Avonlea22 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

When I lived in Pennsylvania (in and near Harrisburg), the communities in the area would usually have Trick or Treat on a completely different night than Halloween. I always, and still do, think it's absurd. They used to give reasons that it was safer, blah, blah, blah. They'd also hold it from like 4 to 6pm, just before, or as, it got dark.

I remember Trick or Treat being at night, after it got dark. In fact, we would never even think of going out before it got dark. Trick or Treat was also always on Halloween.

I'm curious when Trick or Treat is in your neck of the woods.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Dunno - but it's something I ought to find out, seeing as how so many communities in our area are changing the day to Saturday! I think for this area, it is a logistical thing, it being easier to clean up the gigantic party that goes on in Chapel Hill each Halloween on a Sunday than on a Monday. I cannot speak for anything other than logistics, as the safety thing doesn't make sense to me unless you have very little children who you want to finish trick-or-treating before the bigger kids get out.

Your recollections are the same as mine. I never remember it being any other day than Halloween itself. And it was much cooler after dark!

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
Spradley 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

We wait until dark out here. Either Ann-Marie or I take our kids around the neighborhood and the other stays at home to take care of the other trick or treaters. ghost.gif

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

When is Halloween,

Any night you please "no." Our City Hall is lettting kids go in there building on Friday the 29th. The last year when Halloween was on a school night the Mayor decided to put it on the weekend. I agree I think Halloween should be left alone. If parents don't want there children on the streets after dark take them earlier. It is on Sunday the 31st am I right? smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

As a rule, holidays really have no significance in modern society other than the fun of a party. Gradually every holiday is getting moved to different days from the convenience of employers and officials. The only ones that haven't been shifted yet are the major Christian holidays and only because churches would have a bird, but that'll come too eventually. People in general just don't know what they're about anymore. Some even consider Halloween a "Devils Holiday" and know nothing about the history of it.

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

I think it's crazy too. I can't stand how people change it. Where I'm from you trick or treat on halloween at least, but it's from 4-6 (before it's even dark!). Bubba, you're right about how things are going to be changing soon. In the Catholic Church we have holy days of obligation where we have to go to mass on that day, etc. Anyway my point is back home they will celebrate that holy day on a saturday or sunday depending on what day of the week that holy day will fall on (ex: if the holy day is monday, we'll celebrate it Sunday). I hate how people change things like that holidays included. It bothers me. Some people are just lazy I guess.

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

The towns around here in southcentral Kentucky have designated Sat., the 30th, as the day the kids go out, from 4 to 6. I don't understand the reasoning either. As a child of the 50's, it was always on the 31st, after dark, and we didn't come home til our pillowcases were filled with goodies! tongue.gif
Oh well, the grandkids still enjoy it, no matter when it is celebrated. This year, after the trick or treating is finished, some of the parents are having a party for the kids, which will be enjoyed by all!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

On Halloween, after dark. Yup. That's the way it was in my childhood, and that wasn't nearly as long ago as yours, Avonlea. wink.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Blue_Rogue 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tulsa, Ok.

male

Well I've not heard of any changes here. Now alot of parents with young kids come out at dusk and get back in before dark. And we also has a lot of parents that take their children to shopping centers and Trick or Treat there.

I will cling to the Holloween ideas of my youth... after dark, on the 31st.

I have read alot about where this holiday came from (ther is a great link at www.history.com), and I always try to teach my kids about where holidays came from and why we celibrate them.

--------------------
Careful what you ask for, you might just get it.

House of Gordon

PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 27-Oct-2004, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I live in the western end of Pennsylvania, and...yeah, there isn't Halloween, there's Hallow-week. All of the developments and neighborhoods drive themselves nuts trying to not coincide their trick or treat night with others', children lay out plans for each neighborhood that would do a general proud, and the haul can defy belief.

Our trick or treat night was actually tonight. Weirdness. Then my girls are going back out on Saturday to trick or treat at my in-law's development, then on Sunday they're going out *again* for a kids' party and then yet another neighborhood, this time my girlfriend's.

I can't say as I remember all this trouble back when I was a kid, but then again, I was never allowed to go anywhere but my relatives' houses. unsure.gif I seem to recall being in high school when the separate nights started cropping up.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 06:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

This is the first year in my current home, and they sent a letter out saying we're doing halloween on the 31st, but from 5:00 - 6:30 for the little kids, then from 7:00 - 8:30 for the teenagers. That's crazy! I plan on going out with my little kids, then leaving the candy bowl on the porch and going to a girlfriend's neighborhood where they don't schedule it. It's no fun unless it's after dark! biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image
Avonlea22 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 07:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Irish Stepper @ 28-Oct-2004, 08:39 AM)
This is the first year in my current home, and they sent a letter out saying we're doing halloween on the 31st, but from 5:00 - 6:30 for the little kids, then from 7:00 - 8:30 for the teenagers. That's crazy! I plan on going out with my little kids, then leaving the candy bowl on the porch and going to a girlfriend's neighborhood where they don't schedule it. It's no fun unless it's after dark! biggrin.gif

That seems a bit annoying. What if you had teenagers and little kids. Sure does not make it too convenient.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I'd rather have the teenagers out in the daylight. They can get into less mischief that way! unsure.gif
Avonlea22 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 08:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

male

Very good point! smile.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

A lot of communities are moving it to Saturday, as my fellow Kentuckian mentioned above. The Herald-Leader sites religous reasons, that a lot of churches believe it will conflict with church activities by being on a Sunday. It kindof buggs me that they're willing to move a holiday like that, but in a way I see their point. Besides, they can't actually move the holiday, just the celebration of it. And since the current incarnation is rather based in a Christian world anyway. Let them take actions to affirm the status of God. Sounds like a plan to me. Doesn't change anything though. Halloween/Samain is still on 10/31. If someone wants to contest the choice to celebrate it on the day when it actually occurs then will be the time to defend it. Is anyone saying you can't celebrate Halloween on 10/31? I don't hear it. they're just moving the community event to what they believe won't conflict with CHurch in a predomenantly CHristian environment. As for the time of day though, it should always be just after dark smile.gif No fun otherwise. For anyone.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]