Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Serious Business: Fishing, What is YOUR approach?
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 23 2003, 04:48 PM)
We have Lake Trout (Mackinaw) and rainbows.

Janey Mae,

I have never fished for those either, mainly because we do not have them here. With the exception of the Rainbows but I fish them in the River here and not through the ice. I use nymphs and streamers for those here.

But from some of the TV programs that I have watched, you might want to fish with a spoon or a jig tipped with a minnow along the drop offs. Your best bet is to fish about a foot or two off the bottom.

But it would be better if someone who has more knowledge on this to answer you.

You might go to the Library and see if they have any thing to offer you or you might check your Internet.

By the way, I never wish anyone Good Luck but I do wish them Merriment. It is no good fishing if you are not having fun. Right? wink.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

Yes, fishing isn't fishing if it isn't fun smile.gif hmmmmm there's another gray moment.

I can hardly wait to try this! I'll look up some of the techniques for my area. After the first of the year we can fish the river again. It's usually closed from Dec. to June but we are supposed to thin out the rainbows and the hybrids so the cut throat can survive. The river never freezes.

I owe you a debt of gratitude for your assistance. beer_mug.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

My father was an avid fly fisherman... around Argyll, Inverness and Perthshire - with the odd sorty into Borders territory and further north into Caithness... When we were children it was a loooooooooong day to go in a boat onto the loch and sit, and sit, and sit... He was a fanatical fisherman - tied his own flies etc.

Then I met the love of my life. My Dad converted him from sea angling and what we call 'coarse' fishing to fly fishing... His life was changed. He became as much a fanatic as Dad....

Soooooo, now we compromise. 'We' go fishing; ie he wades into the water or sits in a boat... I sit on the loch-side or river bank and read a book...... I then cook the results of his 'fishing trip'....

He fishes for brown trout, salmon, rainbow trout. He still loves to go sea angling too.... cod etc.

He loves to fish, I love to cook........ a marriage made in heaven. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 07:26 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Catriona @ Dec 23 2003, 06:11 PM)
Soooooo, now we compromise.  'We' go fishing; ie he wades into the water or sits in a boat...  I sit on the loch-side or river bank and read a book......  I then cook the results of his 'fishing trip'....

Catriona,

If you plan to sit around reading while they are fishing, there is a good book I would suggest reading.

"The Compleat Angler" by Izzak Walton.

It was published in 1653, a good story of Angling but there is much more to it than that. There is a good story line along with some poetry. I think that you would enjoy it. I most certainly did and I am getting ready to read it again. thumbs_up.gif

As a matter of fact I enjoyed the book so much the first time I read it, I bought a copy of it. It was a used copy printed in 1912 I found on ebay.
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

For the serious Trout Fisherman, I again recommend "The Compleat Angler" here too. As for that anyone, I think would enjoy it.

Back to the Trout Fisherman, another book I would recommend is "Trout" by Ray Bergman. A very good book for techniques on Fly Fishing in a River or Lake, along with recipes for tying flies, tying a variety of knots, along with some stories of fishing memories.

If you are looking just for reading material dealing with the Fly Fishing line, is "Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders" by John Gierach. This is more of just for fun reading.
PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 03:15 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

My father's copy is on my bookshelves cool.gif Husband bought his own before we were bequeathed Dad's books - so we have two copies now.

The restaurant/Hotel the Compleat Angler at Marlow in Buckinghamshire is an amazing place on the River Thames. I recall that it dates back to the mid 1600s. Here's a URL for one of the sites which advertise the place, and a few more along the River Thames
http://www.thecompleatangler.com/wheretostay.html
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 23 2003, 03:23 PM)

From that point on, he never said a word about how he could eat anything again.

Was that Ornery of me or what. rolleyes.gif

Beware of the Humor of the Irish!!!! evil.gif eek.gif dribble.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 07:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 23 2003, 04:08 PM)
And more long underwear. biggrin.gif

The first thing you need to know, is to tell if the Ice is any good or not.

If the Ice looks white DO NOT GO OUT ON IT. This is a soft Ice and you can easily fall through.

If the Ice looks black you are safe as long as the Ice is thick enough.

The rule on Ice goes as follows.
2" is safe for a man walking
3" is safe for a man on a horse
4" is safe for an automobile
6" is safe for a train.

I never go out until it is at least 4" I know I will be safe then.

A good snow mobile suit with a hood helps with a GOOD pair of Pack boots.

These are the items that I take with me.

