Sekhmet 
Posted: 18-Dec-2004, 12:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I got picked up by a local ghosthunting group! They're a really nice bunch...though any males coming along for hunts is going to be dog-paddling in estrogen. LOL

I'm going to be their resident historian, plus an investigator. They have to break me in on the new toys though...last time I was hunting I was armed only with a tape recorder, camcorder, and 35mm camera. Can't wait, though!

:: squeal, happydance ::
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 18-Dec-2004, 01:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Wow! That sounds soooooo cool! cool.gif Let us know how it goes... biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               
freekenny 
Posted: 20-Dec-2004, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo Sekhmet,
~ Wow! Now that is going to be loads of fun!! Lucky you!! Please keep us posted on how 'things' are going and what 'encounters' show up! ghost.gif
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 20-Dec-2004, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Aye, tape your shoes to your legs, you don't want to lose them while ghost hunting..it would hurt to run in socks...Bring some spirits with you to keep the other ones company when you run..... tongue.gif

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 20-Dec-2004, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

This is why duct tape is our friend. Actually, I'm not sure if we're going to be doing many hunts till spring unless we get something...oh, say...indoors with heat. We're not suicidal. lol.gif
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 03-Jan-2005, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

That sounds really fun! Let us all knows what "spooks" you find!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 23-Feb-2005, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Sekhmet,

Have you had any indoor investigations so far? How did things go? How did you get involved in this field to begin with, and have you been part of other groups/investigations before this? I can't wait to hear all about your experiences!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Haldur 
Posted: 25-Feb-2005, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Could I possibly join your ghost-hunting club? I think it'd be awesome!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
Sekhmet 
Posted: 25-Feb-2005, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Dreamer1 @ 23-Feb-2005, 01:51 PM)
Sekhmet,

Have you had any indoor investigations so far? How did things go? How did you get involved in this field to begin with, and have you been part of other groups/investigations before this? I can't wait to hear all about your experiences!

Dreamer1

Ok, get comfy. LOL Story time!

I've done lots of indoor investigations. Most have been private residences, but I've also been to places like Mansfield State Reformatory (Jail) in Ohio, Moundsville in West Virginia, and a few B&Bs/hotels...there might've been a few others, but off the top of my head I can't think of them. LOL

It all varies with any given investigation. Sometimes we get some good information, sometimes we come away with exactly jack. That isn't to say that a place isn't haunted if we didn't get anything, but rather that we didn't manage to pick anything up that would indicate it. In one night, there's only so much that can be done. A lot of times we won't know until we've reviewed things like audio tape and video at home to see if any anomalies were picked up that we didn't see/hear at the time. Add to that 35mm film, digital camera photos and the like, and we actually spend something like twice as much time reviewing data as we did spending time on site. Sometimes longer. Yes it's tedious, but it comes with the territory. And so far all I've been doing is audio tape and my camera, so I've been getting off light lately. angel_not.gif

I actually got into ghosthunting back in high school, many moons ago. It was part of...I believe a journalism project. All we really had was a video camera, and on our first time out we got something we couldn't explain. Considering my interest in ghosts even before that, I was hooked. The group I was in then went out on a couple of outings over that summer, but we were kids playing with half a clue, and so while we had a blast doing it, any data gathered at the time I'd toss out of hand because we weren't running with much in the way of protocols designed to weed out false positives.

Once in college I decided that after researching things a lot more, that I'd like to get a group together to do this regularly. So friends of mine from school got together, and we'd go to places like local cemeteries, churches and the like, then places like Gettysburg. On an outing to Gettysburg with just my boyfriend (now husband) and I, we befriended an innkeeper's daughter who had the same obsession level as I did, and the B&B was *very* haunted. This was before ghosthunting in Gettysburg was "kewl". We cut our teeth in some really good places to get activity, and the group grew. Comparitively speaking, we were so low tech at the time. But man, we had a lot of fun. And still got information.

But...like any group, people started to drift apart. Some graduated and moved back home, some got married, got jobs, and it fell apart of natural causes. Erik and I still went out on our own when we could, though. When marriage, children and all that it entails came along, we were on indefinite hiatus. I still kept up with things online, though.

Now that the girls are in school and we don't have to be tied to the house so much, I decided to start getting active again. I was already active on several forums for groups around the country, and by chance someone local tripped over me on the boards. We got to talking, got to know each other and...poof! I'm back in the saddle again! laugh.gif
Sekhmet 
Posted: 25-Feb-2005, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Haldur @ 25-Feb-2005, 08:51 PM)
Could I possibly join your ghost-hunting club? I think it'd be awesome!

That all depends on where you are. If you're in the Western Pennsylvania/Eastern Ohio area, then probably! If not, don't panic. There's groups *all* over the country and in Britain/Europe as well. Google "ghost hunting" or "paranormal" with your location, and I'm betting something will kick up. You can also go to places like the-atlantic-paranormal-society.com (TAPS of the Sci-Fi Channel fame), theshadowlands.net (I think that's right, off the top of my head), and a bunch of other places that have various groups' links.

If you're feeling less adventurous, there's a way you can tag along on an investigation on Saturday nights online. The Oklahoma City Ghost Club is(OKCGC) in a permanent location (an abandoned hospital) where they do their investigations and have it web-cast live. There are 5 cameras active 24/7, complete with audio, which is another Live365 station. Saturday investigations are generally around 11PM EST and last into the night. They're a wonderful group and I love them dearly. I also do the transcribing in the chats for the Saturday "sit-down" portion of the evening for those who can't get into audio, and for the team to have logged and review once they get back.

