can't help but think there's a relationship between Dell thriving, and Gateway shutting down its brick-and-mortar stores.
I've also had good luck with eMachines--we have a desktop and a laptop, both of which we have been extremely happy with. I did upgrade the memory on the desktop to 640 mg--the laptop came with 512. I definitely agree that there is no such thing as too much memory.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Eamon 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

Dell has gotten ALOT better since they brought much of their customer support back from overseas. My company got to audit Michael Dells flight department, and his personal jet...let me put it to you this way...he makes WAY too much money.

I hear Gateway is good as well, but everything we run at work is Dell, and it is very reliable.

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Sis, I've never had a Gateway but I have 3 Dell's. My Laptop had a small modeum problem and they sent a tech down from Atlanta (100 miles) to service my laptop within 24 hours I called them so I'm pretty impressed.

The only thing I usually do when shopping for computers is I always buy extra storage. Usually if you buy more when you order the computer the extra storage is cheaper than when you add later. You can go into their website and custom order exactly what you want.

More is better!

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Look for an MDG computer store near you. Their prices are better than Dell OR Gateway and they keep in-store service. Nice to be able to take the 'puter into the shop where you got it!

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Sorry can't help with the question between Dell and Gateway.

I have always built my own (I know thats not a option for most poeple).
I would suggest that if you know someone or someplace that can do this, that is the way to go for several reason.

1) You can get exactly what you want/need from a computer without all the BS your going to get from a packaged unit.

2) I know from experiance that with Gateway and HP, if you run into a programming problem, you have to have the programming disc that come with the computer, because Gateway and HP embed their programming with Microsofts.

And one other nice thing about building a computer (if your into it), you can customize everything, can be a lot of fun!!

And that's my opinion.

--------------------
Careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

House of Gordon

PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but if you're just gonna get a computer for personal use, forget Dell and Gateway. Buy an iMac. You can buy them at Best Buy (although they still won't sell Apple software censored.gif ), CompUSA, or the Apple Store. I don't know about Best Buy, but both the Apple Store and CompUSA do repairs on-site.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 19-Apr-2004, 03:49 PM

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
kidclaymore 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

I have had both. I like the Dell the best. I had some trouble with the gateway, But mostly because it likes its own name brand components and just any brand won't do.

--------------------
Slainte
Cho Sona ri radan ann am muileann and Gus an coinnich sinn a rithisd
Clan Lamont
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Personally, I build my own and would recommend nothing less for anyone with that as an option. That way you get exactly what you want, you know exactly what you're getting, and you can make it as high or as low class as you want it. If that's not an option, then I'd go with Dell for a pre-built box, and indeed I'm planning on getting a neighbor who runs a business to order me a Latitude when I get ready to buy a laptop (as I understand, you have to be pretty handy with a soldering iron if you want to build your own laptop, And I'm not)
Top 10 in order of prefrence (with some vacant spots left out):

1. build your own
2. get someone you trust to build you a box
5. Dell
8. Gateway
10. E-machines (halfway decent budget machine, but I've seen some quirks in how my mom's machines run. Don't quite trust them myself.)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

gandster 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

male

Takes deep breathe !!!!!

Ok i bought a Dell first thing i did was completly strip it back down...repartitioned the harddrive and nuked all the Aol software they were so kind to install for me ...(reformated the harddrive../w the xp cd they were kind enough to send along...by the way...a bootable 98 cd will help by nuking off the ntfs and repartinoing the harddrive to fat 32..then converting to ntfs again....no lag..no spyware ...and a clean system ...and nothing but what ya want on it....after a repation tossing in the xp cd ...itll format the harddrive for you...all pretty easy really...i really wish people would lean how to do this...takes 10 minutes to learn and a lifetime to get over the fear of realizing its just SOFTWARE!...and can be replaced...)even though i was promised a clean harddrive...after that..have had no problems cause i wont let there techs touch it wink.gif
gandster

--------------------
Described as "bagpipes with an attitude," the energy and vitality
that Wolfstone brings to the stage is infectious; their audiences
are often brought to their collective feet with the opening notes
of the first tune.
Wolfstone and Mark saul in concert together..theres 1 heck of a shindig !!

i consider myself a sensitive inteligent fellow with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most crucial moment"..
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Sounds about right. Although I don't see the sense in the visit to vfat (Fat32). Just remove the partition during the XP reinstall, rebuild it there, and you're clean as you're going to get with Windows. I remember that right before I started building my own machines, my procedure with a pre-built box was...

First thing when I got home, track down installs for anything they had on it I might want, and nuke the sucker. Fdisk is your friend.
mingkee 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 06:37 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Apr 19 2004, 08:47 AM)
We need a new computer. Actually we need a new moitor due to an unfortunate candle accident that happened 4 years ago, melting the off button so that the thing has been on basically all of the last four years. For some odd reason, it is starting to fade out. Imagine that.

Anyway.... At four years old, it seems prudent to replace the system instead of components.

We have a Gateway and it has been good for us, especially the Gateway go back feature. But others tell us Dell is great as well.

Anyone have opinions? Stories? Advice?

What do we really need on a system?

besides of these
I'd prefer to build myself
both NEVER sell AMD version
and I built one myself, and really like it

shuttle xpc SN41G2V2 barebone
AMD XP 2500+
2ea corsair value select 256MB PC 3200 RAM
maxtor 120GB HD
lite-on DVD play/CD-RW combo drive
XP pro

I have monitor already

if you're interested to build, go for that
just 800 bucks

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
mingkee 
Posted: 19-Apr-2004, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Apr 19 2004, 06:08 PM)
Personally, I build my own and would recommend nothing less for anyone with that as an option. That way you get exactly what you want, you know exactly what you're getting, and you can make it as high or as low class as you want it. If that's not an option, then I'd go with Dell for a pre-built box, and indeed I'm planning on getting a neighbor who runs a business to order me a Latitude when I get ready to buy a laptop (as I understand, you have to be pretty handy with a soldering iron if you want to build your own laptop, And I'm not)
Top 10 in order of prefrence (with some vacant spots left out):

1. build your own
2. get someone you trust to build you a box
5. Dell
8. Gateway
10. E-machines (halfway decent budget machine, but I've seen some quirks in how my mom's machines run. Don't quite trust them myself.)

exactly
actually, my desktop is a part of my audio system
then I have a high requirement
since I have a good DA convertor, I'd prefer digital output (SPDIF)
and most of system don't have it
that I have to build myself to get it
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]