1. You need something to cut the Ice such as an Ice Auger.
2. Ice scoop for the broken ice in the hole
3. A bucket to sit on and carry my tackle and bait and to put the fish in when I go home.
4. Usually a short rod with light line but it depends on what you are fishing for.

As for being a beginner. Do not go out by yourself. Always be smart and keep aware of what is going on around you. Stay away from any place that has running water near or below and stay away from any springs.

First of all BE SAFE!

A nice lawn chair and plenty of snacks and antifreeze is good too!!!!
Don't forget your sunglasses. Ice fishing gives new meaning to "BRIGHT"! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 23 2003, 04:48 PM)
We have Lake Trout (Mackinaw) and rainbows. Never fished for the ones you mentioned. My son did bucket catch some blue gill once and put them in his bath tub. He named them and told me it was his aquarium. But that's a different story. laugh.gif I've seen meal worms before so maybe that's what we use here. I'll find out.

Worms, minnows, bullheads are good for trout, if that doesn't work, you can always try a Dupont lure! Just don't get caught. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Catriona @ Dec 23 2003, 06:11 PM)
My father was an avid fly fisherman... around Argyll, Inverness and Perthshire - with the odd sorty into Borders territory and further north into Caithness... When we were children it was a loooooooooong day to go in a boat onto the loch and sit, and sit, and sit... He was a fanatical fisherman - tied his own flies etc.

Then I met the love of my life. My Dad converted him from sea angling and what we call 'coarse' fishing to fly fishing... His life was changed. He became as much a fanatic as Dad....

Soooooo, now we compromise. 'We' go fishing; ie he wades into the water or sits in a boat... I sit on the loch-side or river bank and read a book...... I then cook the results of his 'fishing trip'....

He fishes for brown trout, salmon, rainbow trout. He still loves to go sea angling too.... cod etc.

He loves to fish, I love to cook........ a marriage made in heaven. rolleyes.gif

This reminds me of an personals add I once saw: Wanted, good woman who likes to clean and cook fish and owns a boat. Please send a picture of the boat. biggrin.gif tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 24 2003, 07:12 AM)
Worms, minnows, bullheads are good for trout, if that doesn't work, you can always try a Dupont lure! Just don't get caught. tongue.gif

What's a Dupont lure, mighty sir?
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 23 2003, 07:37 PM)
For the serious Trout Fisherman, I again recommend "The Compleat Angler" here too. As for that anyone, I think would enjoy it.

Back to the Trout Fisherman, another book I would recommend is "Trout" by Ray Bergman. A very good book for techniques on Fly Fishing in a River or Lake, along with recipes for tying flies, tying a variety of knots, along with some stories of fishing memories.

If you are looking just for reading material dealing with the Fly Fishing line, is "Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders" by John Gierach. This is more of just for fun reading.

I shall go in search of these books! Thank you for the recommendations! I love books but seem to be finding less time to read since I've discovered this site. Dear me. laugh.gif

A wee note of misfortune for me, last night my husband discovered PartyPoker.com and that he can play for free. I went to bed as I couldn't play here. sad.gif Schanizzle! laugh.gif

Richard Bercot 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 24 2003, 11:16 AM)
A wee note of misfortune for me, last night my husband discovered PartyPoker.com and that he can play for free. I went to bed as I couldn't play here. sad.gif Schanizzle! laugh.gif

Janey Mae,

While your husband is on the computer playing poker, maybe this will give you the time you need to do some of your reading and tying flies.

I have been having the same problem tying my flies, I use to tie everday, at least one or two a day. But since I found this site, it has consumed a great deal of my time. Now since we have this thread going, I am starting to get itchy fingers to get started again and to get myself back out on the river again.
PMEmail Poster                
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

The ol' boy is trying to push me off the puter as we speak. *sigh* I'd love to see some of your flies. I've not tied any in a great while. You are right, this would be a good time to start.

Well, I'm off to drive back to my house with many many family obligations. I'll be back on the 26th. Merry Christmas, Happy Channukkah, Happy Solstice, and anything else you can think of.

Take care of you! biggrin.gif newyear.gif
Eamon 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

The only Ice Fishing story I can contribute took place in upstate Pennsylvania about 2 years ago. All my trout fishing buddies and myself rented a cabin on a lake for a weekend. As we unloaded our vehicles, I realized the fishing was not a priority. There was one tackle box, and like 5 cases of beer. Still, I was excited about the prospect of catching fish. That was dashed completely when they used a chainsaw to cut the holes in the ice. All we caught was a cold, but we had quite a good time not catching fish, although I don't remember that much of it! wink.gif

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]