OKCGC's main site: www.okcgc.com
Direct link to cams/chat/audio page: www.researchwebcam.com

Hope that helps!
Haldur 
Posted: 26-Feb-2005, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Thank you, Sekhmet! I'm actually in Central Kentucky so I wouldn't be able to join your club but I have heard of similar goings-on in the area. There are plenty of cool, haunted places in Kentucky...can't think of any right off my head but I've been on some blogs and forums on ghost sites indicating some hot spots.

I love hearing about your field experiences...keep 'em comin'! smile.gif
Sekhmet 
Posted: 26-Feb-2005, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Come on over to OKCGC's site tonight and hang out with us!
Dreamer1 
Posted: 26-Feb-2005, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Haldur,
You might try a few of these sites also....

The Ohio Paranormal Investigation Network ( www.angelfire.com/oh3/opin/ )
-they have links to lots of other sites, including some in KY
Spiritseekers of Ohio ( www.spiritseekersofohio.net/links.html )
-also has lots of links for you
Hollow Hill is sometimes good, though it isn't updated as often
( www.hollowhill.com/welcome.htm )
The Ohio Ghost Hunters Society ( www.ohioghs.com/ )
-more links of interest, including the Northern Kentucky Paranormal Society
Tr-State Paranormal Research ( www.tsprghosts.com/ )
Ghost Chasers International ( www.ghostchasers.com/links.htm )

Sekhmet,

I enjoyed reading about how you got started with all of this, and am glad you're able to become involved again!

Are you familiar with the above websites, and if so then what do you think of them? There are so many sites dedicated to paranormal/ghosts/you name it that really are not credible or professionally run, but initially appear to be so. Another question for you, if you won't mind? I've found that some ghost hunting sites will tell you that ghosts cannot harm you (though they may certainly frighten you!), while other sites tell you almost the opposite and seem to go out of their way to play up frightening experiences with poltergeists and evil spirits. Which have you found to be true??

Thanks again. I'm definitely going to go visit the OKCGC site. Glad you're back doing what you love!

Dreamer1
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Sekhmet 
Posted: 26-Feb-2005, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Sekhmet,

I enjoyed reading about how you got started with all of this, and am glad you're able to become involved again! [/quote]

Thanks! I'm really happy to be active with a group again.

Are you familiar with the above websites, and if so then what do you think of them?  There are so many sites dedicated to paranormal/ghosts/you name it that really are not credible or professionally run, but initially appear to be so.

Honestly, I haven't had much contact with any of the ones you listed. I'll have to get a look around their sites and see what kicks up. smile.gif

There are a *lot* of groups and sites out there that, and this is a bit of a rant that might tick a few people off who read it later, are in it more for the excuse to scare themselves witless than to actually try to get any research done. They have not (or choose not to have) taken the time to learn protocol, safety, or even how their own equipment works, or know a false positive from a potential anomaly. Plus a great many of them are trespassing on private property without the proper permission that frankly, is not only necessary for legal purposes, but to keep their own credibility. They in turn make the entire field look bad.

Also, beware of *any* site dealing with the paranormal that's trying to sell you something. There's one that's a glaring example of this, and I'm not going to mention it on a public board. You'll know 'em when you see 'em.

In the end, keep a healthy skeptic's mindset when looking at any group's site and their information. That goes for mine too. My group tends to play and joke around, this is very true, but when we buckle down we're all business. A very good indication of whether or not they're "serious" is to read through their information/explanation pages, and also to see if they have loads and loads of pictures, especially those of "orbs". 99.9% of all orbs are contamination of some form, usually dust, pollen, moisture, rain, or something else airborne. Nothing really paranormal about them at all. smile.gif It's that .01% that interest me. LOL

Another question for you, if you won't mind?  I've found that some ghost hunting sites will tell you that ghosts cannot harm you (though they may certainly frighten you!), while other sites tell you almost the opposite and seem to go out of their way to play up frightening experiences with poltergeists and evil spirits.  Which have you found to be true??

Of course I don't mind! And truthfully? Both. Let me explain.

In more than nine times out of ten, any kind of "paranormal" activity is completely benign. Most anomalies are in the form of scent, sound, some visual, and "feelings", plus blips on various and sundry monitors and meters. Less common are voices, EVP (voices recorded on tape/digital media), and the occasional "touch", where someone might feel something on their hair, their hand, shoulders, etc. It's very, *very* true that you have, in just about any given situation, that one has more to fear from the living and the hazards on the site than any of the ghosts.

But there are spirits that I've run into, and others have as well, that are agressive. They are *rare*. Let me repeat that. They are RARE. I don't like using the label "evil" for several reasons, most of it being that it's a judgmental morality call on something with very little information. I don't use the word "demon" either not because I'm not a Christian, but rather because using a religious term for an entity gives it a lot more baggage than it necessarily warrants. We don't *know* what ghosts are. We don't *know* what any of this is, for sure. That's why we're out here, really.

To be perfectly blunt, the nasty ones are out there. The chances of finding them are very, very slim. Those that make a huge deal out of them are usually shooting for the drama factor. Hope that helps...I can clarify a bit more if you need me to.

Thanks again.  I'm definitely going to go visit the OKCGC site.  Glad you're back doing what you love!

Thanks for being interested! I hope I'm answering your questions well enough. smile.gif I'll look for you tonight!

Dreamer1
Sekhmet 
Posted: 26-Feb-2005, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Whew...man did I screw up the editing on that one! LOL
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]